Ironman North America Athlete Services
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 9s
Overall Rank = 816/1908
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 97/191
Pre-race routine:

Had a pack of oatmeal, banana, Wheaties that came from the goodie bag at around 4am and sipped on Gatorade through the rest of the morning. I did some stretching before the race while watching all the waves start. My wave was 3rd to last.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do any formal warming up, I kinda used the swim as my warm up.
Swim
  • 38m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Easy swim! I swam with my tri top on, though I wish I hadn't since I definitely felt the drag from it. My main thought was on the run leg so I went conservative on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim without the tri top. My top can fully unzip and I've practiced putting on after getting out of water and have been able to do it without much loss of time. I'm not sure why I decided to swim with it, but I won't be next time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

My right ankle has been hurting for the past week and a half or so and after getting out of the water and running to my bike I got a little worried how the run would turn out since it was bothering me all the way through transition.

I guess if I had a choice I'd hurry up a bit. The thing is it was raining a lot right before the race so I kept all my stuff in my bag and had a plastic bag over it which slowed me down quite a bit.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I originally planned on going a little slower, around 3:10, but I felt great during the bike leg. I never got out of breath except on whatever hills there were (very small hills!). There was some headwind here and there but there was a good amount of tailwind to even that out. I didn't really know how hard I pushed until the second I dismounted, then I felt how heavy my legs were! I think my nutrition was ok, I took a gel every 35-40min and drink about 1/2-3/4 a bottle of Ironman Perform (provided by the course) every hour.

I would put more time in the saddle during training, I know I didn't have nearly as much as I should have leading up to the race. Also, I think I would need to use the electrolyte tablets around the last hour of the bike since I did start to get cramping on the run!
Transition 2
  • 06m 3s
Comments:

Once I got off the bike I knew the damage was done! I had gone a little too fast and my legs were quite heavy. Everyone else around me was walking their bike to their rack so I did the same. Once I got to my space I pretty much took my time putting on more sunblock and making a bathroom break.

All in all I don't think that taking my time during transitions made a difference in how I would feel during the race so I really need to work on speeding things up!
Run
  • 2h 07m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

The first two loops went well (as well as it can after 56mi of biking!), but the third loop was brutal. My loop splits were 8:39 / 9:15 / 10:53 so yeah, I walked a good part of that last one. I started getting cramps in my left quad a little into the run but didn't bother me too much, but during the last loop my right quad started cramping, too. Also my ankle pain that I was dreading the thought of during the bike was surprisingly manageable throughout the run. Even though I hoped for a better run leading up to the race, I expected worse due to my ankle so I'm happy about how it all turned out.

I probably need to get in more electrolytes especially since I sweat so much. I never needed them in training, I guess because I trained through a Chicago winter, but I will consider them next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing specifically, just did a lot of walking to get my bike from transition back to Tri Bike Transport and then to the buses.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle injury and not enough electrolytes.

Event comments:

Not the races fault that it didn't start on time. There was a good amount of rain and lightning in the area at the original start time. I would do this race again if I lived closer and am able to train in warmer climates, but living in Chicago I learned to look for a HIM distance race that is held at a much later date!

Last updated: 2010-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 67/191
Overall: 471/1908
Performance: Average
Suit: Pactimo Tri top and bottom
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:01 | 56 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 115/191
Overall: 935/1908
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop going around Orange County.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:07:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 97/191
Overall: 811/1908
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 Loops, some parts on cement trail and some on a good amount of grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes