Revolution 3
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 30m 23s
Overall Rank = 448/514
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 22/26
Pre-race routine:

Drove in on Friday afternoon. Just relaxed on Friday and checked-in to hotel. We went down to the race expo for a while and took Jake to the playground. On Friday night Kelly and myself ate a burger at a local place in the market. Saturday morning Kelly and myself went down to do a practice swim at 8AM. The water was really frigid. We both swam about 500 yards against the current and then got out. Came back to Hotel and got cleaned up a bit then went to the pre-race briefing at noon. After the briefing we checked our bikes in at the transition. The rest of the day was spent with Mom and Jim and out to a nice pasta dinner at the Tomato place. On Sunday morning we got up at 5AM, streched a little and ate a bagel, banana and a Hammer Jel. Drank water throughout morning.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Just stretched as much as I could.
Swim
  • 40m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not quite sure how I got clocked at 40 minutes but I did. I did a previous HIM swim in 36 minutes and this was an Oly. Also my sighting was not that good. I never had a real clear sense of where I was until I saw a yellow float then just swam towards it.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

Ran from the swim exit through the boathouse, over the tracks, across the street and into tranition. Too tired to put socks on so I rode without them and did OK as far as feet go.

For anything less than a HIM ditch the socks.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.59 mile/hr
Comments:

For me this was just a brutal ride. I never stopped but it was slow going up some of the hills. This was a real awakening to the weight issue. No way I could have done the half today with where I am right now regarding training and weight.

Do this with about 1,000 more miles on the bike and about 20 pounds less in weight.
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This was a good transition for me. I did not even try to put my socks on for this.

Ditch the socks.
Run
  • 1h 08m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt good on the run and had no inclination to stop or walk. Also I was happy with a sub 11 minute mile. I ran the entire 6.2! Hurray!

Do this at 20 pounds lighter.
Post race
Warm down:

Streching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight ang time spent training. I have not done very well on either of these the past few months. Also my back was really hurting. Every time I struck with my right heel I could feel it in my lower back.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the course although I did not realize how hilly the bike ride was. That was a real rude awakening to weight loss.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/514
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Volt Sleeveless
Course: Up river against the current for about 500 yards then turned around and down current the rest of the way. This time I started in the middle of the pack versus at the back. I was actually OK here and did not get beat up to bad. I was really suprised at my time but I guess I should not be seeing how a third of the swim was upriver which I am not used to. I felt as if my head was way to high out of the water and legs were dragging. I know after I corrected my pace got better though. the water was pretty cold which I am not quite used to. I know I need to practice more.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:35:37 | 24.85 miles | 15.59 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Hills, Hills and more Hills. I never really got my legs and on a good cadence. You were either going up a hill or down a hill. This did not bode well for someone 238 pounds. When I felt as if i was getting a good pace there was another hill. The hills killed me. This is strickly a weight issue that needs dealt with. I loved the technical part of the course. I actually flew down the switchbacks at about 30MPH and had fun doing it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:06 | 06.21 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-15 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon

2011-05-16 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3500562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon

Congrats on your race. East TN=hilly bike courses!

2011-05-16 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Good job dude! I fear some of the hills on this course and I'm a pretty good climber (and weigh 150#) So I can't imagine what it was like if you're a bigger guy! Way to push through it!
2011-05-16 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Congrats Tom.  Good race report and reflections.  Looks to me like your performance is more a testament to your guts than your training :-)  And guts can get you a long way... about an OLY length I'd say!  Hope your body recovers well and that you're able to get back on track soon.  I do know how hard it is not to be training according to plan.

So you like our Appalachian hills, eh?  They can totally cook you on the bike and leave you with nothing for the run.  You did really well on the run, especially if you're not used to the hills. 

Ditch the sack of potatoes, get the back healed up and pick up the training and you'll be golden.  Congrats again, Tom! 

Stu

P.S.  How did your wife do?

2011-05-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3503101

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

Thanks Stu.

She best my time by 8 minutes.  She is a real strong swimmer and beat me out by 10 minutes on the swim.  I think she is the one that kicked me in the head as she was passing me.  That will be my excuse anyway.

Thanks for the note.

Now time to get ready for HIM in Municie july 9th.

Tom

2011-05-20 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Way to go! Sure was glad the rain held off and it was cooler for Sunday that earlier in the week. On Wednesday it was 97 degrees, and I was not to excited about racing in that heat. See you next year!

Andy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed