General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - First Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
First Tri - First Swim
OptionResults
Swam it all freestyle25 Votes - [47.17%]
Swam it most free - some other strokes11 Votes - [20.75%]
Swam it 1/2 and 1/2 (free/someother stroke)9 Votes - [16.98%]
No freestyle - but finished ok.1 Votes - [1.89%]
Just barely finished the swim - was lucky to float across finish.7 Votes - [13.21%]

2005-08-25 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: First Tri - First Swim
Ok....after my workout today, I'm frustrated. I just don't think I'll be ready to do the swim just in Freestyle with only two weeks to go until my first Tri. Not for lack of trying - if you look at my logs, you'll see I spent lots of time in the pool. I'm having endurance issues and I think my stroke is pretty good - at least for the first 50 yards.... Anyway,...make me feel better - or just lay it on straight - For your FIRST tri - were you able to freestyle the whole thing? Am I going to embarrass myself when I resort to backstroke or breast stroke? By the way, my first tri is a pool swim.

Carrie

2005-08-25 6:27 PM
in reply to: #234070

User image

New user
Alberta(think texas with snow.)
Subject: RE: First Tri - First Swim
Backstroke for me! The first one(and many more after that) are about finishing, so just get yourself across that magical line!
2005-08-25 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I swam it all freestyle.  I'm sooo not a strong/fast swimmer, but I just did it.  I think part of the reason I'm so slow is because my pacing is off.  I go slow, so I can go forever.

I think you'll be surprised in your ability to keep swimming, when the crunch is on.  And even if you do have to switch to a different stroke, who cares?

Don't worry about "embarrassing" yourself.  Who would you be embarressed in front of there?  The only people who matter will be in the pool and too busy swimming to care.  The people who can actually see what stroke you're swimming are those people standing on the sides... and they don't count because they're not in the pool swimming themselves. 

2005-08-25 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Freestyle, breast stroke and a little side stroke for the first, second and third tri. I tried to do mostly freestlye but I'm sure it was about half. On my fourth tri I added backstroke (had major problems on that swim). Fifth tri and on freestyle only. I used breast stroke a lot early on mostly because I wasn't comfortable siting. The first tri is about getting experience so swim how ever you need to and enjoy the event!
2005-08-25 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Have you tried working with a swim coach? I knew a couple of college kids on their respective swim teams who helped me out. They were glad to give me some tips. It's hard to know where to improve unless someone points out weaknesses. Also, I checked out 3 or 4 books from the library on swimming. You're spending some good time in the pool...hang in there; I bet it's just a matter of time until improvement comes!

Shawn
2005-08-25 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Don't sweat it...the second tri I did there were guys who were doing the dog paddle.  Most likely there will be people who are better swimmers and people who are worse swimmers than you.  No big deal not to free style the whole way

2005-08-26 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

I swam freestyle...but I find that in open water, it's so much easier becasue you're not contending with the stupid wall. At my first tri, there was an under-21 wave that went first. One swimmer did the whole distance breast stroke...he was slow, but he had good form and he got through it.

Since you're swimming in the pool, just swim. If you don't have to count your own laps try not to psyche yourself out with how many you need to do. Just do what you can to do the distance. Float on your back and kick if that's what it takes!

2005-08-26 8:11 AM

Regular
Maine
I ended up swimming a lot more freestyle than i thought I would. I also did the sidestroke quite a bit (and was just as fast if not faster doing that!) but couldn't do the breaststroke effectively because of the oncoming waves. There were a lot of people doing the breast stroke and backstroke in my first tri. Don't worry - do what you can to get through it. Good luck!
2005-08-26 8:18 AM

Pro
Andover
I wasn't sure how I'd do but I was able to swim it freestyle. I started at the back and just took it easy--heck, it was my first Tri, what did I have to prove? Once I got into a groove I couldn't believe how fast it was over. And, as mentioned above, I found/find it easier to swim in OW than in the pool because once I get in a rhythm, I don't have to stop and turn.

