73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 26s
Overall Rank = 43/591
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/42
Pre-race routine:

Chill
Stayed the night at hotel across street. Got in around 8 (just made packet pickup), and never felt really prepared for this race. Kinda had expectations of rain and wasn't really feeling it. Was still tweaking bike, nutrition, and gear up till about 10pm. Random packed junk into the bag and had a normal breakfast and ESPN morning.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up, disappointed by mist. Walked and talked around for a while. Made way down to swim and took a look that people were warming up near the finish. So I made my way to the start. Numbers are pretty irrelevant for the swim start apparently. Quick scanned the course and thats about it. Still out of it.
Swim
  • 31m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

HOLY CRAP that swim SUCKED. First off I apparently didnt take a good enough look because I decided to swim the everywhere there was water. First off with the mist I couldnt really sight JACK. Make matters worse I was wearing typical yellow tint goggles, this strategy didnt fare well for sighting yellow buoys. Green caps piece of cake. So I started pretty slow-head still "EH whatever" and swam in a jumprope pattern I think to the first buoy. after a stint of breastroke mind you, because I felt lost. Swam a little better in the middle got a rhythm but noticed Im pulling CRAZY left, even when trying HARD to swim RIGHT-forget straight! Then-this is a little fuzzy-but I swear I made 3 Right turns. Either eay its home stretch time. Still cant really see and Im now just trying to draft with people-hopefully they know where we are going. I realize the flashing is a camera taking pics of people exiting-SWIM THERE! So I see a yellow buoy and swim "straight" at it also thinking its the last buoy. So yeah its not and I have one more before the exit. that swim felt SO LONG.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

So in my "awesome preperation" I didnt really pay attention to where my bike was, becuase I thought it was further down the rack. Yeah it wasnt-I overshot by about 20 bikes-ugh.

another walkthrough
Bike
  • 1h 09m 41s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Very nice ride. My only problem is I had a "rattle" from bump 1. Couldnt really recreate it unless I hit a bump, or "popped a wheelie" Stopped at teh top of the first hill to examine the bike. Bars-ok, brakes-ok, stem-ok, wheel, tight-ok. Can't recreate it while standing still. After about 6 miles I realize that it is the "Cap" on my speedfill rattling-FINALLY! So now its on. I pushed with alot of riders around me. Just a really good ride.

Start faster, stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I usually like to go sub-1:00 but today just wasn't my day. Socks for a 10K probably broke that for me. No biggie, blisters on the run cost more time in my opinion.

Just hurry more.
Run
  • 41m 6s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were garbage in frist mile-which in my opinion took longer than usual. GREAT volunteers and great course. 2nd mile legs came back.Running in tunnels is weird, not something Ive done before and I just felt weird. Didnt enjoy the switchback incline over the tunnel. Mile markers at every mile was GREAT. but Im pretty sure either 3-4 or 4-5 was off. I had a slow mile followed by a FAST mile. So whatever, the distance combined seemed all correct, just one marker maybe sooner or later than shoulda been. I must have seen a total of 6 water stations-out and back-which all had great volunteers. I'm the "hit me in the face" with it guy-and volunteers love doing that it seems so Im good with it. Aim was a little off early on though-haha.
GREAT run-was actually a PR for me!

Nothing-loved every minute of it.
Post race
Warm down:

Light jogging, stretching. Cheering on teammates and friends. food and drink. Pack it up and head home. ALOT of cops in the area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Prep

Event comments:

The mist was it-after that all pt cloudy and pt sunny. Wasted mental energy for me.

Last updated: 2011-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/42
Overall: 0/591
Performance: Bad
Suit: None-Reality Bikes Tri Kit
Course: Hindsight: It was a straight out from a downhill sandy entry, make a right, make a right, head in about 50 yds from where you started. Murky the whole time.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:41 | 25 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/42
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Jumprope. 300 ft no passing zone out. start with a mild hill, then down and into a nice ride. rolling course with maybe 2 bad spots. 2 definate hard turns to the right. Split in the course for sprint and OLY marked well-I thought-others would disagree.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:06 | 06.2 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/42
Performance: Good
Course: Out of transition to the golf path, rolling downhill start. mild rollers to flat the whole way. 1 little switchback incline from a tunnel to an overpath. mild rolling uphill to the finish. Sharp turn and 50 feet to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes