General Discussion Race Reports! » Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 28s
Overall Rank = 19/244
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

woke at at 4:45am, got everything packed up and had a Clif bar on the 50-min drive to Rockwall. I did do some light swim workouts the previous day but otherwise just relaxed and got lots of sleep.
Event warmup:

None. Had a Gatorade G1 about 15 min prior to swim start.
Swim
  • 07m 12s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

Interesting pool swim - 2 lines going at the same time - swimming 6 lengths of the 50m pool. 1st and last lane went 1 direction and 2nd and 3rd lanes went both. I didn't get a good rhythm beginning as I tend to start slow and build up and 3 swimmers passed me in the first 25m. After that, I was fine and only passed 1 other person. Ended up 103rd overall i the swim so I was seeded fine (wore bib 120). Still need to remind myself to twist my hips more as I forget during the adrenaline surge at the start. Time includes getting out of the pool and running so probably was about a 7:00 swim - I can swim my 25m pool closer to 6:00 so I must push off pretty hard since I had 6 less in the longer pool.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on technique and get 3 solid swim workouts in every week. I hve lessons scheduled this coming week. I think I can drop about another 10s/100m in the next 4-6 months.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I got out of T1 without too much trouble. The biggest issue was getting my left foot in my shoe while on the bike. Definitely coasted way too long. I have to practice this some more. Probably about 5 sec faster possible if I can get through cleanly.

practice getting my feet into my shoes more. I took too much time fiddling with them while coasting on the bike. Also, I didn't drive the course and didn't have an idea on how long I had to get them on so I coasted to slowly.
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Except for the slow start messing around with getting my feet in the shoes, I did ok. For some reason, I couldn't get myself in my normal cadence range and was about 3-5 rpm lower. I may have started out too hard and spiked my HR. I also backed off too early and the last 2 miles were pretty low effort. I was pretty happy with my effort for about 9 of the 13 miles. The bike course used a big chunk of the Toyota US Open course so good practice for October.

Get moving sooner as I lost a lot of time at the start. Also, I shouldn't back off more than 2 miles from the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Fairly smooth T2. I need to practice my dismounts better as I ended up just stopping the bike and taking a couple of extra seconds to get off. I also need to remember to unbuckle my helmet after dismounting while running to the rack. My new Pearl Izumi isoTransition shoes worked great and was much easier to put on with the loop at the heel to hold on to. Fastest T2 in my AG

Do a flying dismount and unbuckle helmet while running. Left a few seconds on the table.
Run
  • 21m 8s
  • 3.05 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Best sprint tri 5K pace ever! First time below 7:00/min pace in a race and I even had enough to kick at the end!

For my fitness right now, I think I ran this very well. I started off a little quick (6:56 pace for first half mile), but ran it very even (right at 7:00 pace) until last 0.6 mile when I ran it around 6:30. I think I could've started kick just a little earlier. I was 5th fastest in my AG in the run portion so I still have room to improve here.
Post race
Warm down:

not much, just jogged to massage tent. First time to get an AG Podium with 2nd place AG finish! Woohoo!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I left about 1-2 minutes on the bike because of fiddling with getting the shoes on. I also need to train a little bit more on the the TT bike. Of course, I can get better at swimming - probably another minute that can be gained there over next few months.

Event comments:

Great race for a small tri. I liked the double TT starts at the pool as we probably got through 250 people in a little over 20 minutes. The one NEGATIVE is that I wish they would use a photographer that provides quality options to pick from. I have rarely seen Celebrated Images produce anything worthy of buying (they just don't know where to set-up and take a good photo) - the local people who did the Kiwanis Tri 2 weeks ago were so much better and more professional.

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:12 | 300 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/24
Overall: 103/244
Performance: Below average
Suit: TTT Tri Top and Bottom
Course: Pool Swim - 50m pool snake swim;
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:35:32 | 12.6 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 18/244
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85814140
Wind: Little
Course: out and back with some rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:08 | 03.05 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 19/244
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85814150
Course: 2 sections of out and back on a fairly flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 4:21 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon

2011-05-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3500894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon
Great job!! You are rocking it C!
2011-05-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3500894

Congratulations! Great job in a tough AG.  This was my first tri yesterday, and I thought the organizers did a great job in making me feel comfortable despite all the nerves, lol.
2011-05-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3501448

User image

Expert

tnguyen1 - 2011-05-16 10:17 AM Great job!! You are rocking it C!

Thanks Tania!  I was feeling good and didn't realize how well I did until I looked down on my watch and saw 1:05!  Now I just need to swim a little more

2011-05-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3501448

User image

Expert

[

tinyrunnre96 - 2011-05-16 11:19 AM Congratulations! Great job in a tough AG.  This was my first tri yesterday, and I thought the organizers did a great job in making me feel comfortable despite all the nerves, lol.

Congratulations on your first tri!  Mine was about 10 months ago and it felt good to be able to get on the podium of my AG.  I didn't think that was a possibility until later this year!

Hope to see you out on another one!

Edited by m2tx 2011-05-16 12:03 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed