Suzu City
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 19s
Overall Rank = 57/360
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/22
Pre-race routine:

Race start was 7, so I got up at 4 and started getting ready. I ate a traditional Japanese breakfast of various bits and pieces, but mostly rice of course, at 4:30 and then got in the car at around 5 and made the 5 minute journey to the race start with the others.

When we arrived I got the bike out and pumped up the tires, oiled the chain and took it for a quick spin just to make sure everything was in working order. Then I fixed my numbers to the race number belt and went and got body marked, which is were I made my first mistake of the day. I'll never forget to put sunscreen on BEFORE being body marked ever again.

Anyway, I took the bike over to the transition area and got everything set up. I put everything out in order and in seperate bags to make sure I didn't forget anything. I've always been a little obsessive compulsive so that was never really going to be a problem for me anyway.

After that we still had a bit of time before the start, so I went for a light jog and actually ran through the bike finish point, up to the bike and then on to the run start just to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes during the race.

Eventually we moved down to the swim start. It was at this point that I made a wise decision. I CAN NOT get my Desoto T1 full sleeve, zipperless top off without help, and I had asked the day before and was informed that there would not be any help allowed to remove it like at Ironman. So I decided to ditch it and just wear the bib bottoms.

It was only 7 but the sun was already out and it was HOT!! It looked like the scene was set for the day...
Swim
  • 43m 19s
  • 2500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great swim. I started on the outside of the 3rd wave of 100 competitors and slowly moved myself over to the rope. I thought this would be easy as when we swam the day before there was a slight current running that way.

I knew I was going to be one of the faster swimmers, but I was surprised that when I got over to the rope there were only two other swimmers in-front of me. Another person swam past me before the first bouy at 300m, but I had a great start, I never got kicked or hit once.

I continued on my way to the turn around point and I passed lots of other swimmers from the wave that started 5 minutes before me, and I mean LOTS!! The only problem was that it meant I never got to draft behind anyone. Only for a brief moment before I passed them anyway. However mostly it slowed me down having to navigate my way around them.

I made my way back along the inside of the course and never really slipped into a higher gear than moderate. I felt good when I turned the last bouy and headed for home. It certainly was a great feeling to run up on the beach and hear the g/f screaming for me.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing I would do differently is make sure of my wetsuit before the race. I don't know how much time it lost me overall, but it was probably a few minutes.

Also, I have to believe in myself from now on. But this was my first real OW swim, so it was OK this time. But in the future I'm starting in the first wave. That way I should be able to draft behind some of the faster swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Great. No problems at all. I got out of the water, ran up the beach and then the extra 100m to T1. There was an aid station on the way so I stopped for second and had some water, mostly to get the salt water out of my mouth.

I continued on to the bike rack, pulled the wetsuit off, dried my feet and put on my socks and shoes. Then it was helmet and sunglasses and I was on my way.

Nothing. (T1 time included in bike time - I think??)
Bike
  • 3h 36m 34s
  • 100.2 kms
  • 27.76 km/hr
Comments:

Oh man, this course was tough!! No matter how good a course profile is, there is no way of knowing how steep a hill is until you actually climb it, and let me tell you, the one on this course is an absolute monster!!

But let me start from the beginning. I started really well. I was a little concerned I was pushing too hard as I was passing lots of competitiors and nobody was going past me. But I felt comfortable, although my HR was in the 160's, so I just went with it.

I should mention here that it was an absolutely beautiful course. The loop went right around the peninsula and the scenery was spectacular. I tried to take a bit of time to enjoy it on the first lap...but not too long.

I went through the first aid station and although I didn't need any water as my aero bottle was full, I decided to try taking the plastic cups on the fly. It was a good idea. I was going way too fast and both times the plastic cups exploded in my hands. OK, got to remember to slow down a LOT more when I need water at the next aid station I thought.

At about the 20km mark something very strange happened. I don't know what it was, but I got stung my something on my stomach. I started cursing and I hoped that it wasn't something bad. It was painful for a few minutes, but thankfully it went away soon after that. Now that would have really pissed me off if something like that had have ended my race.

I got to the 30km mark and I knew it was time to meet the "monster". I started climbing and I was going pretty well. I got through the first section well and then we came to a flatter section where there was an aid station. I thought that was the end, but oh how wrong I was.

We then made a left turn and went on to the main climb. It was unbelievably steep. However at this point of the ride I was feeling good and I managed to get over it and enjoy the ride down the other side for the next few minutes.

Just before I got back to the start my chain came off at the bottome of a small hill. It really annoyed me as I just got the chain put on, but I had trouble changing from the big chain ring to the small one all day. Anyway, I managed to get it back on without too much difficulty and continued on my way.

It was pretty uneventful for a while after that. Just back down in the aero position and putting in the hard yards. I chatted to one guy about how hot it was and he asked me where I was from. We talked for a few minutes before he pulled away and I admired his bike (Kestrel Talon SL).

