General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body shape, not getting lean Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-11 3:43 AM

Veteran
Subject: Body shape, not getting lean
I'm 45 and weigh anything between 62 and 65kg. So I am slim. Before getting into tris, I did mainly running and did a marathon. Found with all the running, I managed to get rid of some tummy flab. Since I focusing on tris, this has reversed. I do heaps of training, but my weight is at the upper end of my usual range and I feel fat...take that to be a relative term.Are there others in the same boat? Can I change anything?Gff

2011-05-11 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3492801

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Body shape, not getting lean
Serious weight training. As in, pick things up and put them down.
2011-05-11 7:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
eat less.  eat cleaner.  keep up the training and it'll come off.
2011-05-11 7:45 AM

Veteran
Austin, TX

body mass is almost entirely controlled by diet. eat a bit less and youll weigh a bit less.

and as we get older sometimes we have to progressively watch our diet more and more  to stay thin

2011-05-11 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3493016

User image

Pro
Houston
jackmott - 2011-05-11 7:45 AM

body mass is almost entirely controlled by diet. eat a bit less and youll weigh a bit less.

and as we get older sometimes we have to progressively watch our diet more and more  to stay thin

I agree with this, especially when it comes to tummy fat.

2011-05-11 8:01 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
There are some really good papers out there that show that as you exercise more, you eat more. Lots of people eat enough to offset the calories expended exercising, so while they are more fit, they are not more skinny. (all of that working out makes me hungry!)

I will tell you that my body shape had not changed at all during my first three years of triathlon training and racing. I was like you, lean but not as lean as I would like to be. I am now training for my first 140.6 and my calorie expenditure must finally be outstripping my intake because all of a sudden I am starting to see the "triathlon body" that I really wanted from this.

For me, and most, it really comes down to watching what I eat and not over-fueling for workouts.

2011-05-11 8:04 AM

So you are asking about big stomach. 

Most likely it is the food.  

If I were you, I would put myself on a strict diet.  No artificial sugars, little to no artificial anything in fact.  Little sodium, little red meat.   Fill up on vegetables, fruit, chicken, and fish.  No desserts, nothing.  Obviously no liquor, fruit juices, etc.  Some tips I give:  dont do your own grocery shopping, get a family member or friend to do your shopping...will avoid buying junk...and if junk isnt in the house...it wont be eaten.  I also rarely eat out.  Its very tough to eat healthy while dining out. you can try really hard to say healthy, but lets face it...restaurants dont make money selling healthy food.. things that appear to be healthy have bad things in it and its just a bad experience. 

Few important things:

1) You never want to feel hungry. That is a bad thing.  If you feel hungry, get an apple, banana, sodium-free saltines, light sodium pretzels, etc.  Keep the metabolism up.  Starving yourself and then eating a ton will just add on the weight as your body stores the calories. 

2) Throw in some weights in your routine.  Weights help with increase the metabolism.  (you may actually gain a little weight because of more muscle, but your mass might actually decline...(if that makes sense)).  Dont need to be a gym rat, but just try some different routines. 

3) Increase cardio, i.e. running.  If knees are bad, do it on the bike or swim and I really mean increase it, you should be sweating sodium at the end of your workout.    

4) Dont be afraid to go for that hamburger and fries after that really intense workout.   Some days I feel so beat, I just eat a meal off the diet, and its great, and at the end of the day, it ends up helping me because my next workout is so much better because I feel better. 

5) Include a core excercise routine into your training. 3-4 times a week do a 15 minute ab and lower back workout. Go to youtube and just type in 15 minute pilate ab workout or something similar.  You will need to make sure you remove the fat that is in front of your abs to actually see gains, but even you have some fat, core exercises can really be great. 

6) if all else fails, just change it up.  eat differently, try different workouts, everyone is different and maybe you will see better results doing something different. 

Edited by iOrlando 2011-05-11 8:05 AM
2011-05-11 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
You can't target fat in any particular area with any particular workout.  The only way to lose fat in one area is to lose fat in general.  Genetics and sex determine where it goes and where it leaves and in what order.  You want to see your abs?  Lose fat.
2011-05-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3492916

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
TheClaaaw - 2011-05-11 8:03 AM Serious weight training. As in, pick things up and put them down.

I fight my weight whenever I just do aerobic training.  I find it helps me a lot when I lift 2-3 days per week.  Not super heavy anymore but moderate weight/high rep circuit training.

When I was lifting five days a week, I never had any weight issues.  It was only when I stopped lifting and focused on primarily on aerobic tri training that my weight started to creep upwards. 

My cardiologist has also urged me to start lifting more to slow down upper body muscle loss as I get older (going to be 58 in a couple of weeks).

Mark
2011-05-11 9:00 AM

1. Doing at least a little weight training can help tremendously.  Weight training, as a stimulus, encourages your body to add more weight as muscle instead of fat when you gain, and shed less muscle(and more fat) when you lose.

2. As others have mentioned, try to eat clean and not over-eat.  While I can't find the link, there have been studies that suggest that big blood sugar spikes(from either high-sugar processed foods, and/or single massive meals) trigger fat storage mechanisms in the body.  In general, the body can only add muscle at a certain rate, so short-term spikes of consumption are likely to be stored almost entirely as fat.

For me in particular, improving my diet has helped my overall weight control, while resistance training has definitely made a difference in my body composition.

Edited by jsflyer 2011-05-11 9:02 AM
2011-05-11 5:42 PM

Veteran

Hey...

Came into work this morning and saw all the posts...thank you very much...

I think..

1. I probably over eat as an excuse for the amount of training I do...need to keep an eye on that

2. I have done a bit of weight training...but drop it when time is tight with a focus on getting more time in the pool or bike..maybe re-introduce that

3. Diet ... although I don't eat too much junk..I am a veggo with a traditional indian diet which has plenty of carbs..with low concentration of protein in the lentals..but I often take protein shakes..

I can get a change in body shape by doing the typical swim/bike/run training and excusing to eat a bit more!

Cheers gff

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body shape, not getting lean Rss Feed