General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-11 9:09 AM

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Subject: Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb

1005HRS...I almost forgot, my pinky is still numb on my left hand. It has been this way going on three days, thoughts? I am going to get my bike adjusted after work, however, I am thinking that the damage is done. I woke up this morning and it feels like it is spreading into the hand. It doesn't go away. I am concerned, but also don't want to go to the doctor to have him say stop riding. That is not an option, I am working on the bike adjustments, but seriously need to know if my ulnar nerve will heal on its own? Thanks BT Family for the advice.

2011-05-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3493235

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb

I have the same problem.  Have been seeing a chiropractor who does ARTS - seems to help a bit, or at least, slowdown the sorsening progress.  But no one can do anything and it's not going to heal if you keep doing the same thing to aggravate your injury. 

Try not to tense up the shoulder and not to grip on the handle bar too tightly.  This is the major culprit for me - I get nervous on the bike.  Irrantional, I know, but I have some sort of a phobia when my feet are not supported by somthing solid when I am above ground (some sort of height-phobia).  I cannot get over it (either cope with it or not do the activity).  But I find changing hand positions frequently helps - at the drop, on the horn, on the top of the bar, aero etc.  Actually aero makes it worse for me.  But the idea is not to lock yourself in a single position. 

Stretch, a lot.  and massage. 

Hope this helps.

2011-05-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3493423

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Subject: RE: Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb
Thanks a lot D.K., it sounds like we have it in common. I do switch a lot, and have the same problem with being tense. I feel clumsy and wobbily on the bike. I'm scared of falling and ruining the frame, ect. Thanks for taking the time to write. God's Speed!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb Rss Feed