Eventually I was going to get back to the "monster", but naturally by this time, 80km, I wasn't feeling anywhere near as fresh as the first time. There was a few of us who started together and it was tough going. Once again we got the the steep part and I was hurting. I don't know my exact speed as I had my computer on RPM and time, but the other guys said they got down to as low as 7km/h. However I do know that I was in my 39/25, out of the saddle, giving it everything I had. At one point I thought I may have to walk, but nobody around me was getting off, so I stuck it out. Anyway, my legs were starting to cramp and I thought that if I stopped my legs were going to totally seeze up.

I can't explain how good it felt to get to the top. It was such a relief. But now I was thinking about the run, and my legs were already starting to cramp. So I took it pretty easy for the rest of the ride. I just tried to keep my cadence high and get the legs spinning before the run.

Not push so hard on the bike. Although it was the hill that really toasted me. But I've got to remember to play to my strengths, and that is definately the run.

I also need to take in more calories. I only consumed about 600 calories over the 3 and a half hours, and it wasn't enough. The bike is my chance to take in food so I've got to use that window of opportunity better.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Once again, no problems here. I racked the bike and took off my shoes and helmet. After I threw on my shoes I grabbed my hat and gel flask, which I had filled with 4 gels, and I was on my way.

Nothing. (T2 time is included in my bike time - I think??)
Run
  • 2h 17m 26s
  • 23.3 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km
Comments:

Oh my, it was SO hot. Combine that with the fact that my legs were toast after the ride and I knew it was going to be a long run. It was at this point that my goal of trying to finish somewhere around 6 hours went out the window and it changed to very simply...finish.

I remembered what someone had said about the IM run, it's just 26 one mile repeats. There were aid stations about every 2km, so that was my aim, run to each one and take in what I needed before running to the next one.

Speaking of the aid stations, they were fantastic. Huge buckets of water with a huge block of ice in them and sponges. The water and sports drink were freezing cold, just what everyone needed in those conditions.

I took in water at each station and my plan was to take a gulp of gel at every second one. It seemed to work well for the first 15km, but at that point my left hamstring started cramping. I stopped for a second and stretched, then I started moving again. I managed to get to the next aid station where I ate a half a banana this time rather than the gel.

So that was the new plan, water and half a banana at the aid stations until the end. It seemed to work well. However I did cramp up twice again. But it was never going to prevent me from finishing.

I was relieved to see the finish line. Actually, I was so relieved that I didn't even look up at the clock to see my time. I only remembered a minute or so after finishing when I looked back to see the time.

Like the bike, I have to take in more calories on the run. There was food at every station and I didn't take it in, mostly because it was so hot that I didn't feel like eating. But I've got to force myself...I need the energy.

Also, it was during the run that the sun was really taking it's toll on me. I've got to wear a long top and a wide brim hat. It was also at this point I regreted not rubbing in my sunscreen before being body marked. I got burnt to an absolute crisp.
Post race
Warm down:

Basically nothing. I walked around for a bit, but I was so sore that I thought it was best not to stretch at that point. So I just sat on the grass with the others and relaxed.

Actually a very funny thing happened only about 20 minutes after I finished. The heavens opened up and it poured down. We had gone from unbearably hot and sunny to cloudy and pouring rain in the space of about half an hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The two main reasons where the heat and the bike course. Both were very unforgiving and they really took their toll on me.

Event comments:

It really was a very well run event. It was on time, the aid stations where fantastic and there was lots of food after the event.

The awards ceremony later in the day was also very well organised and once again they had lots of food.

I would definately go back again...although the "monster" is going to give me nightmares for some time to come.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:19 | 2500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 43/360
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1 Bib only
Course: An "L" shape course. Out 300m, turn right, swim 1000m then turn right and come back along the inside of the out course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:36:34 | 100.2 kms | 27.76 km/hr
Overall: 65/360
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A VERY hilly 2 loop course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:17:26 | 23.3 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Overall: 91/360
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-24 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: Suzu Triathlon
Well, here it is people, the long awaited race report.  Sorry it took so long.:)

Edited by Traveski 2005-08-24 9:30 AM

2005-08-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: #232606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chatham. Ontario
Subject: RE: Suzu Triathlon
Travis, I enjoyed reading your race report, sounds like you learned a few good tips for next time.  They also help the rest of us doing the same thing.  You had a smokin swim especially with only half a wet suit, your sure to be even faster next time.  Now that you have braved the heat, all the other races will feel easy in comparison.  You already have faced the worst it can get.  Glad everything went well and your in good spirits.  You did an awesome job.  You and your girlfriend should be proud.
2005-08-24 4:46 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Awesome job in tough conditions Travis!    You did great! 
2005-08-24 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Excellent race mate!
It looks like it was a learning experience for you. Congratulations on battling with the cramps and still running sub-6min km's!
I can't wait for your IM WA race!
Félix

2006-08-28 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice report... That looks like one brutal race... You are the KING! Cheers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Suzu Triathlon Rss Feed