General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner to Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-18 12:00 PM

Subject: Runner to Triathlete

I picked up running last year after completing the P90X program.  I went from not running to doing a 10k (56 minutes) in about 8 weeks.  Yeah, that wasn't smart, and I ended up messing up my knee towards the end of that 10k and had to take a long time to recover. 

I started running again a month ago and decided to take it slow this time around.  I can easily run 25 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times per week and maintain just under a 9 min/mi pace (still improving, when I started up running again just a month ago I was over 10 min/mi).  I expect to be around my 8:45 min/mi or better pace by the end of next month.  I continue to take running longer (distance and time) at a very slow pace to make sure I don't do more than my body can handle and end up injuring myself again.

Okay, with all that background here's the meat of my post.  I want to do a Triathlon, starting with a Sprint of course.  There is one in my area towards the beginning of August.  If I started to include biking and swimming into my workout routines now, would the beginning of August be too soon?  I know it would really depend on my progress in each area, but I just want to make sure I don't do what I did last year and do too much in too little time.

In addition, I have a basic mountain bike.  Nothing special, pretty basic one I've had for a few years.  As a beginner Triathlete, would that suffice?  I would like to avoid spending too much money when I'm just starting out.  Would slapping some road tires on to the bike and taking it into a bike shop to have it adjusted to better fit my body be adequate?

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

2011-05-18 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3506121

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Runner to Triathlete
well its good that you back up and around..

yeah, you have enough time to train for a sprint.. check out the bt programs.. they work pretty good..

Many people start triathlon riding mountain bikes (you wont be the only one). Hybrid tires are about all you can do it. but while training with look around for a used bike.. some people spend tons of money on a bike and race it once, and never race again.. and sell them pretty cheap.

Just get out there and do... Have fun and just finish. worry about the 2nd race, because there will be one.!
2011-05-18 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

First, welcome!

If you are at all active and can swim, you can most likely complete a Sprint Tri.  You will see all types of bikes, inclduign Mtn bikes, and all types of swim strokes, although front crawl is most common of course.  Swap out nobbys for slicks and you are good to go!

Most important - have a ton of fun!

2011-05-18 12:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-05-18 12:13 PM

Expert
Made the same change a number of years ago but had been running a little longer (about 20 years) and had done some mountain bike racing.

The short answer is I imagine you will be fine, just be patient with your training (as you learned when picking up running).

The slightly longer answer is that you should have no problem picking up the biking as that is a pretty easy transition from running.  The real challenge is swimming.  If at all possible, I would have someone look at your swim form early on as that makes a huge difference in how quickly you pick it up.  It is not like running and biking where by doing more, you usually get better.  Swim all you want, if you have lousy form, you will not improve that much.

As far as the bike, I would definately just use the mountain bike and put some slicks on it.  No sense going out spending money if you are not sure if you are going to stick with it. 

Good luck and make sure you use the logs here (if not already).

Mark
2011-05-18 12:50 PM

Thanks a bunch for the responses!  They really help in making a decision to go for this.  I'm excited to get biking and swimming into my routine.  And I'm also happy to know that I don't have to invest hundreds of dollars into this in the beginning.  We'll see how it goes after the first. 

2011-05-18 12:56 PM

Champion
MA

If you can swim, you can do it.

I wouldn't spend money on low end mountain bike other than what is needed to make it work. If you love the sport you will most likely get a new bike a tri or road bike so saving your money for that will be better use of money long term. If you don't like tris, why have different tires for a MTB you may not ride? Bike fit on a mountain bike I don't think is as important as road/tri bike as you don't stay in static position as much. Having saddle height and reach right will help.

Pick a training plan and follow it. Doing so will help you avoid injuries more likely. Key for many new triathletes is they think they know how to swim as they did as a kid but getting in the pool or lake and swimming 500 yds is quite different. You are fit from running but that doesn't necessarily translate into swimming well. Many feel winded after swimming 50 yds. It is a technique issue not a I'm not fit enough to do this issue.

Get in the pool soon, pick and follow a plan and have fun!

2011-05-18 2:01 PM

Oviedo, Florida

I agree what what everyone else has said. I was a distance runner and just started getting burned out. Figured I'd try a sprint tri. Hopped in the pool and was shocked that after 50 yards I was gasping for air. "I'm a marathoner for God's sake! How can this be!".  I also only had a mountain bike and after 10 miles or so,  my legs felt like lead balloons.

But I used the training plans here on BT and got my butt in the saddle of that mountain bike as much as I could. Scoured the web to find help with freestyle swimming form and went for it.  Even with a pretty slow swim and getting clobbered by EVERYONE on the bike leg, I still had an absolutely great time in my first race! In fact, the day I came home from that tri, I signed up for my very next one.

I did eventually get a starter road bike from my LBS. I checked many, many, many used bikes, but decided by the time I was fitted properly and replaced whatever I needed on a used bike, a brand new starter road bike was a better deal in the long run. Plus my LBS gives free tune-ups for life! Sweet deal there.

I think you should go for it. Just get out and enjoy the race. Don't try to kill yourself and don't over-analyze the race afterwards (like I always do). Freesytle, breast stroke, back stroke, doggy paddle - whatever you have to do to finish the swim. Just don't worry...  there will be plenty of people just like you (and me) out there. You'll finish, and you'll love it!

Good luck!

--

Dave

2011-05-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3506406

Elite
davetib - 2011-05-18 2:01 PM

I agree what what everyone else has said. I was a distance runner and just started getting burned out. Figured I'd try a sprint tri. Hopped in the pool and was shocked that after 50 yards I was gasping for air. "I'm a marathoner for God's sake! How can this be!".  I also only had a mountain bike and after 10 miles or so,  my legs felt like lead balloons.

But I used the training plans here on BT and got my butt in the saddle of that mountain bike as much as I could. Scoured the web to find help with freestyle swimming form and went for it.  Even with a pretty slow swim and getting clobbered by EVERYONE on the bike leg, I still had an absolutely great time in my first race! In fact, the day I came home from that tri, I signed up for my very next one.

I did eventually get a starter road bike from my LBS. I checked many, many, many used bikes, but decided by the time I was fitted properly and replaced whatever I needed on a used bike, a brand new starter road bike was a better deal in the long run. Plus my LBS gives free tune-ups for life! Sweet deal there.

I think you should go for it. Just get out and enjoy the race. Don't try to kill yourself and don't over-analyze the race afterwards (like I always do). Freesytle, breast stroke, back stroke, doggy paddle - whatever you have to do to finish the swim. Just don't worry...  there will be plenty of people just like you (and me) out there. You'll finish, and you'll love it!

Good luck!

--

Dave

LOL...this was the big shocker for me last summer when I hopped in the pool as well!  As a conditioned runner I thought I'd bang out lap after lap....I'm not sure I even made it 50 yards before I was dyin'!  It was a humbling experience for sure!

2011-05-18 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3506406

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
davetib - 2011-05-18 3:01 PM

Good luck!

--

Dave

Ditto for me...took about 4 months to get my swimming even to the point where I knew I would have no problems, road my hybrid (MOP bike split...yeah!), and ran a PR 5K in my first tri.  I REALLY took it easy on the swim and was out there forever.

Bought a roadie two months ago and am training for two OLYs and maybe an HIM later this year.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner to Triathlete Rss Feed