View Member's Race Log View other race reports
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 22m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 5:20, drank a bottled starbucks frapp (no other coffee nearby @ this time), a lara bar and some greek yogurt.
Event warmup:

Waded in the water, did 20-30 swim strokes to loosen wet suit.
Swim
  • 36m 44s
  • 0 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Not really a good swim for me - I've yet to do a good 70.3 swim. This was roughly the same pace as my IMKY swim but I had a wetsuit on for this AND it was 50% the distance. I should have been 10 seconds faster per 100 for this.

Couple things that set me back: goggles fogging, tinted goggles in overcast, and my watch. I had to stop, tread water and fix my watch to not ruin how it functioned for the rest of the day. Forgot to turn off auto-stop.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first swim using my watch during the swim, so that was something easy to fix.

I don't know why i can't piece together a good 70.3 swim. my 140.6 was great and i think it will be this year.
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Bad bad bad.... had a new bike setup from 2 weeks ago and was just "confused" as to what to do here.

This is exactly why I did this race... practice. I needed it. This time was horrible. It should have been 1 minute less.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with time. It was a rolling course and I train totally flat, so I'm very happy here. Was annoying at all the drafting I saw which was clearly intentional.

1) know my bike setup better, was not comfortable with the water bottle things yet

2) get my biked tuned up. The RD doesn't work well since I got my new cockpit. I was missing the bottom 2 gears which I needed for clibming
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Just need to get practice this more. Not good.

Take helmet off sooner, while running potentially. Get out of shoes on bike.
Run
  • 1h 53m 50s
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

YES!!! Finally I put together a good bike and run in a long distance race! Not the best run I could have done, but maybe for this course. I might have been able to eek out another 2 minutes off, but no more. Course was challenging for me. Hills were so hard on the last lap.

NOthing, I hope I can do this again at IMKY. I've been waiting 2.5 years to piece one of these runs together and I finally did it. I think it was more mental than fitness - that said I'm definitely in better run shaper this year than last thanks to the 50k training last fall.
Post race
Warm down:

sat down and talked with Don, waiting a bit for Andy who was just slightly behind me. Caught up on course thoughts, etc. Drank a sprite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wetness of bike course, hills on run and bike, bad transitions and watch malfunction on swim.

I think I could have shaved off 5 minutes without mental errors and another few minutes on a dry course. Otherwise, it think this was a great effort for middle of IMKY training.

Next year (or possible B2B half this year) I'm going sub-5 - It is there.

Event comments:

Setupevents, as always, puts on a great race. If you are reading this thinking about this or any other SE race... do it. They are great.

Last updated: 2010-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:44 | 00 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:45:26 | 56 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:53:50 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: rolling
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-15 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: Kinetic Half

2011-05-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3499881

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half
Congratulations.  It looks like you are right on track for you IM training.  It is also impressive that the transition issues and watch didn't get into your head...you put together a great run after the problems.
2011-05-15 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Nice job. You seem to be in a really good place for your IM. This will be a good confidence boost.I always enjoy reading people's race reports and hearing their feelings about a given course. This course was definitely viewed completely differently based on an individuals normal training grounds. To me the bike was nearly completely flat with two short but moderate climbs and the run course had some easy rollers with a climb at the beginning of the loop.
2011-05-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3500208

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA

Great all-around race!

I was also very annoyed at all the drafting.  There should have been WAY more penalties given out based on what I saw.

2011-05-17 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nice Race Shane..

That was a nice bike split.

you got it bro.. IMKY will be a breezy..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Half Rss Feed