United States
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 26s
Overall Rank = 5/115
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 1/31
Pre-race routine:

loaded car the night before, up at 4:50, quick breakfast of cereal and left about 5:40, arrived at race by 6 for a reasonable transition spot. Ate an apple about 1 hr pre-race. Visited the porta-johns several times.
Event warmup:

rode bike about 1 mile for a quick functionality check, ran a half mile or so, put on wetsuit. Surprised to see there was no swimming warmup available, this worried me a bit. I was in 3rd heat, got in water immediately after 2nd heat and swam around a bit, think this pseudo swim warmup helped.
Swim
  • 08m 21s
  • 587 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Struggled with breathing the first half of race, there was a large bow or arc in the bouy line from the wind so I swam straight to the turn bouy and was pretty far off the line in the middle of the first leg, this led to some collisions with those outside of me trying to get closer to the bouy line. Finally settled down on the return leg and got breathing under control. My wife got some video of the end of the swim and my stroke rate was ridiculously low, maybe that's why I felt so fresh.
What would you do differently?:

Better swim warmup, keep breathing under control.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

2nd fastest T1, think lots of people were putting on long sleeves and gloves. Wetsuit came off well, no issues with getting over Garmin or chip. Deliberately kept running effort low in transition, I came to the realization that a few seconds quicker time in transtion from running fast doesn't help if it takes away from the bike.
Bike
  • 30m 55s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 22.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Waited until out of park on the downhill to put feet into shoes, got passed as I was messing with my shoes and he put some distance on me early in the climb, I caught him near the top, he got me back on the dam and stayed ahead 10-15s. 2nd and 3rd lap got passed early in climb, gap opened to 10-20 meters, started closing near top and passed back at start of descent.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

pulled right foot from shoe very early because I was a bit worried about fumbling with shoes given cold hands, but that was no problem. However, the finger dexterity required to put on socks and running shoes was a challenge and seemed to take forever, probably only an extra 10-20 seconds, it just felt painfully slow. Otherwise good transition.

stash gloves on the bike to keep the fingers warmer
Run
  • 19m 49s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

felt pretty slow out of transition, turnover was okay but stride length was short, Garmin was showing about 8 minute pace when I glanced at it, not sure I believe that, maybe excessive averaging left over from transition. Felt better by the hill and started catching a lot of guys ahead of me (mostly duathletes), then kept picking up the pace to the finish.

need more run and brick volume, hip rehab has gone very well and I just need to keep slowly building volume and intensity.
Post race
Warm down:

shivered, hung with the family for a few minutes until they left then hung out for the awards ceremony. Awesome massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weather

Last updated: 2011-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:21 | 587 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 13/115
Performance: Average
Suit: Fit2Race Sockeye Full
Course: CCW Rectangular. Short course? my swim pace seems pretty fast.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:55 | 11.5 miles | 22.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 4/115
Performance: Good
239W avg
Wind:
Course: 3 laps, climb on the first half, descend on the 2nd..
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:49 | 03 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 12/115
Performance: Below average
Course: half mile loop, then out park trails, up hill, back via park roads across dam
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 2:53 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: BikeSource Triathlon

2011-05-16 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3502250

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: BikeSource Triathlon
Great job!
2011-05-16 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3502250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: BikeSource Triathlon
I'm surprised they didn't cancel the swim considering they canceled it last year with just as cold weather. Regardless, congrats on a solid race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BikeSource Triathlon Rss Feed