Triathlon Western Australia
21C / 70F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 25s
Overall Rank = 689/1435
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 103/181
Pre-race routine:

Flew over to sunny Perth on the Monday before the race, had one run and one bike in between cathing up with a lot of old friends and work colleagues which did a great job of stopping me getting too anxious about my 2nd HIM.
Drove down with friends on the Friday, registered, checked the bike in, and sat and chatted to Jeff & Sean for a while before heading back for a meal of lasagne and bollagnaise with the roommate, my ex-boss, who was also racing.
Up at 5, brekkie of cereal, toast with vegemite & a banana washed down with OJ. Then headed down to the race, got the bike all sorted, wetsuit on, Gatorade and gel down the neck, and was all set!
Event warmup:

Got in for a short swim, the water was warmer than standing on the beach, but maybe that's because I'd warmed the wetsuit up :)
Stood around waiting to start and all of a sudden 2 dolphins appeared 50m from the shore by the jetty. I took this as a good omen that I was about to swim like one myself!
Then we were off.
Swim
  • 36m 7s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Set off right on the inside to go the shortest way round, whereas most people set off further to the outside. This made it the shortest, and quietest way round.
For the first time ever I think, I actually found feet to follow, but this was probably due to new OWS goggles that let me actually see! With my sighting not being the best, I also decided to trust the people round me and concentrate on the swim which turned out really well.
The swell picked up a little, but after all the choppy, nasty swelly swims I've raced in over in Melbourne all summer, this was like a duckpond in comparison. As such, I found it my most enjoyable swim ever. Also helped that my wetsuit, which normally stresses my shoulders, must have been pulled up just right as I could barely tell I was wearing it.
Cruised back to shore thinking I'd be out in around 37-38 minutes given I haven't swum quite as much as last year, and was amazed to see 36:07 on the clock. Result! And even better news once I saw Jeff's result of 36:07! Now if only I could bike and run as quick.......!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, perfect swim for me. Training more would obviously help, but given the training, this was the best I could ever hope for. A great start to the day.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

676 overall, and 94 in AG.
Wetsuit off, socks and shoes on (which is the reason I'm fairly slow here), and off I went. I was racked right at the end nearest the swim which was great in finding my bike quickly but it did mean a long run with the bike both out of T1 and back into T2 which wasn't the best.

Sockless tri shoes..... been saying that for ages, but for next summer, a definite!
Bike
  • 2h 49m 14s
  • 90.1 kms
  • 31.94 km/hr
Comments:

First leg out was great, into a reasonable headwind but kept telling myself I would reap the rewards on the way back. Got the HR down from 165 to a comfortable 155 and held it. Averaged 31.5 going out before coming back at 35.4 for a first lap time of 1:20:55 putting me right on track for my stretch target of between 2:40 and 2:45.
Then....... the wind picked up, a lot, and the 3rd leg was a painful ride into the strongest wind I've ridden in for a while. For a fair part of this leg, I was sat on 25kmh going as quick as I could without blowing up. It hurt when all the strong cyclists from the wave behind me started passing me on this part, but I did my best in telling myself I wasn't racing them, I was racing the other people around me also struggling. Averaged 27.8 on this leg.
The last leg, back to town was a tailwind again with more crosswinds which made controlling the bike a bit tricker but still got back to a 34 average. Nearly missed one of the turns when I was admiring a nice rider/bike/rear disc wheel when I heard the carbon brakes screech. Looked up and thought I'd better turn. Without that screech I would have probably gone headfirst into the barriers..... Oops!
So, an overall split slower than I wanted but this was down to the nasty headwind on that 3rd leg rather than my lack of fitness.

There's some seriously quick cyclists in my age group as can be seen from my AG ranks compared to overall.... Hmmmm
Lack of leg strength probably slowed my down. I'm fine when it's flat but wind and hills show my lack of power. More hills training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

644 overall, 104 in AG. Having to run a long way with the bike slowed me down. Tried to put my gels in my back pocket before realising I should just run and put them in afterwards.
Shoes slipped on no problems, and I was off.

Not much
Run
  • 2h 03m 29s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 51s  min/km
Comments:

3 consistent laps which was a huge improvement on last year.
First lap included a quick pit-stop but was round in 39:xx. Just kept plodding along, being passed by what seemed like everyone while hardly passing anyone at all, but did lap 2 in 41:xx and lap 3 in 42:xx with NO WALKING at all. This was huge for me, as I knew since last year I could run a decent (for me) HM, but putting it all together after the bike and swim was the big challenge. Couldn't have been happier with this, cardio wise I was comfortable, I just couldn't pick the pace up at the end due to tired legs.

Nothing, just work on running stronger and quicker.
Post race
Warm down:

Muffins, anzac buscuits, water, juice, bananas & apples.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual - talent. This was as good as I could have expected given the conditions. I wanted to go under 5:40 and thought a 5:30 was doable but the wind on the bike stopped that from happening.

Event comments:

Awesome volunteers and Busso locals make this the best race I've ever done.
Managed to catch up with Magda on the Tuesday, before I flew back home, which was was great.
It was also wonderful to get some sun on my back, given the summer we've had in Melbourne, and typically enough we landed to a temperature of 9C and rain!
Next stop, IM time, and have a day to decide whether to do IMOZ next year instead of the Busso half or wait until IMWA in Dec next year......

Last updated: 2010-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:07 | 1900 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 99/181
Overall: 664/1435
Performance: Good
Garmin shows 125 as Avg HR but not sure about how that works in water
Suit: Orca full suit
Course: 850m out, alongside the jetty, turn right for 200m, turn right and 850m back to shore
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:49:14 | 90.1 kms | 31.94 km/hr
Age Group: 667/181
Overall: 110/1435
Avg HR 156
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 x 45k laps out and back from Busselton
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:29 | 21.1 kms | 05m 51s  min/km
Age Group: 103/181
Overall: 692/1435
Avg HR 169
Course: 3 x 7k laps followed by a 100m finishing shute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-10 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Busselton Half Ironman

2011-05-10 11:49 PM
in reply to: #3492719

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: Busselton Half Ironman

Great race Nigel. Super fast swim time he he  You were probably drafting my feet!!

You really pulled it all together this year and had the best race, really happy for you. Was good to catch up even if it was for a little chat.

See you at Busso IM 2012 Sub 11 for you and Sub 10 for me!

2011-05-11 1:44 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Great race Nigel, well done! Thanks for the coffee on Tues. Looking fwd to seeing which IM race you choose and watching your progress. Keep up the good work!
2011-05-12 11:20 PM

User image

Perth, WA
Well done mate for completing yet another Half Ironman! Interested in knowing what goggles you use in the swim, perhaps you could send me a PM. I also wear socks for any distance from Olympic and above, seems to stop the blisters. Also, nice running, I know the problems you had a month or so ago, so again well done! Hope to see you here again next year!
2011-05-15 12:55 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
well done mate, with all the calf problems and the move over east and then having to train in manky Melbourne weather this was an awesome race.  the main thing seems to be that you really enjoyed yourself out there.   You are just getting better and better with each year and I so look forward to following your training towards the Ironman. so proud of you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton Half Ironman Rss Feed