General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being completely out of line here?...(very wordy) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-05-17 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Am I being completely out of line here?...(very wordy)

I signed up for a race in July and after some discussion here and viewing a couple of websites, I found that the run distance was shorter than what was listed on the registration form. I'm trying to get ready for an OLY coming up so increasing my distances was something that was very important to me.  So I inquired and the following conversation ensued:

"Hello,
 I've recently registered for the JCC Scottsdale firecracker MAXI distance tri and I had a question about the run distance. On the registration from it states that the run in 4 miles. I've since found sites that state that it is only a 2 mile run. Can someone please get back and confirm the distance for me. I'm getting ready for a bigger race and this distance was perfect for what I needed at the listed distance.I understand that Active.com does not refund money, however, if it is listed wrong I feel that it should be reconsidered. Could I perhaps transfer the funds to a different race? Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Thank you,
Jasen Santiago"

So far I feel I'm being very polite..

Response one:

"The run for BOTH the Mini & Maxi tri is 2 miles................

Mark"

Okay, fair enough. So I wrote back:

"Thank you so much for your fast reply...Now on to my second concern. I purposely avoided registering for other triathlons because I didn't want to do one with such a short run. I would really like to transfer the funds I paid to another race a couple weeks later that hosts a longer sprint. I don't mean to be difficult, but I feel that this race was misrepresented and that I should be able to select a different race. If you could perhaps get me the contact information to the person I would speak to about this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jasen"

His gracious reply:

"Hello Jasen,
MINI TRI: Adults: 250 yd. Swim, 9.5 mi Bike, 2 mi Run; MAXI TRI: 500 yd. swim, 12.6 mi Bike, 2 mi Run

The race distance are printed directly from the entry form (see above), not sure what could be more clear. I would perhaps allow a transfer to a later trifamilyracing.com event as long as it is the same price or more,.... if more I would expect the difference of the two entries. See trifamilyracing.com for entry forms and races.

Not sure where you got the 4 mile information from unless it is from the same race (except in October). With that said,.... I can't be responsbile for someone else's mistake.

I am the person who makes the decision as I am the owner.

Mark [will edit out to protect the guilty]"

Now,I'm feeling a little insulted...I guess he didn't know I came with proof.

"Attached is a screen shot of the registration page that I went to to sign up for this event. [picture is of the registration form that has wrong distance stated.] With all due respect, sir, I'm not sure what could be more UNclear... As you've clearly stated, "you cannot be repsonsible for someone else's mistake". I'm sure this rule does not apply only to you...I've already signed up for Bartlett (a trifamily event) and unless you have an unlisted upcoming event, I don't see any event that I would like to participate in. I think, Mark, that before you question where I got my information, you do some research for yourself first..."

His thoughts:

"And like I said, anyone else, yes that includes Active.com

Mark"

Is it just me, or did I get duped here?...I consider myself a polite person and don't feel that what I requested was out of line at all. I'm new to Triathlons, though...Did I break some sort of etiquette law? The other race I wanted to do is a couple weeks afterwards, but I'd rather not drop the extra $100.00 and squeeze an extra race in there. Any thoughts, people?...

Edited by GoodStash 2011-05-17 7:17 PM

2011-05-17 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3504960

User image

Regular
Pleasanton
Subject: RE: Am I being completely out of line here?...(very wordy)
Sounds like your buddy Mark is pretty big on the: "The customer is always wrong" attitude. If I were a small time race productions guy like him, i would rather not you and ten of your friends off and just refund your money and call it an honest mistake on your part (or his, that was unclear). It kinda sounds like you might have to just do this race or kiss your hundo goodbye.
2011-05-17 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Although the dude is unusually rude, it sounds like he'll let you transfer the entry fee to another event within his company.  Maybe there's a late season race after your oly that would be good for you.  I say:  choose an event that would be fun for you, let go of your attachment to this event as the perfect pre-oly race, enjoy the event you run and never use this event company again.  Oh yea, SMILE, it ain't like ya lost a leg.
2011-05-17 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
To be honest, I think it's a bit silly for you to even be worrying about it.  But hey, I'm the type that never pets the sweaty stuff.
2011-05-17 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3504984

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

jackson61802 - 2011-05-17 8:27 PM To be honest, I think it's a bit silly for you to even be worrying about it.  But hey, I'm the type that never pets the sweaty stuff.[/QUOTE]

now that's funny

2011-05-17 7:31 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
just another example of why i dislike the racket that is a necessary evil known as  Active.com.  Unfortunately many races only take Active.com registrations. 

