General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training up to the actual IM Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-24 12:14 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Training up to the actual IM Training Plan

I'm kinda lost in the preparation phase....No real plan at this time, just to do each event 2 times a week....Wanting to make the swim and bike longer and longer.....Next two events that I'm looking at is a HIM/Olympic Tri in Sept (probably be Oly for logistic reasons) and Seattle Marathon.

At which time (seattle marathon) begins my 30 week train up for IMCDA.  Great start up with sore legs...

So the question is?  Continue on with my current 3X2 training.. and keep building distance in my two unknown events?  The Bike and Swim... 

Since I only have 305 days to get in shape. (mental gymnastics)

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2005-08-24 12:15 AM

2005-08-24 3:52 AM
in reply to: #232437

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training up to the actual IM Training Plan
BellinghamSpence - 2005-08-24 12:14 AM

I'm kinda lost in the preparation phase....No real plan at this time, just to do each event 2 times a week....Wanting to make the swim and bike longer and longer.....Next two events that I'm looking at is a HIM/Olympic Tri in Sept (probably be Oly for logistic reasons) and Seattle Marathon.

At which time (seattle marathon) begins my 30 week train up for IMCDA.  Great start up with sore legs...

So the question is?  Continue on with my current 3X2 training.. and keep building distance in my two unknown events?  The Bike and Swim... 

Since I only have 305 days to get in shape. (mental gymnastics)

I've only done one IM - so not a lot of experience here. But I followed the generally-accepted approach to training. I managed to do the following:

1) didn't injure myself during training
2) finished IMLP w/o injury
3) enjoyed myself

IMO, you need more structure. Most training plans are some variation on this one:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

I recommend that you adopt something like this, making sure that you do the prescribed weekly progressions.

2005-08-25 7:44 PM

User image

Toms River, NJ
I finished my FIRST IRONMAN (Lake Placid) relatively comfortably this year in 15:25:34. I used and high recommend Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans book to setup up a plan.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/188473782X/qid=112501...

With a 3y/o daughter and the birth of our second daughter during my training I did miss alot of days, but I focused on QUALITY WORKOUTS.

If this is what you want to accomplish your body will follow where your mind leads it. I turned 30y/o this year and set a goal to finish an IRONMAN. I went slow and steady on each discipline and finished! YOU WILL DO IT TOO!! This was the first triathlon I have ever done.

GOOD LUCK, you WILL succeed!

2005-08-25 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
Are you going with the Be Iron Fit plan? If you are you could practically do nothing between now and the start of the 30 week program and be able to start right up. I did Portland Marathon last year the 1st of Oct. then did nothing but swim for a month afterwards. The workouts are really short the first weeks of the Be Iron Fit program. It was like a break for me. LSS - you should be fine, especially with the Seattle Marathon before you start the program. It might be a good idea to take a little break or focus on your weakest event (not distance but form) just to avoid burnout later on next spring.
2005-08-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #232467

User image

Veteran
Oooh, now I get it. DIdn't read your post carefully first time around, and posted answer to wrong Q.

Yup, sounds like good base training up to the 30 week mark -- but take adequate rest after that marathon.

Good luck!
2005-08-29 5:16 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Spence

Here is my take on it. Whatever your weaker event is - work on that - build the frequency and become a better runner (for example if that is your weakness). Also, add in strength 2x per week, core 3-5x per week, and stretching/yoga 3x per week. Work on the weaknesses. Trust me, at mile 22 when you are running tall and proud b/c your core is strong you will be much happier than the folks walking half bent over b/c thier core gave out on them b/c they are weak.
2x per week is fine for maintenance, but if you want to improve then 4-5x a week is better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training up to the actual IM Training Plan Rss Feed