User image

corpus christi area
Subject: vegtables YUCK

2011-05-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3495163

User image

corpus christi area
Subject: RE: vegtables YUCK
hit the enter button prematurely, anyway dont like them but i know i need them, would do the salad thing but since i dont like dressings either(and most are bad).  any suggestions for dressings for the picky eater?????
2011-05-12 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY

make your own dressing!  Take what you like and mix it together.  My favorite is balsamic, olive oil, some salt and pepper, garlic powder and a little bit of brown or dijon mustard.  Mix it up, and you're done!   

I love veggies, but they're definitely one of those things that if you don't like them, you're sunk.  Try vegetables different ways - ie: raw v. cooked, roasted with olive oil and garlic, on the grill on a shish kabob.  Be creative.  You can also puree a lot of vegetables and add them to foods to get the nutrients without eating the real thing (I have a friend who is a master at doing this for her kids who won't eat their veggies!).

2011-05-12 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY

make your own dressing!  Take what you like and mix it together.  My favorite is balsamic, olive oil, some salt and pepper, garlic powder and a little bit of brown or dijon mustard.  Mix it up, and you're done!   

I love veggies, but they're definitely one of those things that if you don't like them, you're sunk.  Try vegetables different ways - ie: raw v. cooked, roasted with olive oil and garlic, on the grill on a shish kabob.  Be creative.  You can also puree a lot of vegetables and add them to foods to get the nutrients without eating the real thing (I have a friend who is a master at doing this for her kids who won't eat their veggies!).

2011-05-12 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

I love vegetables but get bored easily ... I find if I have a really good roasted red pepper hummus to dip them in (think raw carrots, broccoli, celery, red peppers, etc) I have no trouble getting excited about that particular snack.  Plus the hummus adds the bit of protein you should be having with each snack/meal.

2011-05-15 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
So, what does the rest of your diet consist of?

2011-05-16 9:58 AM

User image

corpus christi area

my normal diet- well fast food is a staple, and fried is a major ingredients. im sure i can do i tri on my normal diet BUT i would like to finish a tri come tell my friend/coworker and not have them look at me like its APRIL FOOLS DAY. got the same look when i did the dallas half marathon.  so i figured i would start grilling foods, eating a good breakfast, counting cal., and (hate even saying it) eating vegtables.  i figure tri's take a lot out of you and since i have a regular life (or irregular) kids, job, etc.  i wanna get the most out of this without feeling exhausted every day. 

2011-05-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3501404

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
brosemail - 2011-05-16 9:58 AM

so i figured i would start grilling foods, eating a good breakfast, counting cal., and (hate even saying it) eating vegtables. 

Good start! Getting away from fast and fried foods will likely leave you feeling better and with more energy.

Do you like ANY vegetables? If you can find one or two you kinda-sorta like, start with those and get creative.

I really like tossing veggies with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar (which by the way also makes a great salad dressing - google for the ideal ratio) and roast at 400 degrees until they are browned up. It really changes the flavor.

Or, toss the veggies you kinda-sorta don't hate into a dish you really like. I put broccoli in with pasta or rice - the last 5 minutes the pasta is boiling in the water I just dump the broccoli right in with the pasta. Or I put it in with the rice at the very beginning and it all cooks up together. Super easy.

You mentioned grilling... do you have one of those veggie pans for the grill? Makes it really easy to toss in veggies with a little olive oil and cook at the same time with other stuff. Maybe toss in some onions and peppers for a fajita night - add fajita seasoning to the veggies to spice them up... that kind of thing.

Something else you might try is to experiment with dips. Yes, some of those dips are downright UNhealthy for you, but if you check the ingredients and calories/fat content there are actually some out there that are better than others. The other day I found a Greek yogurt/feta/dill dip that is only 60 calories per serving and man it got me eating veggies it was so good! I won't tell you how many servings I ate though Embarassed

Edited by lisac957 2011-05-17 11:00 AM
2011-05-17 1:11 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
grilling or roasting previously phooey veggies taste yummy.  I almost always now roast my veggies.  soooooo much better.  Also, things like using cauliflower to make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. 
2011-05-17 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3504278

User image

Veteran
You can also throw a little lemon juice on your steamed or roasted vegtables.
2011-05-17 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
A blender or food processor can go a long ways. I'm pretty good at pureeing vegetables beyond recognition and hiding them in something else. Usually a protein shake but sometimes spaghetti sauce or other food I like. Powdered greens like Kyo greens (I buy online) can be mixed into fruit juice and will help you get some nutrients until you figure out what you like. I'm picky to the extreme and it's been an ongoing battle but I've managed to work with it and my diet has gradually improved. Good luck! 

2011-05-18 5:26 AM

Agree with some of the other suggestions(particularly grilling), but one of the key things I've done on the path to a healthier diet is to search for things that add flavor without adding much fat/calories.  Namely, spices.  (Peppers also fit the bill - though they're veggies, so...)

In addition to grilling, try things like garlic, pepper(black, white, cayenne, or other varieties), curry powder, and any other herbs/spices you can find at the store to see how you like them.  I found that replacing grease and sugar with various spices was a great way to eat better, while still having lots of flavor and an enjoyable meal.  I found I could leave out the dressing entirely from wrap sandwiches with a combination of tomatoes(juicy), jalapenos(spicy), and some veggies and spices - gives good flavor and not too dry, without all the oil and sugar that tends to come with mayo/dressings.

2011-05-18 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3495167

Veteran
South Shore, MA.
You can go to Wholefoods and get all your greens for the day in two or three pills, then wash it down with a Bloody Mary.
2011-05-20 4:56 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
Others have mentioned this, but it bears repeating: I'm a huge fan of using high heat to bring out really great flavors in vegetables. Grilling, roasting, searing in a cast iron skillet... everything tastes better with some good caramelization.

