General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinetic Half Iron vs IM Louisville (bike course) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-14 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Kinetic Half Iron vs IM Louisville (bike course)
Anyone that's done both, how do the two bike courses compare? Just trying to get an idea as kinetic is probably the toughest bike ride I've done so far so not sure if that's a good or bad thing

2011-05-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3499491

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half Iron vs IM Louisville (bike course)
I did Kinetic in prep for my first IM in Lou in 07.  I don't know if they changed the course for Kinetic, but if not I'd get on the bike and start riding, I found the Lou course to be much more challenging (terrain wise)
2011-05-17 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

They did change kinetic (this year).

I just did that race and did IMKY last year.  As a note I did IMKY last year with no hill training at all - same for Kinetic this year.  I plan on hitting the hills this summer, but have to drive to them where I am (Va Beach).

Regarding similarities.... the overall courses are similar HOWEVER, there are several longer ascents and descents on IMKY.  

Outside of those couple climbs and downs, yeah... similar with the rollers and general feel.

2011-05-18 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach, VA
I did Kinetic 10,11, and IMKY 10. I rode an 11-21 casette for the 3 races I mentioned and wished I had a 23 at KY. There are some climbs in KY, but nothing too serious. Find a course profile map and decide for yourself. I see that you hail from NOVA and with consistant training, IMKY should be no problem, and if you think that Kinetic was a hard course, get on your bike now and log some heavy miles. I say this cause I am from the FLATEST part of VA and did 98% of my training here (VA Beach).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinetic Half Iron vs IM Louisville (bike course) Rss Feed