General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion
OptionResults
Yes158 Votes - [58.52%]
No112 Votes - [41.48%]

2011-05-20 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion

I am sure you have all seen the latest accusation regarding Lance Armstrong and EPO use.

I realize he has not tested positive, but this is not a court room.

So in your opinion do you think Lance Armstrong has taken EPO, steroids or other performance enhancing drugs?

my vote: Sadly I have to say yes, because I do like him and his story

2011-05-20 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3510357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Subject: RE: Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion

Doesn't matter to me...

1.  He either doped and was the fastest of all the dopers (as they all dope).

2.  He didn't dope and he's the fastest of all the dopers... see above...

Other than that, I really don't care.  He says he didn't dope and I'll take him at his word until he test positive... but either way won't change my life one bit nor will it take away from what he did...

2011-05-20 2:33 PM

User image

He didn't test positive. He has not changed his story. With all the BS they threw at him during his reign I honestly believe if he had been doing anything they would have found it.

Other than that I really don't give a damn. He did something I doubt anyone's going to repeat any time soon and is one of the greatest in the sport.

Why in the hell does it matter now, in any case? Will it change the record books? Will it change what he did? Will it change what has happened other than that? Not one bit.
2011-05-20 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I go with the Innocent until proven guilty. He says he did not do it and they have no proof he did anything so I believe him. If they find proof it means he lied and will loose a lot of credibility with a lot of people and probably some sponsorships.

I would rather keep him as an idol of sorts than believe he did something no one else was capable of doing simply because he was on PED.

Edited by bel83 2011-05-20 2:36 PM
2011-05-20 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3510362

User image

Elite
Boise
Davisjl - 2011-05-20 1:28 PM

Doesn't matter to me...

Other than that, I really don't care.  He says he didn't dope and I'll take him at his word until he test positive... but either way won't change my life one bit nor will it take away from what he did...

This. I think everyone was doping and while he is obviously an incredible physical speciman, I don't think he could beat everyone without doping as well.

2011-05-20 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

A cyclist I have always admired was Jaques Anquetil, the first cyclist to win 5 Tours de France.

A journalist accused Anquetil of doping. He openly admitted it. A famous quote of his was, "A cyclist cannot race on mineral water alone".

Late in his career Anquetil was faced with the first of the drug tests in cycling. He refused the test, saying it was "not professional". He was subsequently sanctioned.

Anquetil, Merckx and even Hinault made few pretensions about doping. -Didn't say they did... Didn't say they didn't. They simply didn't say. That was the norm of the era, the paradigm.

This is a new area, and the previous decades have been a transitional time. Now, doping is popularly construed as wrong. Prior to the very recent era, it was technically illegal, but treated like marijuana use or paying sales tax on mail order goods on your state tax return at the end of the year. People acknowledge violating those rules is illegal, but conduct themselves differently on a common basis through some process of rationalization. It might be wrong, technically, but they may rationalize it isn't hurting anyone so...

Things have changed in cycling. The money is good now, the stakes are high. People are paying attention. Armstrong and his inspiring recovery from cancer is a huge part of that. The questions surrounding his conduct are another.

I view it as nothing new. I do think we are in the midst of a difficult transition from a sport where performance enhancing drugs were openly sanctioned, and privately rationalized to a new era where the sanctions are more literal- the rules are becoming the rules. Armstrong has one foot on either side of the line that seperate those two eras.

2011-05-20 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

He's one of the most tested athletes in sports.   Either:

1.  He doped, and got lucky they never tested at the right time. (although I understand they test the yellow jersey wearer daily in TdF)

2. He doped with something nobody's ever heard of and they don't test for.

3. He didn't dope. 

1 is pretty unlikely.   2 and 3 are probably equally likely.  He was a hoss long before he became famous or had the incentive to dope.   I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he confesses or they get something that has a shred of believability.

2011-05-20 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

I could care less, ket em' dope and see who's the fastest of the dopers as previously posted.