The other thing I like to do is "hide" vegetables in more strongly flavored dishes. Chopped blanched greens like kale or chard go into mac & cheese (or omelettes, if that's your thing). Greens or other lightly cooked vegetables (peppers, asparagus, etc.) get tucked into a frittata or quiche. Spinach gets pureed with a big bunch of cilantro in some chicken stock and used to make arroz verde. Zucchini gets sliced thinly and layered with sliced potatoes, parmigiano, and chopped thyme for a scalloped potatoes spinoff. Broccoli rabe gets blanched and chopped and thrown in with some sliced chicken Italian-style sausage and caramelized onions and pasta.

You can also make salads out of vegetables that you might not immediately think of using in salads. One of my favorite salads of all time, and the only way I've ever been able to get myself to be enthusiastic about Brussels sprouts, is made of shaved Brussels sprouts tossed with chopped apple, chopped toasted hazelnuts, grated Pecorino, and a light dressing of lemon juice, a touch of honey, and olive oil.

As far as salad dressings go, you don't need much more than an acid and some sort of oil, plus maybe an emulsifier like mustard. You can also add things like minced garlic or shallot, a dash of some sort of spicy sauce like tabasco or sriracha or adobo, and so on, but that's just icing on the cake. Try different vinegars (even plain old lemon or lime juice works), and adjust the acid-oil ratio until it tastes good to you. Some people like it on the more acidic side, some people the opposite. You can also try different oils, like avocado, walnut, etc. but they tend to be pricey.

I firmly believe that most people can learn to enjoy most vegetables; it's just a matter of finding the recipe that works for you. I used to hate pretty much all vegetables (other than green beans and broccoli), and now vegetables make up most of my diet. Good luck!

Edited by puellasolis 2011-05-20 4:56 PM
2011-05-23 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3510597

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

Being a vegetarian I have grown to now love all vegetables.  It just took the right preperation for me. 

Growing up I hated brussels sprouts.  I recently discovered roasting them in a light drizzle of olive oil and sea salt... I eat these as snacks now!  Soooo good!

I hate licorice tasting things, but when I started to roast fennel I fell in love.  Soooo sweet.

I now roast my winter/fall veggies with some fruit (roasted beets with some blue berries and a light sprinkling of feta cheese is to die for BTW), and steam the rest with different fruit juices.

I now steam my brocoli with orange juice mixed in with water, and my asparagus with lemon juice.

I also replaced pasta with spaghetti squash roasted in garlic water.  I can take the base of spaghetti squash and prepare it any number of ways - with marinara for an italian treat or with spiced lentil/chickpeas etc. for an Indian spin.

I tried mixing in different textures (via nuts, etc.) and flavors (via the oils and juices) and have found it quite fun to find a veggie I am not too keen on and seeing how I can make it amazing.... or at the least tolerable.

Edited by })i({RunnerGirl 2011-05-23 10:28 AM
2011-05-28 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I did a quick stir fry of red peppers, garlic and kale the other night in olive oil and splashed on some balsamic vineger right before serving.   yum.    

2011-05-28 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Also, soups go a long way in sort of neutralizing overtly-flavored vegetables. The broth tends to be a nice mix of flavors, so if there are some vegetables you can't stand and some you like, it helps. Throw in some beans. Or chicken. Or whatever else you can think of. Plus, if it is texture thing that prevents you from eating it, soup helps soften that aspect.
2011-06-01 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Vegetables now comprise the majority of my diet, and I can only think of two I don't like.  So, similar to everyone above, I would suggest you select some veggies you least hate, and learn to cook them in a way that is yummy.  If you order a side of vegetables in most typical American restaurants, you get some sort of nasty watery flavorless stuff that gives veggies a bad name!

So more suggestions:

Salads for me typically don't involve lettuce-- too much chewing for too little nutrition, IMO.  Instead, I chop up crunchy veggies and toss them with either tuna or hardboiled eggs for protein.  For a dressing I use extra-virgin olive oil plus salt & pepper plus one of the following: red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice.  Maybe some herbs.  Some veggies I use this way: carrots, celery, bell pepper, radish, cucumber (take out the seeds), watercress, jicama, fennel, green onions.

Some veggies good for grilling: asparagus, bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, zucchini.  They should have at least a light coat of olive oil and some salt, but a vinaigrette (see above) never hurt either.

Ways to get enough greens include slipping into soups, as mentioned above, or as an ingredient in an omelet or frittata.  Chop 'em well first.  But I like greens and will now eat a well-sauteed panful of greens with garlic and/or onion for breakfast now, along with two eggs.  (Greens I eat like this include: spinach, collard, mustard, broccoli-rabe, turnip greens -- admittedly not everybody's favorite stuff!)

More omelet or frittata ideas: do you like salsa?  If so -- sauté some onions and peppers, after a few minutes add some tomatoes and cumin and cilantro, and use that as your omelet filling/topping.  Another favorite breakfast is grated sweet potatoes with a bit of onions, sauteed with salt and a tiny bit of cinnamon until the whole thing is soft-ish, then served with two eggs on top.  YUM!!!!

Some veggies I like to roast: winter squashes, cauliflower, carrots, red or sweet onions, green beans.  Also, I make "chips" or "fries" by thinly slicing starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes and roasting them at high heat in the oven.  (Olive oil and salt again!)

Rounding all of this out with healthy fats from avocados and olives is also a good idea.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » vegtables YUCK Rss Feed