United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 8s
Overall Rank = 212/310
Age Group = MC
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0430, had some coffee and ate half a bagel w/ peanut butter (thanks Kev) and a banana. Left the motel around 0500, knowing there was limited parking close to the site I wanted to get there fairly early.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up other than waiting around for an additional 40 minutes due to the fog. Due to the delay they started 2 waves at a time. The first 2 went off at 0740. Swam about 25 yards while waiting, just to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 42m 59s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall a pretty good swim for me. This was the furthest I've ever swam in open water. It was good to see that the bouys were marked in 100 meter increments which let you know where you were. It was also a reality check when I hit the 1 mile bouy thinking I was done but still had over 300 hundred meters left. Doooh! It's a 1.2 mile swim!
Bumped into the sides of a few people and likewise a few bumped into me. I ran into the feet of some a few times which through me off stride.

What would you do differently?:

I should probably try to hold more of an "inside" tact. I kept to the outside lane, about 10 yards from the bouys.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

Since the exit from the water was up some stairs from waist deep water, I decided to take the suit off before exiting the water. I had read somewhere that this was easier. For the most part it was but it still got hung up on my heels.
It was about 200 yards to the bike. Ate a gel, downed 4 Endurolytes and put on another pair of riding shorts. The Tri kit shorts are a little lacking in the padding dept.

Not much, thought T1 went well for a change.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Wanted to keep a 19 - 20 mph pace which I did. I would have been closer to 20 but the last 15 miles or so I was really feeling the effects. My lower back was aching and my seat was less than compfy. I was struggling to finish. I was actually looking forward to the run ahead!

Just need to spend more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Sat on my bucket to change shoes, take the shorts off, and take some nutrition. Took another 4 Endurolytes with 4 Ibuprophen and tried washing it down with the bottle that had sitting there. Well, it's not easy swollowing a mouth full of pills with warm Gatorade - it came back up. Tried again (with different pills) with another bottle from the bike.
Grabbed my hat, shades and belt and headed out for the run.

Nothing. It went pretty well considering.
Run
  • 2h 43m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out ok getting the kinks out from the bike but developed a cramp in my right thigh before mile 1! I knew then that this was going to be a long run. I took water and Heed at just about every station along with ice sponges. I figured I walked at least a quarter of the distance. I couldn't even make it from station to station without walking in between. Today was a day where it felt good putting a cup of ice down the front of your shorts! I kept the cramps under control but the lactic acid build up was what did it. My legs were "dead". I'd walk it out for a minute or so and would only be able to run for another 3-4 minutes before having to walk it out again. Oh, did I mention that it was HOT!? Managed to finish somewhat strong the last mile and a half.

More long run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed 2 bottles of water after receiving my finishers medal. Walked back to my bike and began backing up. Finished one bottle of water and then added the other to my recovery mix container.
The thunder storms started rolling in which was refreshing. Walked back to the pavilion area and sat in the lake for a few minutes in the rain. Grabbed a soda and was waiting in line for a burger but the rain was coming down good and it was getting windy. Passed on the burger and went to get my gear and pack up the truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more distance training.

Event comments:

The race lived up to its reputation as a "heat fest". Was hoping to do better but as this was my first HIM distance race I can't complain.

Last updated: 2010-12-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:59 | 1931 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/17
Overall: 226/310
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Clockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:47
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:56:33 | 56 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 181/310
Wind: Some
Course: Clockwise loop over country roads. The last third was rough with alot of "seams" in the road but for the most part the course was good and flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:43:25 | 13.1 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 224/310
Performance: Bad
HR was in the low to mid 170's pretty much the whole race. Tried walking a bit to bring it down but it didn't last so I just tried to keep it in the low 170's.
Course: Out and back. It was flat and hot. There were water stations at every mile which was good because it was very hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-15 3:41 PM

User image

New user

Subject: White Lake Half II

2011-05-15 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3500148

User image

Kingsland, Georgia
Subject: RE: White Lake Half II
Great job Rich! 70.3 makes for a long day... Especially in the heat.
2011-05-16 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!  It was HOT out there!!!  Good thing you finished before the storms rolled in!
2011-05-17 7:49 PM

User image

Clayton/NC
Outstanding effort, esp. in that heat....why didn't that thunderstorm show up an hour or so earlier.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half II Rss Feed