It is interesting though to compare Lance's case with Barry Bond's case.  Few people like Bonds, and most believe he doped.

Lot's of people like Lance and his story, I think the popular opinion is that he didn't dope..

I've also thought about all of the Cancer drugs he must have been on at some point, could any of those have acted like a steroid?  Probably a dumb question...

Here's my ramble.  Just how did he beat the admitted dopers year after year?  Is it because he really only trained for the Tour in July ??

2011-05-20 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I know it is difficult to believe that he didn't, especially when you consider the number of people that he has owned that have doped, admitted it, and/or tested positive. 

However, the engineer (and their by scientific nature) in me says prove it.  He has been tested literally hundreds of times, by various different regulatory bodies and has never once tested positive.  As someone else said he is either the smartest doper in all history, the luckiest guy in the world, or (gasp) not a doper.

2011-05-20 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
One of the tours (2003 I think) the entire top 10 save Armstrong has been busted for using peds.   I'm not saying its rights, but during the 7 years he won I do believe he was the best among his peers, which were also doing the same thing he was.
2011-05-20 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I have no idea, but at 15 years old he was keeping up with Mike Scott and the best of the best in triathlon.  I don't think he was doping then. That, of course, means nothing now, but he's been a beast on the bike from a very early age.  

2011-05-20 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Technically he has taken EPO, because that was part of his cancer treatment.

As far as doping to improve his cycling performance, I'll say he's innocent until proven guilty.   

There's been no smoking gun so far, no hard physical evidence.  Only the accusations of some very morally and ethically questionable characters.

The 500 or so drug tests that he's passed pose a pretty compelling statistical argument.

Another thing has always been on my mind, especially after watching my father died from cancer:  Having been so close to death at one point, why would Lance screw around with his health by doping?  And wouldn't his doctors know if he did?

Mark 
2011-05-20 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3510362

User image

Veteran
Keller, TX
Davisjl - 2011-05-20 2:28 PM

Doesn't matter to me...

Well put!  Could not have said it better.  At this point, who cares?   Everyone was doing it and obviously Lance would have been caught by now if there was any real evidence regardless of if he did or not?

2011-05-20 3:30 PM

User image

New user
I dont' think he doped. Would you gamble your brand, your name, and all future marketing deals on a race.  No way he risked all of that, he's too smart.  Now, it doesn't mean his team didn't dope, because the winners of the tours never lead the whole way, they rotate position for different days. So, if he was being pulled by a dopper up a hard section, he got some benefit, however so does all the other teams.  Bike Teams are designed around 1-2 guys.  Also, there is no way there was a 10 year period where he was tested positive and kept secret.  The French hated Lance...
2011-05-20 3:51 PM

User image

WV

I'm going a different route than most of you.  I'm not certain if he did or didn't, but I actually do care.  Here's a guy whose legacy extends far beyond what he did on the bike.  He's helped raise millions for cancer research, based in large part on his own come-back story.  That story is far less appealing, in my mind, if he benifitted from PEDs and subsequently lied about it.  I'm quite a Lance fan, so I certainly hope that's not the case.

Just my opinion.

2011-05-20 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I’m in the innocent until proven guilty camp as well. He’s been tested a zillion times, in an out of competition, and he’s never tested positive once. That’s a pretty solid body of evidence, especially compared to the mostly circumstantial evidence against him.

Did anyone see Tyler Hamilton’s 60 minutes interview? I’ve never seen him interviewed before, so I can’t say what he normally looks like, but between the eighty-billion eye-blinks and the reluctance to make eye contact, he didn’t look especially credible to me.

2011-05-20 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove

I was actually shocked by all of the posts here.  They were the opposite of what I expected.

For me, I would "bet the farm" that he used PED's. 

Also, I have no respect for the man for several personal reasons. 

I try to be positive but there is not about LA that I can be positive about.  

