Dallas Athletes Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 37s
Overall Rank = 34/49
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Where as Galveston 70.3 was meticulous in planning, training, nutrition and execution...this race was last minute, no planning, haphazard and inconsistent training at best. Going into this race I had no expectations b/c since Galveston I've done: 5 swims, 4 bike rides and 1 run. I've spent most of my time socializing, taking care of other responsiblities and being a "non-hyper-type-A-triathlete". Race Plan: 1.) Don't wreck on bike 2.) Have fun

I stayed at Johnans so I wouldn't have to drive the hour to the park at 4 in the morning. I forgot so much stuff. I forgot: toothbrush, arm warmers, wave swim cap, ear plugs....oops. Good thing Johnan had extra toothbrushes, the race had extra caps and just raced w/out the ear plugs and arm warmers.
Event warmup:

Walked and talked to teamates. Stretched arms. Tried to stretch out wetsuit.
Swim
  • 20m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beach start with wave. Line myself to right side so I can sight off of other swimmers and avoid sand bar on LT side. Running into the water I tripped and fell. Since I was horizontal already I just decided to start swimming. The other girls were still running in. This is the worse swim I've ever had. Ever. I knew I wouldn't be crushing this swim but 2:30 per 100? Ouch. 150-200M into the swim I got kicked in the gut by a breaststoker and inhaled a ton of water. I mean, it came flooding in my nose and mouth. I coughed it up and kept swimming. I did not feel smooth or good in the water. Just couldn't find my rhythem. I almost ran into a boat....not a kayak, a boat fishing another swimmer out. I'm sure I didn't swim in the straightest line. Coming out the water I was winded.....I have never been this out of breath coming out of the water. Ever. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I was actually glad to be out of the water. That has never been the case.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Not ingest so much lake water. In all my OWS, this is the most water I've ever taken in. Bleh.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Saw Greg volunteering as a wetsuit stripper and he got mine off not problem. One yank, OFF! Took my time in T1. Dried my feet off, took my time getting everything on. I was just trying to get my HR and breathing leveled. I really felt like crap after the swim.

Go faster?
Bike
  • 58m 3s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode completely blind. No HR moniter, watch or bike computer. Purely by RPE. I was feeling pretty terrible on the bike right after transition and I wanted to get my breathing and HR down, so I decided to take it easy and keep it in the small ring going out. Spun up hills, didn't want to wreck so I was very cautious about my surroundings. Lot's of ppl passed me. I am on a new bike and I don't think we have the fit quite dialed in. I think my seat is too low, I feel a little cramped in the cockpit and I couldn't quite get completely comfortable but once I warmed up I was just having fun being on the bike. At the turnaround I decided to put the hammer down. Threw it in the big ring and started passing people. Screamed "WHEEEEEE" as I was going downhill....might have scared a rider or two :) Was having a blast going faster. Too much fun in fact I wasn't paying attention and turned at the X-50 turn when one of the volunteers started yelling that the sprint was to the left. Ooops. Thats what I get for never knowing the course.

Ride more. Dial in fit.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Another long transistion. Took my time, got my socks on.

Go faster?
Run
  • 32m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Really loved the run course. It was through the park on a nice paved trail. Legs were jelly off the bike and so first 2 miles were more of a shuffle. Stomach was rolling and I thought I was going to throw up but didn't. I think my stomach was unhappy about the lake water. Contemplated about making myself vomit, but didn't want to have gross throw-up breath. I just took my time and enjoyed the run. Walked the aid stations and when I felt my tummy twirl. Yeah, I walked way too much for a 5k.

Run More. Not hold back so much, I had waaaay too much energy after this race. I knew I was wussing out by walking.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and drank beers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and making just about every mistake possible. Forgetting gear, not knowing the course, not knowing pace ect. But all in all, I had alot of fun. I need to race more and my goal this year is to get more experience so I stop making such silly mistakes and stop being so anxious. I'm in my 3rd season but I've only done a total of 4 tris. This race wasn't about being perfect or prepared. It was to go have fun and remember why I do this and not take it so seriously. Oh, and not wreck on my face. Goal accomplished.

Event comments:

Fun race with team!

Last updated: 2011-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:30 | 880 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 24/49
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low