United States
Competitor.com - Tri Tock Series
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 51m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had a decent night's sleep (6+ hrs) and hydrated well the day before. My SIL (bless her!) dropped me off a block or two away from transition, so I didn't have to ride the 1.7 mi with all my gear. On the way to the race, I had a banana and some water. Morning timing (applying tattoos, setting up transition, etc) all went great.
Event warmup:

I did some dynamic stretches before putting on wetsuit. Then I waited until ~ 10 min before my wave start to pull wetsuit all the way up & put on cap & goggles.
Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stayed nice and calm during the swim; went out at a reasonable pace, so didn't get that "out of breath" feeling. On the swim out, the waves were noticeable - not really a problem, except for sighting. Except at the very beginning and very end, I stayed on a pretty good line. I didn't really get in a groove, though, until the swim back.
What would you do differently?:

swim harder. I think I could have trusted my ability more to swim hard while sighting.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

putting on socks & gloves took time, as did having some water & putting sunscreen on my face. It didn't seem excessive until I compare my time to others..

maybe should try biking w/o socks - with all the water dripping off me, they were soaked before I even left transition.
Bike
  • 48m 18s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a bit of a disappointing ride. I was comfortable riding in the slick conditions, but not so much about trusting that the riders in front of me wouldn't wipe out & leave me no where to go. I really just rode it safe & didn't take good advantage of the downhills since it was so crowded. I could have pushed it more on the return trips over the bridge, though, as that lane was wider - it had grates every few yards, though, that I wasn't really keen on riding on.

I could have pushed it harder on the uphills.
Transition 2
  • 05m 32s
Comments:

I had covered my running shoes to keep them dry, but I left my socks out... I really hate running in sopping socks, so I took the time to dig through my transition bag to find a dry pair. Changing socks ate up a lot of time.

I also forgot to put my gel out & again ransacked my bag to find it. Once I found it, I took it on the way out & was done by the time I reached the run out exit from transition.

double check my transition layout - everything that was set out went on really fast but having to dig back into my bag was costly.
Run
  • 39m 2s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was watching my pace - checking it at each mile marker - and thought I was on my way to a good run (11:36 M1, 11:04 M2) but the time for the last mile & a bit was way off. I've since found out that the (modified) course actually measured 3.5 mi, so I maintained pace after all! My plan was to run w/in myself for the first 2 miles & then push the last one. I felt good & ran strong the whole time, but could have upped my effort. I ran it more like a training run than really racing it. As crowded as the bike was, there was hardly anyone else around on the run.

go all out on the last mile
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

not sure. I never got that "race" sense of urgency - odd, since I feel very competitive in training (in a good way, pushing myself to keep up with others). I was a bit too relaxed during the race & didn't really go all out.

Event comments:

1) the bike course was ridiculously narrow & crowded with one sharp turn and two sharp turn-arounds
2) the event timing was very forgiving, helpful perhaps for a first-timer
3) the information provided in advance could have been better
4) race staff was nice
5) this was an expensive race unless you signed up really early (before they even had their permits)

Last updated: 2011-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 547 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: In water start off Annapolis city dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:18 | 12 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: out & back with a loop, crossing a couple of bridges. If it had been clear, I bet it would have been really pretty. The course was narrow (out & back shared a single lane with the pylons leaving only about a 2 1/2 - 3 ft lane each way) and crowded, since most of the course was done twice. With the wet road conditions, there were a lot of wipe-outs. In addition to the turn-around points (which were tight) there was also a narrow, sharp turn that we got to do multiple times. Having either the loop or the tight lanes would have been okay, but with both, the course was really just too crowded for my comfort - you had to "wait your turn" to pass people, as there was just no where to go, forget about legal spacing.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:02 | 03.5 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out & back. Only significant uphill was on the way out with a smaller hill mid way. having the live bands every mile was fun.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-15 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri Rock Annapolis

2011-05-15 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3499632

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Tri Rock Annapolis
Way to safely get through that race.  I was considering doing it until I took a look at that bike course.  I thought that with 800+ riders on the course more-or-less at the same time, with lots of beginners, would be a recipe for disaster.  Add the rain and WOW!  Great job.
2011-05-15 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Congratulations, Ally!  I think you did a fantastic job and I love that you looked critically at how you could improve your race for next time.  You had some great comments that I will consider for my upcoming tri.  That bike course sounded ridiculous, glad you didn't have any wipe-outs!!  Awesome job!!
2011-05-17 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN

Great assessment of your race and this is something you can use to build from. You can definitely pick up a lot of "free time" by getting the transitions down.  I shoot for under 2 minutes on T1 and under 1 minute on T2.

I would have been frustrated with the narrow bike course set up. Glad everything was safe for you.

Great job and congratulations again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Rock Annapolis Rss Feed