General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles (Sables) fogging up... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-13 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Goggles (Sables) fogging up...

I'm a new triathlete and I was convinced that the goggles I purchased wouldn't fog up and that they were the "must have" goggle for someone who was looking for a hassle free pair. Well, about a month later they're fogging up...not as bad as my Speedos, but going towards the sun (as I found out) even a little fog will white out your vision...

regardless of the fogging, I refuse to touch the inside of the lens (as instructed) and haven't used any sort of anti fog (or spit)  or cleaner to remedy the issue (as instructed) either. I also rinse them thoroughly before and after each swim. I thought I read somewhere what to do if they start fogging, but can't find it. Have my first race on Sunday...any advice for this newb would be highly appreciated...

2011-05-13 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3498325

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: RE: Goggles (Sables) fogging up...

The good news is in a race you generally don't need to be able to see or spot as far away from you as do swimming solo, assuming there are plenty of other people around.  Follow the feet in front of you and rip them off when you get out of the water so you can find your way to T1.  I did all my races last year legally blind for the swim/run to T1 and put on my glasses for the bike and had no problems, so you can get away with swimming with fogged up goggles I'm sure.  At least they'll keep the water out.

This year I got contacts just so I could wear them in training and racing.

How bad is the fogging up?  What kind of goggles did you get?

2011-05-14 12:48 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

They're Sables...From what I've heard and read they're supposed to be the stuff.

http://www.sablewateroptics.com/index.php

After only a month, there has to be something I can do to get them to perform like they are new again. (For awhile they actually WERE the stuff...)

2011-05-14 5:56 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Regrettably, the anti-fog coating does seem to wash off eventually but compared to other goggles, the coating did seem a little more durable. I use Sable's because they turned out to be the only goggles that wouldn't leak..It's an individual thing though, so if any of the cheaper brands don't let in water, I'd counsel not spending 2 or 3x for Sables. Love my Sable's but they ain't cheap..

2011-05-14 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee

TYR sells a spray to keep goggles from fogging. Also some people swear by tooth paste,,,others just spit on them. I use the spray. It lasts for a few swims,,,then you have to re-apply.

2011-05-14 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Thanks for the replies, guys...Sable specifically states that you should not use any anti-fogger or even spit and rub. (Always worked for my Speedos! LOL!!) However, I did speak with the distributor who ran into the same problem with theirs and she told me that the manufacturer says to wash them gently with baby shampoo...I've got the the shampoo now and I'll let you know how it works.

2011-05-16 7:24 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

As a diver I have a fair bit of experience with masks. Regardless of what the manufacturer will tell you, fogging happens (this is a worse problem in a cave a mile back and 100' down, so you can say I've taken it fairly seriously).

People use toothpaste to remove the mold release chemicals from masks, which can be a little hard on the eyes. I'm not aware of people actually using it as anti-fog.

There are chemicals which can be applied, but they all wear off and some aren't even particularly eye friendly when used repeatedly.

Spit or a gentle lens lick followed by a quick rinse actually works wonders.

Granted, I get some funny looks when I lick my goggles at the pool (they must think I'm starving) but it works.

Just MHO.

2011-05-20 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
I use baby shampoo and it works great.  Put a tiny drop in each side and rub it around with your finger.  Let dry.  Rinse with water when you get to the gym/pool/ows.  Just a light rinse is fine.
2011-05-25 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
For anyone who was interested, the baby shampoo has worked like a charm so far. Didn't even hint at fogging during the race and I've probably used them 5 or 6 times in the pool since and they're still like new. I also found out that Sable offers a lifetime warranty on their anti-fog coating. (Who knows how easy it is to void the warranty, though...You probably have to keep them unopened in the original packageTongue out)
2013-05-24 12:10 AM
in reply to: GoodStash

An old thread here but I just need to chime in: I think Sables are the real deal. Over the past 3 years I have tried goggles from Speedo, TYR, Visio and about every current Aqua Sphere out there. Over time I learned not to touch the anti fog coatings at all. It may be obvious to others but that anti-fog coating is easily wiped off whether by a rubbing with a cloth or a finger. Making the mistake of letting my kids use my goggles in swimming pools and showers afterwards exposed the inner lenses of many of those goggles to excess chlorine and even soaps and shampoos. That quickly removed the anti-fog coatings. So I started being super paranoid and for my Kayennes, Vanquishers, Seal XPs, Remoras and others. I would rinse them off religiously and only do very quick light rinsing with low pressure on the inside lenses. That helped but even then the best I could get out of a goggle was about 2 months max of pool swimming (3-4x/week). Then the fogging would start up again as an ongoing issue.

I started using Sable 101's last summer for my ocean swims and races only. The clarity was the main reason I wanted to try them. The cost was the main reason I limited my usage. I immediately notice they seem to have a superior anti-fog coating. Supposedly it is "baked" on as opposed to be being applied as all the other companies do . I am not sure if this is a sales pitch or true. Initially I thought it might have been unfair to tout the superiority of my Sable's anti-fog with the others since I was limiting their exposure. But earlier this year, 4 months ago, I started using a pair during my pool swims at least 3x/week. And now, I still find the anti-fog is the best I have ever used during training.

I have no ties to Sable. They are an extremely expensive goggle and I found them very difficult to find online and they never seem to be on sale when they are in stock. I lucked out with some major discount promotions and vouchers with USAT membership allowing me to get them at 25-50% off. Even then it is a lot to pay for a goggle. But I treat these goggles as if they were a designer sunglass and they seem to be holding up well and providing me with the anti-fog vision I have longed for years.

Just my two cents.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles (Sables) fogging up... Rss Feed