2011-05-17 7:36 PM

New user
Old Hickory
What a jerk, him not you! I don't see that you did anything wrong. I have had races shortened because of weather but dude was totally out of line. As the owner of this company he is responsible for all of marketing and registration information to be correct. If you paid by credit card I would suggest that you dispute the charge. I would think that you would receive your money back as this guy kinda did the bait and switch. I also think that I would avoid any events put on by this promoter.
2011-05-17 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I know there are registration sites that will only do their own race information entry -- meaning they put up the ionfo on their site, and the RD can't do anything about it. Of course, they could contact the online entry company and request that the info be changed, but that can take... weeks. Seriously.

So while you didn't do anything wrong, most likely neither did he, and he's getting burned by some one else's mistake (and you get caught in the middle).

He's offered what he can -- applying the funds to a later race OF HIS. Take it or leave it.

2011-05-17 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
I've done several Trifamily Racing events over the years and they are a very small race company, catering very much to the beginner. It really surprises me that the email was so rude as Mark seems like a very nice guy in person. They do offer a few longer races, even some pool swim Olympic distance races so maybe transferring your entry would be best? There's not much going on in the tri scene in Phx in summer but Deuces wild and Mtn Man have some good events where it's cooler
2011-05-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3505012

User image

briderdt - 2011-05-17 2:44 PM

I know there are registration sites that will only do their own race information entry -- meaning they put up the ionfo on their site, and the RD can't do anything about it. Of course, they could contact the online entry company and request that the info be changed, but that can take... weeks. Seriously.

So while you didn't do anything wrong, most likely neither did he, and he's getting burned by some one else's mistake (and you get caught in the middle).

He's offered what he can -- applying the funds to a later race OF HIS. Take it or leave it.

Agree.  I don't think a refund is in order, but I do think he could have been a little nicer in his tone.  And IMO, I don't think you responding to his tone by giving some tone of your own in your last email to him did you any favors.

That being said, the other post above is probably right.  If you used your credit card, you can dispute the charge by calling the bank/credit card company.  In the world of credit cards, the customer has the absolute highest level of protection.  My guess is that Active.com will be forced to refund your money.  Now...it's up to Active.com whether or not they want to request the money paid to "Mark the RD" back.  My guess is since that it was their mistake...they won't.  All parties should be satisfied, and the one who made the error is on the hook.  At least that's the way I believe it will play out.

2011-05-17 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Do the run course twice....problem solved.

2011-05-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3505037

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
tri808 - 2011-05-17 5:55 PM
briderdt - 2011-05-17 2:44 PM

Agree.  I don't think a refund is in order, but I do think he could have been a little nicer in his tone.  And IMO, I don't think you responding to his tone by giving some tone of your own in your last email to him did you any favors.

I agree 100%...And I'm usually pretty level headed. I was a little taken by his reply as I thought that I was being very polite. I run a business as well and couldn't imagine responding to someone like this who was obviously wronged whether it was my fault or not. I guess I needed a little venting. Hell, I guess I'm still venting ....Laughing

2011-05-17 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
U should print fliers with the email info and pass it out at the event. That will make his day
2011-05-17 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mark should have contacted Active.com and gotten it taken care of (at the very least tried).  Especially in a world with the Internet, it is all about customer service.   Do the race as a training day, and make sure you let all your tri buddies know if they have a choice they should pick another company. Just by posting this, I know myself and likely many others will be very wary of doing any events put on by this company.

2011-05-17 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3505143

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
jmcconne - 2011-05-17 7:15 PM

Mark should have contacted Active.com and gotten it taken care of (at the very least tried).  Especially in a world with the Internet, it is all about customer service.   Do the race as a training day, and make sure you let all your tri buddies know if they have a choice they should pick another company. Just by posting this, I know myself and likely many others will be very wary of doing any events put on by this company.

And don't be surprised if, at some point in the not-too-distant future, you have significantly fewer local races to choose from.

2011-05-17 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

You may have some recourse if you paid by credit card and dispute the charge with Visa or Mastercard saying that the information on the website was misleading at the time the registration was made.  They will then pursue a chargeback on your behalf and you are out of it.

However, choose your battles, because if you go this route you may not be able to ever register for race with this producer again.

2011-05-17 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3505176

User image

Expert
briderdt - 2011-05-17 10:53 PM

And don't be surprised if, at some point in the not-too-distant future, you have significantly fewer local races to choose from.

