General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2011-09-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3693242

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Subject: RE: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread
scottyr7 - 2011-09-20 9:51 AM
Savage8778 - 2011-09-20 9:36 AM

Hey all,

Weather keeps playing tricks with my mind (and in turn, my game plan). A few days ago it said high 80's and mid-90's.

Yesterday, it went back to low 80's, now we are back to mid-80's. Either way, I am ready. Coming from Florida, and just having run the HOT (Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon), my body is about as acclimated as I can get for heat loads. Thanks for the tips on the bike course. I am hoping to drive the bike course on Saturday afternoon as a nice little relaxation session...I am a big visualizer, and have been through all my years of various forms of competition (Football, Mixed Martial Arts/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, surfing).

Silly question, but I am trying to plan ahead...Is everyone bringing their own bottles to start off on the bike, and then toss them at an aid station? Or is it possible to get two water bottles to put on your bike while you are in transition. Trying to figure out if I need to buy some cheap bottles for my rear-holder for the first segement(s) of the race (planning on bypassing the first aid station).

Here is a guy that took the time to drive and video tape the course. This is for last year and I don't think the course has changed at all.

http://youtu.be/YLXZFoc8S6Q

Thanks Scotty, I actually have watched that video a few times, but I still think nothing is better than actually being on the road, at least part of it. I know, call me crazy...

2011-09-21 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3508411

Looking forward to this race, I hoped this would be a sub 5.  (untill I came down with a nasty cold about 2 days ago).  My wife has decided to bring our 8yr old and 4yr old to watch dad suffer in Augusta.  This will be the first time my kids have came to a race that  last longer then 2 hours.  My question is this, will this be a nightmare for us, or will there be things for them to do?

Best of luck to everyone, By bib # is 907. I start at 8

2011-09-21 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Bid #317, Heat 4 @ 744a

Name is Nick Gregory

2011-09-21 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

My husband and I are heading out in the morning!!  I can't believe it is time.  We will drive most of the way tomorrow, and finish up the last 3 hours or so on Friday morning.  So we will be there about noon on Friday!!  When is everyone else getting to town?

I assume there will be people swimming in the river on Friday?  I was planning on getting in a short test swim.

See you all there!

Karen

2011-09-21 9:38 PM

Extreme Veteran

will be there mid-afternoon on Friday. My kids came to Muncie with my wife, there was stuff to do but make sure your wife has a backup plan, and a back up  back up plan..

I hear you on the cold as well, fighting it right now.. hope to be on the downside of it come Sunday.

2011-09-21 10:34 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: Info!
Hi All, 

Looking back over the last couple of pages I see a few questions that were asked that no one answered, so I thought I would attempt some answers to alleviate any last minute jitters.

Q)  When to put on chamois butter and body glide?
A)  Put chamois butter on before the swim, most products will stay put enough to provide some level of protection.  You can reapply at T1 if you are discrete. Apply Body Glide on your feet for the bike and run at T2, you'll do a lot of barefoot standing around before you hit the water so no need to apply before the swim, it'll just wear off.

Q)  How to wear bib number on the bike and run?
A)  A race belt is the way to go.  Get one before you come to town, last year they did not sell these at the expo, and I’m not sure if the LBS’s will have them.

Q)  Toss water bottles at bike aid station?
A)  On race morning pre-stock your bike with at least 2 water bottles.  One of them should be an old throw-away bottle that you can toss at the first bottle exchange.  They’ll give you a water or Perform bottle with a sports top, which you can exchange again at the second exchange station. 

Q)  Kids staying entertained during the race while spectating? 
A)  Not a lot for kids to do since it is Sunday, if they are there all day.  If they are there for the swim start they won’t see you again for at least 3-4 hours.  The public library is 3 blocks from the Finish Line area, but they won’t open until 2 on Sunday.  But once you are on the run they can see you 7 or 8 times by walking 3 blocks to access different points on the run course.  And they can always have fun getting soaked handing out water at the aid stations and high-fiving the runners. 

Q)  Swimming in the river on Friday? 
A)  There will definitely be people doing test swims.   Mostly near the swim exit at the transition area.  The docks at the start will probably not be open for swimmers on Friday, but there is a boat ramp under the downstream bridge that allows easy access for a test swim.  Or you can scamper down the rocks above the railroad bridge but it is very treacherous footing so be careful if you choose this option.  Not recommended to swim the full course unless you have a ride back upstream or want to walk a mile back in bare feet.  If you do a test swim be mindful of the current. 

Bonus information!

• Bike Aid Station #1:  Near Mile 18 on SRS-1 in front of the SRS Admin buildings, after the first long hill
  • Bike Aid Station #2:  Near Mile 38 on Horse Creek Road
  • Bike Aid Station #3:  Near Mile 47 on Pine Log Road at Atomic Road (Hwy 125)

And here’s more bonus information!

