General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Flying Pig Marathon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 31s
Overall Rank = 575/10891
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 64/557
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, coffee, snack, hit the road for a 50 min drive to downtown. I had a good idea of where I wanted to park to avoid the traffic delays getting into downtown. Master plan worked like a charm. Lucky enough to have Twinklebug along to cowbell on this race, so logistics were a bit easier. She volunteered to keep my dry clothes dry in the cool ASICS backpack swag.
Event warmup:

Walked about 1 1/2 miles to the start line. Went to the middle pf the port-a-potties and found a short, moving line. In and out in 10 minutes... magic! The start corrals this year were a much better than the "honor system" that was in-place last year. I found my corral and was able to move near the front fairly easily. Finished my Gu, made sure the Garmin was ready to go, and then we were off.
Run
  • 1h 45m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little slow coming out of the gate for the first 2-3 miles but then I fell into the groove. Ran through all of the aid stations, alternating water and some gatorade. Stuck to my schedule with the gels. Maintained a good pace going up the big hill, and just seemed to rock it coming down.
What would you do differently?:

Push my self a little harder at the top of the hill to regain my pace. I didn't lose that much in the climb and kept under the target pace I wanted on the way up, but could have accelerated quicker back to race pace once things leveled off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish corral, grabbed some drink and grub, Found Twinklebug, who was much more excited about my PR than I was (I think I was still in disbelief/denial) and grabbed some more food. Walked the longer distance back to the car and strectched the legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, my energy levels were pretty good throughout the race. Had a good push at the end, but I think I could have picked up the pace a bit earlier. Need to bring some speed training into play and work on getting those legs to turn over faster.

Event comments:

Overall, a well-organized race with great crowds along the entire course and lots of enthusiastic volunteers. The only thing that would keep me from running the Pig is another race in some exotic location I haven't seen, and a means to get there.

Last updated: 2010-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:31 | 13.1 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/557
Overall: 575/10891
Performance: Good
Course: Normal Fying Pig Half course, past GABP, into Newport and back, across town, up hill and down. Overall course conditions were good, a few puddles here and there. As always some uneven areas on the bridges to be wary of.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes