General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-10 4:30 PM

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Bike fitting

Does anybody have recommendations on a good bike fitter in Phoenix?  What's your experience with them? After doing a couple tri's on my road bike, I'm ready to spend some money on a good tri bike. 

Thanks

Chris

2011-05-12 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3492267

Subject: RE: Bike fitting

Jeff Lockwood is the Master!!!  His email is:  [email protected]

He is not associated with any bike shop, has his own company in Chandler.  I knew of several people who went to him, and found major improvements in their fit.  I had 2 previous "fits" on my tri bike in the 2 years I've owned my bike, was always having issues with my left hip.  Jeff spent 11.5 hours TOTAL time with me and my fit, he is very detailed and meticulous.  The difference in my bike has been huge.  I did a pre and post CP30 test with my coach......increase of 27% average watts just from a good fit!  And my hip issues have been non-existent.  I wish I had gone to him before purchasing my tri bike!  

2011-05-13 12:30 AM

User image

Mesa
Kevin @ Tribe Multisport is a great fitter. I have been fit on all of my bikes by him and if you buy new parts (seat, bars, etc.) he rechecks your fit for you.

2011-05-13 1:09 AM

User image

Mesa
Kevin @ Tribe Multisport is a great fitter. I have been fit on all of my bikes by him and if you buy new parts (seat, bars, etc.) he rechecks your fit for you.

2011-05-13 7:54 AM

Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys...  At the moment I have a fitting appointment with Kevin at Iron Gear Sports.  I'll post up how it went when I'm done.
2011-06-19 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
How did your fittting go? I'm getting the bug to get a tri bike and was wondering where to go to get a good fit.

2011-06-21 11:06 AM

Phoenix, AZ

Overall I'm happy with the fit but there were a couple little issues that bugged me.  It took a few hours and Kevin answered any and all questions that I had for him.  I felt that he was knowledgeable and didn't rush me at all.  We went back and forth on settings like you would at an optometrist.  "Which is better ... Option A or Option B?".  This was repeated over and over as we changed positions and angles.  Additionally they had 3 or 4 saddles for me to try and I wasn't expecting that at all so that was a nice bonus.   I realize how uncomfortable my Fizik airone is on my roadbike after sitting on some other saddles.

The few nitpicks that bugged me...

1) When I made my appointment a week earlier, I had asked Steve(owner) if they had a 56/58 sizes in stock on a few bikes and he confirmed they did.  After the fitting, they didn't have anything in my size so it was kind of a let down to not be able to try my new measurements on a bike.  They were able to get a bike in within a week but I had already found a Trek Speed Concept elsewhere.  

2) Kevin installed shims under my cleats but put one in wrong so it made the angle worse and I had soreness in my knee within 10 miles.  No big deal as I swapped it myself and all was normal again.  

3) When the fit was done, we started reviewing bike geometries on ST to see what fit me.  This is where I felt like he was trying to make a few bikes work that were not compatible with me.  There were better alternatives out there but not ones they carried.  

4) Not really a complaint but more a suggestion for them.  They don't give apply any of the fitting cost towards a bike purchase.  It's not a big deal to me but I think it would entice customers to purchase through them.

So to summarize, I think my complaints are fairly minor and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Iron Gear.  I ended up getting the Speed Concept elsewhere and the fitter applied my measurements from IGS to the Trek.  I have 250 miles on it now and everything feels great.  The only complaint I've heard is from my girlfriend.  She says I'm too quick when I drop into the aerobars.  I'll take that as a good thing.  

Edited by cdriver 2011-06-21 11:07 AM
2011-07-10 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Will they fit you if you don't buy the bike from them? I bought a bike off craigslist. It rides really well but I bet if I get a good fitting I will be able to get better results.
2011-07-10 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3589221

Phoenix, AZ
Yes, they can fit you to your exsiting bike.

Edited by cdriver 2011-07-10 6:14 PM
2011-07-10 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran

Do you know what they charge?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting Rss Feed