Fifth Third River Bank Run
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 39m 19s
Overall Rank = 19/3768
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/248
Pre-race routine:

With a 2.5 week old little girl in the room there is not much quality sleep happening. I probably got 5 good hours of sleep. Up at 5:30 and had a cup of coffee, 1 packet oatmeal and 1/2 banana. I was on the road about 6:20 for the short trip to Grand Rapids. I parked at the Y and walked over. Got to packet pickup aboutt 7:20 for a 8:00 start time. The pickup went quick and then got into race gear and checked my bag which went pretty easy. I was expecting this to be a hassle but it went good. It was about 7:40 at this point and I had not warmed up at all.
Event warmup:

I was able to find a short bathroom line at the portapottys just east of the start line about 15 minutes before the start. I just warmed up easy on a side street going back and forth and mixing in some strides. I was in the starting corral about 7:50.

The goal for this race was to break 40:00 (6:25 min/mi pace). My pace runs leading up to this point led me to believe that I should definitely be able to achieve this but you never know. My usual plan of attack is to go out at my goal pace and then hope to negative split. Last year my first mile was way too slow and I was determined not to lose focus in the first mile again.
Run
  • 39m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

There was a steady rain coming down but the temps were perfect in the mid 50s and a slight breeze from the north.
I started off about 2 rows back and when the gun went got behind a tall lanky dude who looked like he was a good guy to follow. As we got going the pace was brisk but pretty comfortable as I tried to avoid huge mud puddles. We came thru the first mile and my garmin ticked off 6:00. Oh really! I was thinking should I back off big time or am I really in this good of shape. I naturally kind of came to a 6:20 pace after that point and settled in. I would check my garmin every couple of minutes to gage my pace and keep focused on keeping the effort level high. I have never been in this type of company at the front of a race. The guys I was running shoulder to shoulder with were actual runners..you could tell..and there I was. I never had that feeling in a race until this one. I came thru the second mile in 12:20 and the third mile in 18:35 so I knew I was way ahead of schedule but I was not letting down. The crowd support was awesome on the course..seemed like every turn there was a group of people and aid stations were great. I took water at a couple even though normally I would just fly by in a race this short. At mile 3 there was a guy telling me that I was in 19th place...really? Just after mile 4 my garmin started beeping uncontrollably and I did not went to mess with it so I ended up just turning it off and running how I felt..which in the last 2 miles is how I would have run it anyway but I wanted the data..oh well. At mile 4.5 there is a short steep little hill that I hung tough on and then cruised down the other side. Just after mile 5 there is another longer gradual climb that is the last ascent before a nice downhill finish. At this point I had been able to keep my pace steady at 6:20-6:25 and all was going according to plan. On the downhill I just tried to let my legs go before the last 0.3 mile push to the finish. As I got to the last turn and 0.2 miles to the finish I knew I was going to smoke 40 minutes. As I got close to the finish I saw 39:00 turn over and I just tried to push as hard as possible to the finish. I went across just after 39:20 on the race clock and was so friggin happy!!

OFFICIAL RACE TIME: 39:19
OA: 19th / 3768
AG: 4th / 248
What would you do differently?:

Nothin.
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the longest post race refreshment and food tent I have ever seen grabbing everything I could get my hands on. Walked over to Devos and picked up my bag. I was on the only one there and got my bag immediately. I was shocked how easy that was..I guess that is a plus to finishing fast. Then I walked the mile to the car and took off. I have babysitting duty this morning :).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - Although I have only been running 3 days a week consistently but for a very long time. I have mixed in alot more tempo and interval work than ever before. I have not run more than 30 mi/wk since last summer but was still able to throw down a 39:19. I am not sure what I take away from that? I am improving and that is all that matters. More interested to see what I can run a 10K in after a sub 1 hr 40K bike leg :)

Event comments:

Great Race!

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:19 | 06.21 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/248
Overall: 19/3768
Performance: Good
Course: Riverbank Run 10K Course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %