United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 45m 33s
Overall Rank = 209/358
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to catch a ride with my wonderful training partner and brother, racinmason, who graciously agreed to drive me all the way out to the start. This race is a point-to-point, so this was a GOOD thing! Drank my Perpetuem (race breakfast of champions!) and got to the door to see him waiting (sorry bro!) We also took his neighbor and fist-time Marathoner with us. Both were great company in the morning.
Event warmup:

What? Really?
Run
  • 4h 45m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a long run. (duh) The first 19 miles were pretty uneventful, except that I ran with a very talkative gentleman who remembered every mile of every race he'd ever run. I can barely remember the last race I ran - I was scurrying around the night before this one trying to find my number belt and someone had to remind me it was with the stuff from Bloomsday...oh, Bloomsday was my last race? OK. This gentleman ran slightly faster than I should have been running but I couldn't seem to slow my pace. I kept looking at my HR, saying 'high Z2 is too high for now', saying to the guy, "I need to back off a bit," then looking down a few minutes later and being in the same spot. Just a tip for those running with someone slower than yourself, DON'T thank them for running slow and keeping you under control... :)

When he dropped off about mile 12, things got quieter and I was back to my own pace. Miles 12-19 were fine, just another run.

At mile 19 I stopped to get water and...uh-oh... couldn't get myself running again. Everything hurt and I was crabby, I actually thought about quitting the race (which I just don't do!) I would pick a rock and say to myself, "I'll run at that rock," then walk by it, then pick something else, "I'll definitely run at that tree." Nope. Just couldn't do it until my own personal run angels came by and said, "Don't stop, you were doign so well!" Well fine. I'll run. So I followed them about 10 feet behind for a bit and got my mojo back. I hope I was able to return the favor.

The last 6 miles were a grind, but I ran most of them and only walked for very brief periods. It threw me when the course deviated from what I expected at the end and went along the North side of the river. I run around there all the time, but purposely don't run on that part of the trail. There are steep short rollers, a whole section of uneven bricks, a boardwalk that goes down then back up...I just don't like it so I was disappointed to turn that way. Winding around the park was tough when I just wanted to be done but finally there was the sweet sweet finish line.

They got my name right, a bunch of good friends were there from the club cheering for me, and I felt good going across the line. What more can you ask?

I would have liked to break 4:45, BUT as I looked back at my race, there was only one moment I could have done it and I wouldn't have traded that moment for the time. I passed a half-marathon walker who was really struggling - I always try to say something as I go by, "Good Job," "We're Gettng There," whatever... when I talked to this woman she answered in a voice on the edge of tears. I turned around and told her she needed a hug, hugged her and walked with her and chatted for a little bit. I hope I helped her day just a bit.

Special thanks to my brother, without whom I would not be where I am today.

What would you do differently?:

Really nothing. I probably should have run just a bit slower for the first 10, but it was well within my ability. This was a good day
Post race
Warm down:

Good grief, I hurt. Not right at first, at first I was just stiff and sore and tired like I would expect. I walked around a bit, drank some water, walked some more, then thought I might need some salt. They were serving chicken soup, so I got a cup, then as I was standing there talking with some people all of a sudden EVERYTHING hurt really bad. Never felt that before! Everything ached something fierce, but the backs of my legs from my heels to my butt slowly started cramping and I just suddenly felt really ill. I took my soup over to an out-of-the-way table and sat down to pull myself together and it eventually went away, but that was AWFUL! I hope that never happens again!

After that little episode, I watched some finishers, walked around, got a massage (YAY!) and waited for my ride. Good times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

30 extra pounds, as usual. Lack of cross-training - given my time constraints I got most of my runs in, but very little biking or swimming during the training cycle. The heat - this was the warmest day so far, and the first few warm runs are always kind of a pain for me.

All good, though, we do the best with what we have.

Event comments:

Despite some rocky times in the first years of this race, I thought this year's went off very well.

Just a note about this race, women outnumber men in the marathon, and women outnumber men 3:1 in the half! Go Ladies!

Finally a note about how they are working for the athletes - the women's shirts are extremely odd-shaped, to the point that mine is unwearable. When I wrote to ask about exchanging it, they wrote right back and said they were unhappy with the shirts and were already doing another printing. That was great, they have to double up on costs but they are going ahead to make the athletes happy. Way to go, Windermere!

Last updated: 2011-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
04:45:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/358
Performance: Good
Course: Centennial trail from Post Falls, ID to Riverfront Park in Spokane, WA. The last bit had too many corners over uneven bricks for me, but all in all a very very nice course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-18 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: Windermere marathon

2011-05-18 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3505701

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Windermere marathon
Woo Hoo!  Great RR sis!  Just remember NOT to thank me for slowing you down at Portland!!  You're the one that's got me where I am so big thanks and congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Windermere marathon Rss Feed