General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Sarasota Storm Tri Club
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = n/a/750
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00AM. Had coffee, bagel, & banana and headed off about 5:00AM. Got to the race site just before 5:30AM. Got bodymarked and set up my transition area. Sipped on some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Since I was in the very last wave, and would have to wait for almost an hour to start, I decided it would be a waste of time to run or ride. Just went down to the beach and got in the water as soon as it got light enough.
Swam out about 100yds and back a couple of times. My stroke really felt good. Had been working on balancing my body roll and bi-lateral breathing and all was working well.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 440 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

We were swimming into some pretty good swells, maybe 3'-5'. I was in the middle of the pack. As we were getting close to the first buoy most of the swimmers in front of me had checked up and started doing breast stroke, so I had to slow up too. There was a guy about twenty yards back and to my right who had stopped swimming and was calling for help. He wasn't able to raise his arms to wave and the guards in the kayaks were pointing the other way. I started swimming towards him while waving and yelling at the guards. Got one kayak's attention and we got to the guy about the same time. I don't think the kayak guy was an actual lifeguard and seemed nervous about getting tipped over. I was just hanging around treading water while the guy held on to the end of the kayak. Within a couple of minutes a county beach lifeguard showed up on a jet ski and hauled the guy aboard to take him back to the beach.
By this time my wave was long gone, and since we were the very last wave, that made me the last swimmer in the water by a long stretch. Rather than press on I decided to just abandon the race. Didn't help that I got a couple big mouthfulls of water while I was treading water in the swells. Told the lifeguard I was dropping out and swam back the 100yds or so to shore, then casually walked back to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. Couldn't not stop if I knew the guy was in trouble and the lifeguards hadn't seen him.
I've been second-guessing myself whether I should have pressed on even though I was so far behind. I guess with the delay and the rough water conditions I just decided it wasn't worth it. But it was the first race I've ever DNF'd, so that has been bothering me a lot ever since.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Told the first race official I saw in T1 that I hadn't finished the swim course and turned in my chip. She came back in a couple of minutes with another official and they told me that it was OK if I wanted to finish the bike and run as an unofficial competitor, with no finishing time. Didn't want to at first, but they talked me into it. Hopped on the bike and took off.

Don't know. Definitely unusual circumstances.
Bike
  • 42m 16s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good ride. Fastest I've ever done the Siesta Key course in a race. (Of course I had about a ten minute break in T1 while talking to the officials and trying to decide if I was going to continue, so have to factor that "rest" period into my results.)
Since I was "unofficial" I tried to stay out of the way of the other competitors and let up a bit whenever I got passed so they could get by cleanly. I got passed by a lot of the Oly competitors doing their second lap, but pretty much was able to hold my own against the others doing the sprint distance race. Got out of the saddle and sprinted hard to get back up to speed after the tight turn-around on the south end of the course. Felt really good at that point.
Had a little adventure going through the interection at Stickney Pt Rd. the second time. The cops were holding traffic, but some women ignored them and pulled out right in front of two girls about fifteen yards in front of me. They hit the brakes and I could see air under their back tires. Luckily they didn't go over their bars. I was able to dodge behind the car and up onto the sidewalk to get around. Could hear the driver of the car arguing with the cop that she couldn't wait because she was running late to a breakfast event...
Thought I nailed the semi-technical section from the canal bridge through the tight turns back onto Beach Rd; hit the apexes just right.
My left Achilles started to get a little sore about 2/3 of the way. Not incapacitating, just sore.
Had to slow down a bit for traffic in the last 1-2 miles through the Siesta Village area. Thought some old coot in a huge Mercury was going to run me into the curb at one point just before the finish.

Not much. Thought I had a good ride, especially considering the limited amount of time I've had on the bike since the first of the year. Just need to get in better shape so I can push a bigger gear next time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Since the run was on soft sand and my Achilles was getting sore, I decided to not run and risk getting hurt. Racked my bike and headed over to the finish line area to get something to drink.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Skipped the run.

Under the circumstance I think I made the right call. Especially when I saw all the runners at the finish line who had taken their shoes off and were carrying them because of the difficulty running on the beach.
Post race
Warm down:

Got something to eat and drink and then sat off by myself for a while. Pretty down and depressed.
The official from T1 who convinced me to get on the bike made a point to thank me for helping the guy during the swim. Said that karma owed me one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Because this was my first race since hurting my Achilles last year, I figured I was only at about 80-85% fitness level, but was still looking forward to it as a "C" race. Still on my schedule for the year, but really bummed out over how the day turned out. Never DNF'd a race before, so that bothers me a lot.

Event comments:

Well-run race. Too bad about all the controversy with the beach run.
Selfishly I wish it had gone differently for me, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. Bummed out, but I'll get over it eventually.

Last updated: 2011-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 440 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/750
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Triangular course around two buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:16 | 13 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around Siesta Key.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back on soft sand.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course

2011-05-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3501839

Regular
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course

Sorry you had to abandon your race.  I'm sure the guy you helped appreciated it.  It was pretty rough for some people.

In the first wave of the olympic distance a guy bailed on the swim before he ever got to the first buoy.  Felt bad for him coming back in to the crowd at the beach.

2011-05-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3501839

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course
Hard to argue with the decisions you made, stopping to help another athlete, not putting yourself in a solo swim situation, avoiding an idiot on the road x 2, and not pushing an injury on an absolutely horrible run course.   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course Rss Feed