Don't worry about it... Just go and do what you can. Take it easy and think of something other than "can I make it" while you are swimming and it will be over before you know it!
2005-08-26 8:19 AM

User image

My first tri was a 300 yard pool swim. Every 20 seconds someone took off. This made for a lot of time to watch people as the took off. There was one lady who did not do one freestyle stroke. She side stroked most of it, with a doggy paddle, and breast stroke mixed in here and there. Not only that but she held onto the sides at the end of every lane for a few seconds. Needless to say she got passed many times.

My point is that I don't think she embarassed herself, quite the opposite. She did it. She finished. I give her a lot of credit in doing so. Same with you.
2005-08-26 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Manchester, Connecticut
I swam freestyle and breaststroke.  My problem wasn't stamina, I would take about 4 stroke freestyle and I would be turned about 45 degrees off course.  It got extremely fustrating, so I traded off freestyle with breaststroke so I could see where I was going.  The funny thing was when I got out a guy told me he followed me the whole way.

2005-08-26 8:21 AM

User image

New user
I think most responses are about exactly what I plan to do for my first tri. It consists of a 1/3mile open water swim. I'm a strong biker and decent runner, but swimming is not something I've done for a long time. I've been swimming in a lake every other day for the last couple weeks and have improved quite a bit. I expect I'll be able to do 1/2 freestyle and the rest breast and side stroke. All really depends on if it is windy/wavy in the water and how crowded it is. Also if I get smacked around I'll likely end up on my back or doing side stroke more.
2005-08-26 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
My first tri was a pool swim also. While I was able to complete it all freestyle, I'll admit that I had a ton of respect for the gentleman I saw who *walked* the entire pool swim. I don't know why he did it -- maybe he choked on a bunch of water, perhaps he had an injured shoulder -- but it was inspiring to see someone slog through each and every lap and see that level of determination.

Do the best you can and don't be embarrassed, regardless of what happens. The only person you have to face in the mirror is yourself.
2005-08-26 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Carrie, I was in similar situation. Out of the blue 2 yrs ago I decided I wanted to do triathlons. I had zero background in any of the sports, I was never an athlete. I couldn't swim one length of a pool. My first triathlon was the Reebok Womens in the summer of 2003 and I knew I was nervous. Last minute as I waited in my wave....I threw away the nerves, said "F*CK IT" and I swam the ENTIRE swim course in backstroke! I had a blast. I was looking up to the sky and the trees and loving life. I wasn't even the last one. I was consistent and kept going...there were others that were struggling, stressing, stopping, etc. I was so happy and relaxed, smiling and enjoying the view!! At one point I remember saying to myself (I often talk to myself while training), "You know Nikki, this is a race, maybe you ought to pick up the pace alittle". So i started a faster backstroke on the homestretch!

Good luck and not to worry about the swim at all. There will be plenty of people doing side stroke, backstroke, doggy paddle and mixing it up with freestyle as well. RELAX and ENJOY!

2005-08-26 9:14 AM

I posted a similar poll just before my first tri... Was very worried about the swim.

I ended up doing about half and half - freestyle with backstroke and breastroke mixed in. Wise reassurances from comments on BT helped me to keep my head in the right space - that is: trust your training, stay calm and just do your best, have fun.

While I was poking along I was aware of "real" swimmers/triathletes on the sidelines of the pool and felt a little stupid for how lame my swimming was. But it was my first, and I just reminded myself that this was my starting point - eveyone has to start somewhere. If anyone on the sidelines wasted energy on being critical of me that was their problem. My attitude needed to and did stay positive.

I was slower than most of the other swimmers, but I beat my own pb by 3 minutes. That made me so happy!

Do what you need to do to stay relaxed and focused. Breathe, laugh, celebrate just the fact that you are going for it. Your first tri dosen't need to be about shoulds and oughts but about, hey! I'm here! I'm doing this! This rocks!

~Frances

2005-08-26 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
If I remember right, your first tri is on 9/11 in Ft. Collins right? The one in July was my first and I was pretty intimidated by the swim; wondering if people really did do the breast stroke, side stroke, backstroke, etc. or if that was all just nice feel good stuff we say here. With the swim time I submitted, I was placed right smack dab in the middle of the times. Standing in line, waiting to get in the water, there were still about 25-30 people before my turn. I looked up to see how others were doing, hoping someone would make me feel better and at the far end, with 3 laps to go there was a guy not backstroking, side-stroking, or breast-stroking, but walk stroking. Yep, he was walking through it, one foot in front of the other. By my count, this guy went off in the top 100 swimmers, so it gave me a lot of comfort just to see that and made me less terrified to breast stroke or sidestroke if I had to, which I did for about 75 yds.