What if it was billed As a 13 mile run but they were offering 6.2? Would he be able to gripe then?I support the little man but they also have to do what's right.
2011-05-17 10:38 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
GoodStash - 2011-05-17 8:16 PM

His thoughts:

"And like I said, anyone else, yes that includes Active.com

Mark"

FWIW... I help run a 5K/10K running event in my community, and we use Active.com for our race registration. We provide Active with the information to post on the registration page. I'm pretty sure they just cut and paste the info we send them electronically... The RD of this event must have either provided them with the incorrect information, or at the very least, did not review the information that was posted on Active (which is his responsibility, IMO)....

2011-05-17 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3505185

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
DiOnMaui - 2011-05-17 8:07 PM

You may have some recourse if you paid by credit card and dispute the charge with Visa or Mastercard saying that the information on the website was misleading at the time the registration was made.  They will then pursue a chargeback on your behalf and you are out of it.

However, choose your battles, because if you go this route you may not be able to ever register for race with this producer again.

I thought about this, and have decided that I'm just gonna let it go. I did, however, respond to his e-mail in a polite, but "I'm right, you're a jerk" kind of way...Of course he had no response to reason. I'm afraid if I ruffle too many feathers he could be a complete d**k and my registration could magically get "lost" on race day. Also, as I mentioned to him, I'm doing the Bartlett Lake OLY which unfortunately is also his event...Don't want to risk off the director for my first OLY distance...

Edited by GoodStash 2011-05-17 10:54 PM
2011-05-17 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3505186

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
ajusf16 - 2011-05-17 8:11 PM

What if it was billed As a 13 mile run but they were offering 6.2? Would he be able to gripe then?I support the little man but they also have to do what's right.

You apparently missed my point entirely -- if you start a trial-by-internet frenzy and rally the community to boycott events, don't be surprised if the events, or maybe even an entire race company (with all their events), disappear.

We're not that big of a community, racers and RDs, so let's try to help each other out. There's (or should be) a symbiotic relationship here.

2011-05-18 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3505233

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
briderdt - 2011-05-17 8:51 PM

You apparently missed my point entirely -- if you start a trial-by-internet frenzy and rally the community to boycott events, don't be surprised if the events, or maybe even an entire race company (with all their events), disappear.

We're not that big of a community, racers and RDs, so let's try to help each other out. There's (or should be) a symbiotic relationship here.

This is exactly right...Which is why I got so bummed when this guy had his "I know you got screwed, but I don't care" attitude. The other events that he so graciously offered to transfer me to were all of equal or shorter distances. Whatever, part of being a newbie is figuring out who you want to do races with and who you don't. I'll have fun doing it no matter what and move on...

2011-05-18 1:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
briderdt - 2011-05-17 10:51 PM

I agree with you, to an extent.  I think that 'helping each other out' ends when the RD treats customers like this. I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but a small business owner should realize this too and use a polite tone with his customers.  To me the most upsetting part isn't that he isn't willing to give a refund - its the way he told the OP.  I would never sign up for another event of his.  If this means his events and race company disappear, then obviously I wasn't the only one slighted by his poor business practices.

Just my 2 cents. Races are expensive (for racers and organizers) but that is all the more reason for his information to be correct.

2011-05-18 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
briderdt - 2011-05-17 11:51 PM

In the same sense, if RD's respond to racers like this it may push someone out of the sport all together as well.

Just because an event is there does not mean they deserve success and the support of the community.  They also need to earn it and treat their athletes properly.  If that means some smaller races die, it would probably mean that more than one person was unhappy.

2011-05-18 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Really poor customer service.

Admit the error.  Fix the error.  Thank the customer for finding the error.  Offer full refund or transfer to another event (with difference) and you've probably just created a customer for life (or at least a happy camper).  Don't and you've got people on a message board discussing the situation.

Given the circumstances, however, I'd just run two more miles at the end of the event to meet my own goals. 

Remember:  Illegitimi non carborundum

2011-05-18 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
poor customer service, plain and simple.  The size of the community or the number of local events has zero bearing on what is proper etiquette on the RD's behalf in this instance.  I'd rather have half the events organized and represented in a professional manner than double the events with this attitude representing them.  I work with a large number of outsourced representative agencies of my companies and rule number one is ownership; you do not pass blame.  If active.com screwed up then fine, take it up with them after you right the wrong with the customer.  The OP doesn't have to do anything to close down that particular event organizer, they are obviously well on their way to doing it themselves.   I'm local, I'm new, and with that level of CS I'll not be signing up for any of their events. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I being completely out of line here?...(very wordy) Rss Feed  

of 2