J&A Productions
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 07m 15s
Overall Rank = 175/543
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/44
Pre-race routine:

This was my first triathlon... I woke up at about 4 AM, ate a light breakfast, packed up my gear, loaded my bike, and headed to Uvas Reservoir. Arrived at race site at about 5:30, found a good spot in transition area. Set up my gear, wandered around and got familiar with the entry/exit areas.
Event warmup:

I stretched and did a little jogging. I wanted to do a short bike warmup, but was concerned that I lose my spot on the bike rack. About 20 minutes before the start, I put on my wetsuit and got in the water; swam a couple hundred yards to warm up.
Swim
  • 30m 53s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is my weak link. I didn't want to get pummeled at the start, so I positioned myself at the rear right of the pack. There was still some jostling and I felt a little uncomfortable for the first 200 yards or so. I finally got into a groove by the first turn and cruised through the middle part of the course without much contact with anybody -- probably because I was navigating too far to the right. I noticed the weather changed suddenly near the last turn -- pouring rain! I was surprised I had a kick left in me during the last stretch. I kept paddling until I could feel my hands touch the concrete boat ramp and passed a couple of other competitors.
What would you do differently?:

I was a little too conservative. Next time I won't be so concerned about playing bumper cars at the start -- no big deal. I also need to do a better job of spotting the buoys while navigating. I found myself drifting far to the right and swam a lot further than I needed to. I kept wondering why I didn't see many other swimmers around me! Next time, I'll follow the bubbles and see if I can draft off some other swimmers...
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I felt good coming out of the water and started to sprint to my transition area. It was raining at first, but when it turned into hail, I slowed down and sort of ice-skated the rest of the way. ;-) No problem getting out of my wetsuit. Put on helmet/sunglasses, and ran out of the transition area. My shoes were already clipped on my pedals, and I had planned to do a flying mount. But the road surface was slippery, so I decided to just stop and do a conversative mount. No problem slipping into my shoes while on my bike (the hail helped).

Pack some ice skates next time?
Bike
  • 52m 28s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

When I hopped on my bike, it felt like I was riding directly into a freezer -- brrrrr! My feet and legs immediately went numb. I just tried to stay focused on pedal cadence and shifting. I defrosted a bit on the uphills, and shivered on the downhills. The road was slick, especially in the turns, so I lost some time there, but it was probably best to be conservative. I'd ridden this course a couple of times during training in about 52 minutes, and was I was hoping I'd turn in a little quicker time (~50 minutes) for the race. But with the wet conditions and cold, I guess it's no surprise that I ended up with another 52-minute split. I actually looked forward to (and enjoyed) the quick steep climb at Mile 11 -- great body heat generator!

With the cold conditions, I probably should have put on some dry clothing during T1. I could have been more aggressive during the first 5 miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Oh man, this was a strange transition! I was in my bare feet for the bike dismount, standing on my shoes clipped to the pedals. When I hopped off my bike, I could not feel my feet hit the ground -- they were totally numb! I sort of ran/stumbled to my transition area. I had planned to put on socks/running shoes while standing up, but my feet were so numb that I couldn't balance myself. I finally just planted my butt on the the ground and tugged my soaked socks onto my feet and somehow slipped on my shoes.. My fingers were so cold, it took me several tries to tighten my laces.

I should have put my shoes and socks in a waterproof bag. They got completely soaked from the rain downpour and hail. I actually brought a couple of bags, but I didn't bother using them because I didn't think it was going to rain. Stupid me...
Run
  • 40m 32s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, I was happy with my run. I could not feel my feet for the first 2 miles -- they were still completely numb from the bike ride. The sun came out as I approaching the uphill just before the turnaround, and I finally felt some blood flowing! Despite the numbness, I still managed to stay near my 8-min-mile goal pace.

I should have tried to pick up my pace at the end. I guess I was just happy to reach the finish without any signs of frostbite. A guy in my age group division passed me with 200 yards to go -- argh! Next time, I'll put the hammer down for the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around the Expo area for a while, ate a bagel, grabbed a beer, sat in the sun, listened to music. I wouldn't exactly call it a warm down. It felt like it was the end of a ski day at Lake Tahoe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmmm... the weather, maybe?

Event comments:

I actually had great time for my first triathlon (despite the cold, and rain, and hail, and blah, blah, blah)...! Overall, it was a total blast. I'm hooked and ready to go at again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:53 | 1320 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/44
Overall: 0/543
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Counter-clockwise loop around a foot-shaped peninsula. Standing start. Exited at a boat ramp. Well-marked course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:28 | 16 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/44
Wind: Little
Course: Fun course to ride -- lots of variety. Mostly rolling hills. There are several sharp right turns that are a bit tricky to maneuver, expecially after a high-speed descent. Race organizers did a great job of keeping the intersections clear and safe. "The Wall" -- a short ascent at Mile 11 -- was a nice challenge. Perfect distance.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:40:32 | 05 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/44
Course: Out-and-back course. Mostly flat. There's a gentle uphill just before the turn-around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-19 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon

2012-05-18 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3508747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon
Pumpin' myself up by reading your race report!! great race! You're a fast in transitions! Looks like a nice day for us on Sunday. I rode the course on Tuesday5/15 and I'm excited although nervous about this .75 ow swim (biting my nuckles!!!). Hope to meet you out there!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed