Colorado Colfax Marathon
39F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 22s
Overall Rank = 974/3779
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 171/913
Pre-race routine:

According to the race organizers, we needed to be parked by 4:45 in order to ensure we could make the 6:00 start time, so I left the house at 4:00, scarfing my bagel with pb & honey, and sipping my tea. Forgot to grab my bottle of Gu Brew before I left. Because it was cold and drizzly, I stayed in my car as long as possible. Headed down to the start area about 5:15, hit the loo, and walked over to my start corral. Ran into Dan/velocomp and chatted for a bit. Great to see a familiar face!
Event warmup:

About 15 minutes before start time, did a quick run with some high knees, etc. Didn't do too much, because with the cold temps, I knew everything would cool off quickly.
Run
  • 1h 58m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the first few miles with Dan. He was hoping for a faster pace than I had dreamed of, so when he pulled ahead around mile 4, I didn't try to keep up. Race your race. Had a hard time spotting mile markers early on, but passed a lot of people for a long time after the start. After mile 6, that slowed down, so I started choosing people to pick off. Kept that up through the end. I had a sub 2:00 half-mary as a long-term goal, but wasn't thinking that was a possibility for this race--I had seeded myself in the 2:08 estimated finish corral. When I passed the 12 mile marker at 1:48, I was astonished. Took gu at miles 4 & 8, and just water everywhere else. Probably could have used another gel late, as the last 1.1 mile was a bit of a challenge for the engine (maybe because I was trying to push a little harder). I repeatedly told myself "you can puke after you cross the finish line," "you can walk after you cross the finish line." Crossed the finish line happy. Hip flexors then immediately froze up--gotta love racing in cold, wet conditions! Was a bit woozy, but did not puke! :)
What would you do differently?:

Take a gu at mile 10? They had aid stations every 2 miles, and mile 12 would have been too late.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to walk. Given the conditions, "warm-down" was instantaneous. Stretching would have been futile, if not harmful. Ran into Dan again, and he looked good! Grabbed a few things to nibble on, and hobbled over to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Due to work emergencies, I wasn't able to prep for this race the way I would have liked. Not enough sleep in the days leading up to the race--and I had to get up at 3:30 on race morning! Could have used some more calories along the way.

Event comments:

The race is well organized, with great volunteers. Given the conditions, I was even more grateful than usual for their efforts! Trying to get basic post-race food in the finish area was a bit of a mess. Some people were in line, others weren't, and the line moved extremely slowly--kind of miserable when you are cold and wet and just want to grab something to eat so you can get warm and dry. Doubt many folks stuck around for the post race activities.

Last updated: 2010-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 171/913
Overall: 974/3779
Performance: Good
Was averaging about 9:05/mile through mile 6, tried to turn it up a bit for the final 5K.
Course: Had a blast running through the fire station, with the firemen cheering us on! The last half is not as consistently downhill as one think, based on the course profile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes