Pickle Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 31s
Overall Rank = 126/233
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 28/40
Pre-race routine:

Ok lets start with Saturday. Saturday morning I went for an easy bike ride just to loosen my legs. Six miles into the ride some stupid jackass in a bright yellow Ford F-150 forced me off the road onto the shoulder where I hit a rock and got a flat tyre. Luckily I stayed upright and there was no other damage than the pinch punture.
After I'd walked home 4 miles or so I rushed into Brainerd to find a bike shop to get it fixed. When I got the wheel home I discovered that they'd given me the wheel back without the Q/R Axle. The shop was now closed!!! Luckily I did have a spare so I was going to be able to race. You'd think that was enough to go wrong but read on...
Event warmup:

Usual breakfast. drive to the race. Set up. Clif bar 30 mins before the start.
Swim
  • 21m 50s
  • 962 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim out was nice. I kept a good even pave despite being hit and kicked from all angles. Upon making the turn I was looking straight into the sun and immediately went off course. Got my bearings from a marshalls boat and headed back to shore keeping close to the bouys and making sure I was going in the right direction. This time there was no panic.
What would you do differently?:

My swim is still painfully slow. I have to improve my technique and as a consequence my sped.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Quite unremarkable.

Nothing
Bike
  • 55m 40s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off good and strong overtaking plenty of other cyclists. Then when changing gear going up the long hill my chain jumped off. So I had to dismount to put it back on. The chain decided to be awkward and with my hurried fumbling fingers I didn't help matters. Onve I got back on I cycled as hard as I could to make up all the lost time. Which considering the road surface wasn't all that smooth a ride. So I probably didn't take on enough liquid to prepare for the run

I don't know a chain can jump off anytime I guess. Just one of those things
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again a thoughtless B@st@rd racked his bike in my space So I didn't see my space as I ran past it.
Run
  • 33m 9s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

To be honest I'm surprised my run rate is that fast I felt I was much slower. The sun was gettting up and in some places there was no shelter at all.

I certainly feel that If my bike leg had been trouble free, and I''d kept taking on liquid like I should have I could have run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Food, stretches and cheer on the rest of the finishers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Glare, bike chains, road surface...

Event comments:

I was really disappointed with the road surface.

Last updated: 2005-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:50 | 962 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/233
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Out and Back in Whipple Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:40 | 17 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Public roads around Baxter. Started on some pretty rough roads in the residential area around the lake. Then rode on the smooth shoulder of Hwy 210 a main highway that was quite busy. Then a long hill that was worse than it looked. Then the big disappointment 4 miles on Hwy 77 where the shoulder was quite frankly pitiful. With cracks across the surface every 15-20 feet. This is a road to some of the most prestigious golf courses in Minnesota and really should have been better, The road surface was not much better being a coarse grade asphalt. Then as we got back into the rseidential area the roads got rough again. This cycle course is without a doubt the worst I've ridden this season.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:09 | 04 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling asphalted out and back though trees and houses. with 2 water stations so that meant you had 4 opportunities to take on water.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-23 3:41 PM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: Lakes Country Triathlon

2005-08-29 12:46 PM
in reply to: #232083

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Lakes Country Triathlon
Well;
Things couldn't have gone more wrong on this one...
2005-08-29 12:57 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
ian, sorry to hear you had a disappointing race. still, your times were good. even witha bike issue, your bike time was nothing to sneeze at - and your running pace was great!
2005-08-29 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was thinking the same thing as Autumn! Your times are great despite all your trouble! Well done! And your swim time has improved so much! Way to go!
2005-08-30 10:05 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
I think my race report makes me sound more disappointed than I am. I'd never swam half a mile before so to swim that far without any panic was a big plus for me. Ok the chain jumping I am disappointed with that and the road surface did suck big time. My run was faster than I thought. So there are more plusses than minuses in there. I guess I'm just disappointed the season is now over except for the marathon (and maybe) autumn woods 10K
2005-08-31 6:18 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
You should carry a pump or CO2 inflator, spare tube and a patch kit on your rides. You also need to learn how to change a tube. Spend some time this winter learning some basic bike maintenance and you will thank yourself.

Sometimes your chain will jump off the chainring when you hit a large bump, especially if you are shifting at the time you hit the bump. This happened to me at the Alexandria race when I was going over some RR tracks.

Reading your report and hearing from a friend of mine, I am glad I didn't race.

Ian, you have a great base to work from. I expect that I will see some significantly better times from you next year.

David

2005-08-31 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Dang, Ian, that had to be tough getting your momentum back on the hill when your chain came off. I've only ridden really around the Brainerd area so I guess I don't know any better when it comes to road conditions. I can't wait to ride on some smooth decent surfaces.
Corey
2005-08-31 1:20 PM
in reply to: #237340

User image

molto veloce mama
hey ian, i'll be at autumn woods this year too (again).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakes Country Triathlon Rss Feed