2011-05-20 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
I would like to think he didn't, and my audit background says with all the testing, he would have/should have been caught if he was but there is always room for error. Call me naive, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I have no doubt that while he conquered cancer that the treatments may have enhanced his natural abilities.
2011-05-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3510392

New user
moondawg14 - 2011-05-20 12:44 PM

He's one of the most tested athletes in sports.   Either:

1.  He doped, and got lucky they never tested at the right time. (although I understand they test the yellow jersey wearer daily in TdF)

2. He doped with something nobody's ever heard of and they don't test for.

3. He didn't dope. 

1 is pretty unlikely.   2 and 3 are probably equally likely.  He was a hoss long before he became famous or had the incentive to dope.   I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he confesses or they get something that has a shred of believability.

I think the accusation is that he doped using EPO during a time when there wasn't a test for EPO and they instead tested your hematocrit(HCT) to make sure it was under a 50%. At the time people would use EPO and test their HCT to make sure it was just below 50%.
2011-05-20 4:34 PM

User image

Elite

I always defended him... now I don't really know. Here is what I know...

He won seven tours because he simply outworked his competitors year round. Period. Nobody trained like him, nor devoted him self to one single purpose like Lance did.

What makes any streak amazing is that there is some luck involved.... to put together a string like that year after year with no mishaps is quite amazing. Granted work creates a lot of luck.

For him not to test positive in his entire professional career, with all the hounds hot after him... I think is another amazing streak equal to any others out there in sports. I mean come on... not ONCE in all those years did he slip up or have a bad day or mental lapse..... crazy. I mean seriously... the volume of riders linked to peds, and he beat them all? Heck... he might deserve some sort of medal if he ever admits it.

The only bad thing about it is... the LIE. I mean when sports organizations look the other way, players look the other way... they all want to clean it up but don't, everyone knows what's going on..... we keep cheering as the records fall...Who cares? .... But when the guy looks square in the camera, square in the eye, and lies... well that's different. For some it's a felony.

2011-05-20 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! Why did I actually click on, AND READ, this thread?! They're always the exact same arguments. It's like Ground Hog Day--over and over and over again. I hearby vow to never click on another Lance doping thread--EVER! Come on, people, we can do this!! DO SWEAR!!

PS. You can post a snarky response, but I won't see it!

That is all.

2011-05-20 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
wow...very polarized, almost 50/50
2011-05-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3510542

User image

Elite
gshtrisport - 2011-05-20 3:20 PM

I was actually shocked by all of the posts here.  They were the opposite of what I expected.

For me, I would "bet the farm" that he used PED's. 

Also, I have no respect for the man for several personal reasons. 

I try to be positive but there is not about LA that I can be positive about.  

I'm sure he is no Saint. Most driven people are not. I don't respect a man that cheats on his wife... although lots do... I don't.

So say he used peds..... as an athlete you can't find any appreciation in what a human body can accomplish like what he made his accomplish??? And even though he is a jerk... you find nothing redeeming in his work and effort he puts into Cancer???

2011-05-20 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3510562

User image

Champion
the colony texas

yes.. without a doubt, I think he did.    too many people (riders/track athletes) have admitted to doping yet have passed just as many test's as he did.

too many ex team mates, and team workers claiming it was going on to believe he wasn't.

regarding the lastest team mate to claim Lance used.   I really doubt a person is going to say one thing for years, then go before a federal grand jury and change their story to a lie, with the threat of jail time for lying. 

My occupation is working with cancer patients, two of my immediate family are battling this disease, One is not going to make it. I think what he is doing now with his foundation is great, but I don't let that cloud my judgement.

2011-05-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3510572

User image

Champion
the colony texas

zed707 - 2011-05-20 4:41 PM AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! Why did I actually click on, AND READ, this thread?! They're always the exact same arguments. It's like Ground Hog Day--over and over and over again. I hearby vow to never click on another Lance doping thread--EVER! Come on, people, we can do this!! DO SWEAR!!

PS. You can post a snarky response, but I won't see it!

That is all.

snarky response test  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance Armstrong: Court of public opinion Rss Feed  

of 7