• Run Aid Station #1:  Near Mile 1 and Mile 7.9 at Heritage Academy at 333 Greene Street
  • Run Aid Station #2:  Near Mile 2.4 and Mile 9.3 at Frog Hollow Tavern at 1282 Broad Street
  • Run Aid Station #3:  Near Mile 4.0 and Mile 10.9 at Fire Station 1 at Broad and Sibley streets, where you U-turn to go back up Broad
  • Run Aid Station #4:  Near Mile 5.1 and Mile 12.0 at ESi World Headquarters at 823 Broad right by the finish area at the Augusta Common.
  • Run Aid Station #5:  Near Mile 5.6 and Mile 12.4 behind Mellow Mushroom at 12th and Jones
  • Run Aid Station #6:  Near Mile 6.1 near the Augusta Common at 836 Reynolds
  • Run Aid Station #7:  Near Mile 7.1 by Fire Station 1 at Reynolds and Sibley

Hope this helps.  I'm local and have done this race the past 2 years so let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns, I'll do what I can to help.

2011-09-22 6:49 AM

Safe travels to everyone!  I did my last river swim last night and it was awesome seeing the transition area getting ready to go.  All of the racks are up and the big Ironman trailers are down at the boathouse! 

I highly recommend getting in a swim before Sunday.  There is a lot of debris in the river...not trash, but rather weeds and such.  It can throw you off a bit when it gets caught on your goggles or arm.  I think you will all love the swim!

2011-09-22 7:09 AM

User image

Expert

Leaving today after work and driving about 6 hours up to Jacksonville so I'll be there around noon on Friday.  After hotel check in I plan on going for a swim.  Not going to race check in until later in the day - let the opening rush pass.

Since I really don't need to buy anything there is no reason to get there early.  If I want a shirt or something I will show up early as sizes are limited.

enjoy,

Duane

2011-09-22 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3695954

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Info!
Cantucan - any thoughts on parking an RV at th 5th and Reynolds street dirt lot overnight Saturday night?  I know I saw a few there last year, and we are bringing ours this year.  We have called the local police and Ironman and no one can give us a definitive answer, so maybe a local can help? What do you think?
2011-09-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3695954

User image

Expert
Alabama
Cantucan - 2011-09-21 10:34 PM Hi All, 

Q)  Toss water bottles at bike aid station?
A)  On race morning pre-stock your bike with at least 2 water bottles.  One of them should be an old throw-away bottle that you can toss at the first bottle exchange.  They’ll give you a water or Perform bottle with a sports top, which you can exchange again at the second exchange station. 

Thank you for the info, all good!!!

As this is my first HIM, do you have to throw away a bottle to get a bottle?  I was planning on an aero bottle (so not tossing that) and a downtube bottle (with sports drink).  I was planning to throw the downtube bottle and replace with the bottle from the aid station (1 for 1 sports drink).  I can't throw my aero bottle, but will need water to refill.  How does this work?  So, each aid station, I would need a water and sports drink bottle (Can you get both done in one aid station?)

Or, am I better off just having two bottles (One downtube and one under), no aero bottle.  

Edited by pilotzs 2011-09-22 4:56 PM
2011-09-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3696330

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA

jennitris - 2011-09-22 10:53 AM Cantucan - any thoughts on parking an RV at th 5th and Reynolds street dirt lot overnight Saturday night?  I know I saw a few there last year, and we are bringing ours this year.  We have called the local police and Ironman and no one can give us a definitive answer, so maybe a local can help? What do you think?

I'm not having any better luck trying to find out, but I'll keep trying.  I do know that is city-owned land, and under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office.  I'm trying to find out their policy, or if IM is hiring off-duty cops to guard the area duing the event.  So far no luck, but I'll keep trying.

2011-09-22 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3697010

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
pilotzs - 2011-09-22 5:54 PM

Thank you for the info, all good!!!

As this is my first HIM, do you have to throw away a bottle to get a bottle?  I was planning on an aero bottle (so not tossing that) and a downtube bottle (with sports drink).  I was planning to throw the downtube bottle and replace with the bottle from the aid station (1 for 1 sports drink).  I can't throw my aero bottle, but will need water to refill.  How does this work?  So, each aid station, I would need a water and sports drink bottle (Can you get both done in one aid station?)

Or, am I better off just having two bottles (One downtube and one under), no aero bottle.  

When I did this in past years I did exactly as you describe: Toss a bottle to free up rackspace, grab a Perform bottle, rack it, then grab a water bottle and refill the aero on the move.  The volunteers will hold out bottles which you can grab on the move or you can stop and grab them. Be very careful near the bottle exchanges, lots of slow motion crashes happen here, be leary of bikers swerving as they fumble with bottles, and make sure you don't get in the way of faster bikers who may be bypassing the aid station.   Just before the aid station they will have a corral that you toss your old bottle in. The volunteers will be yelling out what they are holding, make eye contact and communicate with them so they know you are coming in for the grab.  They make every effort to complete successful handoffs. If you decide to stop, make sure you don't have someone on your wheel, and get off the pavement.  They will have portolets at the aid stations. 

Edited by Cantucan 2011-09-22 5:25 PM
2011-09-22 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: 73.5

Water was at 73.5 around noon today, well below the 76.1 wetsuit cutoff limit!

Edited by Cantucan 2011-09-22 5:44 PM
2011-09-22 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Packed, Pumped, Ready.  Rolling in the morning!  Bib 1923.  Lets have fun!
2011-09-22 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Cantucan -

Thanks so much for all the info!  It is making me less nervous to feel like I actually know what is going on!!

Karen

2011-09-22 8:30 PM

User image

Regular

I'm here! We drove down from the Washington DC area today, and are safely tucked into our hotel.  I took down four bikes for my triathlon team. I was cracking up because the value of the bikes on the back of my car was worth way more then my car.  Gotta love an expensive sport!

I'm here with my team "OnPoint Fitness". If you see any of us during the race, say hello.  For two of us it is a first 70.3 and for three of us, just our second.  I'm the tall brawny blonde in the green and blue OnPoint gear.  Wave 23 (booo!), bib 2992.

This is my second HIM, and I'm hoping for a stronger finish this time around, goal is under 7 hours.

I've been enjoying reading all the sharing of support and information on this thread--great group of people!

Heather

2011-09-22 11:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
weather keeps changing on us. Will be interesting to see what Sunday brings.
2011-09-23 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

Sitting in the Portland airport heading that way today!  I'm flying with my bike...so as of now, having it arrive in one piece uncracked is my biggest concern.

I'm in Wave 22, and plan to finish in around 7 hours, so it might get a bit lonely out there towards the end.  I'll be wearing white/black IMCdA shorts, black IM tri top, white visor, and pink Newtons.  Say hello if you're out on the course late too!

Wow - water temp is almost 74 degrees?!?  That's about 20 degrees warmer than the Idaho swim in June.  Can't wait!

2011-09-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3697031

User image

Regular
Cantucan - 2011-09-22 6:15 PM

jennitris - 2011-09-22 10:53 AM Cantucan - any thoughts on parking an RV at th 5th and Reynolds street dirt lot overnight Saturday night?  I know I saw a few there last year, and we are bringing ours this year.  We have called the local police and Ironman and no one can give us a definitive answer, so maybe a local can help? What do you think?

I'm not having any better luck trying to find out, but I'll keep trying.  I do know that is city-owned land, and under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office.  I'm trying to find out their policy, or if IM is hiring off-duty cops to guard the area duing the event.  So far no luck, but I'll keep trying.

Thanks for continuing to try.  The information you have is about the same we have.  We are planning on giving it a go - but holding on to our very cheap hotel reservation just in case this doesn't work.  Thanks!

2011-09-23 2:16 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Jealous of everyone that has already made their way to Augusta.
We are only just getting packed up and probably won't get out of the ATL until around 7pm.

So much for a relaxing Saturday...

Safe travels to all!

2011-09-23 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Checked in host hotel, registered, and now relaxing!  Is everybody excited, for the first time maybe we have decent weather.....maybe.

2011-09-23 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
Got my packet picked up. Excited but have a few questions. Wha5 goes in the morning clothes bag? Where do I drop it off/pick it back up? Where to park near transition on Saturday for bike checkin? Parking plan for Sunday? I'm hear by myself so I don't have the luxury of being dropped off.
2011-09-23 4:45 PM

User image

Regular

So I'm confused about race day transportation.  I'm fine with taking the shuttle down to transition, to the swim start and even back to transition to get my stuff.  But are they expecting us all to have people pick us up at the finish line later on?  How are we supposed to get all our bikes back to our hotels if we aren't supposed to park by the finish line? Any advice? The folks working here didn't seem to have any advice.

Also, I'm surprised that spectators aren't allowed on the shuttle buses. At Austin IM70.3 last year they let spectators on the buses. Is anyone else dealing with how to get their family around?

Thank you!!!

Heather (who has discovered the perils of staying in the race hotel already and gone back to the expo more times then my wallet wants to admit).

2011-09-23 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3698324

User image

Regular

dhwebb - 2011-09-23 5:22 PM Got my packet picked up. Excited but have a few questions. Wha5 goes in the morning clothes bag? Where do I drop it off/pick it back up? Where to park near transition on Saturday for bike checkin? Parking plan for Sunday? I'm hear by myself so I don't have the luxury of being dropped off.

The morning clothes bag could hold warmer top layers that you may want to keep on while you wait for your swim wave.  Usually there is a drop off place by the start.  The athlete guide says this bag can be retrieved at the finish line.  I'm going to hope there are volunteers signaling where to park on Saturday for bike drop off. For Sunday, well I'm still trying to figure that out myself...

2011-09-23 4:54 PM

User image

Expert

Checked in, registered, and went for a swim.  A little chilly when you first get in but wow, what a great swim this is going to be!  Of course I did have to pick weedy stuff out of my goggles

enjoy,

Duane

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8