2005-08-26 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
I participated in my first race of any kind ever in July. I did an OLY relay with two friends. To make a long story short, I trained for only two months for a 1500 meter swim. Basically, couch potato to mile swimmer. I finished but, man oh man did it suck! I went out WAAAAY too hard and had a leg cramp by about 300m. I stopped a few times but about halfway through I had a little chat with myself which invloved a lot of insults and cursing and pushed through. I ended up doing the breast stroke most of the way but, again, I finished. Fortunately, I know that I beat at least one person. He was in a wave a few minutes ahead of me and I was out of the water about a minute before him. On the flip side, I couldn't even begin to count the number of people that passed me. The bottom line is that you WILL finish no matter what. You'll see the strong swimmers looking amazingly smooth in their freestyle and you'll also see a few who are only doing sidestroke and don't even put their faces in the water. Ignore them all, race your own race, and have a blast!
2005-08-26 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Savannah,
Wow, reading all of these has calmed me down a lot...thanks for posting the thread bunny.
2005-08-26 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Do not sweat it.... In my opinion, swimming is the toughts of all 3 disciplines> I thought I was ok until race day. I was very nervous.
Couple tips:
Be there early, be familiar with the swiming course/ pool,
Warm up in the water before the race,
Start at the end of your wave to avoid people kicking and pushing you,
If you thing you cannot cover the whole distance, break the course in small distances: just think about getting to the next buoy/ lap, use a rest stroke (breaststroke, backstroke) for a minute or so, recover and keep up swiming.
If you need help, do not hesitate to ask the volunteers.
Calm down, trust your training, and take it easy.....
Good Luck!

Edited by clflgrl 2005-08-26 11:33 AM
2005-08-26 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
I was able to freestyle the whole way, but my first tri swim was only 300 yards. When I am in a pool, I use the turn-around push off as an opportunity to rest my arms as much as I can. I know it's only 9-11 strokes until I can rest again for a couple of seconds, and that helps.
As far as embarassing yourself, anyone who completes a triathlon should be extremely proud and never embarassed, no matter which stroke they use to complete it. During one triathlon, which invovled an open water swim, I just couldn't catch my breath, and so I moved onto my side and did the side-stroke the whole way. I noticed that I was maintaining my position with most of the others who were swimming freestyle along side of me.
As long as you don't give up, you'll be fine no matter which stroke you use.
2005-08-26 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
My first tri had a 750M open water swim. One of the best things I did was to get in the water before the race and swim around a bit -- took away a lot of the nerves.

I did the vast majority freestyle, but put a few breaststrokes in after every 50 or so strokes. It helped with navigation and broke the swim up into easily manageable parts. All in all it went surprisingly well -- around 14 minutes total.

2005-08-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #234928

User image

Veteran
Montreal
kenail - 2005-08-26 5:01 PM

My first tri had a 750M open water swim. One of the best things I did was to get in the water before the race and swim around a bit -- took away a lot of the nerves.

I did the vast majority freestyle, but put a few breaststrokes in after every 50 or so strokes. It helped with navigation and broke the swim up into easily manageable parts. All in all it went surprisingly well -- around 14 minutes total.

Was the same thing for me. I am a decent swimmer but had not yet completed 750m without stopping in training. I wasnt sure how well it would go. In retrospect, I think I could have done the whole things freestyle. My next one, I will aim to do 100% freestyle.
2005-08-26 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Thanks everyone. I do feel a lot better (for now) about the swim. I won't fret about whether or not I can do it all freestyle - and concentrate on the fact that I'm DOING it.

More pool work tomorrow...and I think I'll be more relaxed.

BT'ers are the best!

Carrie
2005-08-26 11:22 PM
in reply to: #235114

Utah
Try to swim the first 100 slowly. You will be tempted to rush with all the adrenaline you have flowing but don't do it. Keep a moderate pace for the next 200 and then push a bit at the finish. You will be amazed at how fresh you feel climbing out of the pool. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - First Swim Rss Feed