Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need a big kick in the... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-12 12:32 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: I need a big kick in the...
I think I need a bit of BT HTFU. Please kick me in the arse!

I have never been plagued by idleness before. In fact, I have always been a tough arse go-getter who will fight to the death to win. But I have moved cities and need to find work, but my motivation has not matched this need. I can list about 50 excuses why I am not doing something right now, but the big three are: 1) this city does not have many opportunities in electronics engineering (my former career), 2) I don't have the means to meet new people (unless they want me randomly knocking on their door), and 3) I've suddenly become very lazy. Worst of all, I am too energetic to sit still, so doing nothing is driving me crazy!

How the hell do I get back that killer instinct which pushed me through a university program which my professor called "the toughest engineering program in the English speaking world... not necessarily the best, but the toughest?"

2011-05-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3495775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I need a big kick in the...
Take the first step. It is always the hardest but once you take it, things get moving and you just go. Start looking at jobs in your field and similar Associated fields you could apply for. Talk to old professors, friends, guidance councilors, anyone you can to start networking and see if you can find someone who knows someone in your area for a job. Don't think about it just go out and start.
2011-05-12 1:07 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

HTFU and GET OUT THERE AMONG EM'  (Hope that's tough enough)..

You could cold call any company and set up an informational interview.  Call companies that aren't really in your field, One thing always leads to another.  Network you new city.  Search Linkedin in your area..  Lots to do..

2011-05-12 2:37 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I just had a thought...

365 informal, 20 minute interviews in 365 days.

Think it's possible? I think one a day is possible, but weekends would be hard to schedule.

I would also have to learn how to use this skype thing.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2011-05-12 2:38 PM
2011-05-12 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
GO for it!!  
2011-05-12 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Where are you?  Can <edit> YOU reach out to any BTers in the area??

Edited by lkct01234 2011-05-12 9:32 PM

2011-05-12 9:50 PM

User image

I have a cousin who is a rocket surgeon, no wait a rocket scientist, or I think an aeronautics engineer is the correct term back when he graduated was a time what that field was on the skids. He made a list of all the companies that would have any interest in him with a one page resume and literally drove and knocked on the doors of those business's and tried to sell himself.

1. Go run every day, doesn't have to be fast or far.

2. Decide what you want to do or would like to and what you are willing to do and go meet people.

3. Find an inexpensive activity that involves some social activity and get involved and meet people. There is a Hash House Harrier group near you and there is a variety of professions in most every chapter.

NOW HTFU and go do something! Good luck to you
2011-05-13 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

Being unemployed is a great opportunity to figure out what you want to do as a career. You say that software engineering is your FORMER profession... I took that to mean that you want to do something else. Do you know what that is?

You're a Canadian? I'm guessing that you did your degree at Waterloo, then. Where did you move to? 

2011-05-13 10:30 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Wow Lockout, those are generalizations to the max! Did I say I was Canadian? Maybe it is in my profile somewhere in this website. No, not all engineers come from Waterloo. And I have no software background, just electronics / radio. It was just funny to hear you say, you're an engineer so you must have come from Waterloo.

For those who are asking, I moved to Northern Ontario (prefer not to disclose exactly where), and the electronics / radio industry is not exactly booming. I have had thoughts of making it boom by starting a venture myself, although that really scares me! So that's why I say it could be my former career... who knows? I have reached out to the community and I am coaching the swim team twice a week. I am starting to do some exercise every day now, so thanks for the suggestion. I guess my exercise goes in tandem with my mood. Perhaps it just takes time to get into the swing of things.

I am seriously considering this 365 interviews in 365 days thing though. Hmmm....
2011-05-15 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3497328

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Just a couple of things that come to mind...
Mood and exercise are connected, in my opinion.. I think if you get out there doing some exercise (maybe try a new sport or a team sport so its easier to meet people?? coaching the swim team seems like a great fit) that you'll find your motivation again.  Not just for exercise, but for all things in life, work included. 

Try to think of your strengths and the skills you have from your schooling and think about how they may be of benefit in other sectors (if the electrical engineering thing isn't working out)  I'm sure you have developed more than 'just' engineering knowledge while at school.

Do something good for yourself and something that you enjoy everyday and see how that helps your motivation. 

Don't be too hard on yourself.  I'm not sure of the timeline of things, but generally finishing school and moving to a new city is not a stress free experience, so its ok to be a bit down and out.. it seems normal in fact.  Give it time  
2011-05-16 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3497328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

So Fresh So Clean - 2011-05-13 11:30 AM Wow Lockout, those are generalizations to the max! Did I say I was Canadian? Maybe it is in my profile somewhere in this website. No, not all engineers come from Waterloo. And I have no software background, just electronics / radio. It was just funny to hear you say, you're an engineer so you must have come from Waterloo. For those who are asking, I moved to Northern Ontario (prefer not to disclose exactly where), and the electronics / radio industry is not exactly booming. I have had thoughts of making it boom by starting a venture myself, although that really scares me! So that's why I say it could be my former career... who knows? I have reached out to the community and I am coaching the swim team twice a week. I am starting to do some exercise every day now, so thanks for the suggestion. I guess my exercise goes in tandem with my mood. Perhaps it just takes time to get into the swing of things. I am seriously considering this 365 interviews in 365 days thing though. Hmmm....

Sorry, not intended to generalize at all. Probably just an ill-informed assumption on my part. I just went back and realized that I misread your post, I really did think that you were a software engineer. I went through your profile, and you do have a Canadian flag, that's how I knew you were Canadian. As a fellow Canuck, I note people around here who are. FWIW, I am also a Canadian engineer, not from Waterloo, so I know that not all engineers are from KW. This goes back to my thought about you being in software. At UWO, I think the graduating class for software was about 10 people each year or so, and I know that UW has way more than that. Realizing that you are not a software eng completely changes my thought, and makes me look like a jackhole. Sorry.

2011-05-16 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
Why don't we chug on over to mamby-pamby land and find you some self confidence.... ya JACKWAGON!
2011-05-16 1:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
What about a part time job at a bike shop/running store/outdoor sporting goods store.  It could get the ball rolling on the working side of things until you figured out what you want to do or find a "real" job.  Plus it would get you around some like minded athletic people and maybe introduce you to new groups of people to go do stuff with.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need a big kick in the... Rss Feed