Without Limits Productions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 44s
Overall Rank = 88/129
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race, Without Limits gets notice there's no swimming in Union Res due to e.Coli levels 4x the safe limit. As a result, the run is 1st, in Longmont, followed by the swim in Grant Ranch, at mid-day. This made for some heady logistics before the race even started.
Even better, work had me up until 11pm, then called at 2am and had me up another hour+, so my sleep was something approaching 6 hours, in a couple of three hour segments. Good times.
Carpooled up and around with McGilmartin, who brought along the 3x shot coffee cup that kept me from literally and figuratively crashing on the side of the road, thanks Matt!
Event warmup:

Chatted with a guy named Bullet and his buddy, stretched a little, observed the large ratio of racers with their names on their singlets. It might be small, but this is a National Championship event, and people who aren't me were qualifying for Worlds in China later this year.
Run
  • 26m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

This run felt pretty good, although I felt like I was laboring to breathe quite a bit in the first mile. Lots of water, potholes and ruts to consider along the way.
What would you do differently?:

Get a proper nights sleep
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After the 9am run we drove from Union Reservoir to Grant Ranch for the clean water swim segment at 12:30. Safe to say this is the only T1 ever that will include a burrito lunch!

eat a little less, I suppose
Swim
  • 29m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m / 100 meters
Comments:

Worst. Swim. Ever.
Before my wave started, when we waded into the water I started to 'see' I had problem, but didn't realize the severity. My goggles started fogging worse than I have ever experienced in open water, and only got worse with time.
In the 1st 100 meters, I was sighting on the group to my left, and could barely see caps 5 feet away; By 250m, I was closer to shore than my wave. The goggles were literally opaque due to the fogging (almost want to call it icing), to the point where I had to pause to clear them as much as every 20-30 strokes - not an efficient way to swim. When I lifted my head straight up to look for buoys and caps, I literally couldn't see anything until I washed out the lenses, and had to repeat this silliness every 50 meters for the duration of the course.
On top of the equipment issue, the water was fairly choppy and got worse as the swim went on, especially on the last 250m segment, going against the wind.

Find an effective defogging product, or keep the lenses dry for the start.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Stayed for results and awards, and ate the post-race pizza Lance ordered in. Saw a few folks drinking cold beer, could not fathom anything cold at that point in the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

equipment fail and inadequate sleep.

Event comments:

Lance and W/O Limits did a fantastic job salvaging the weekend under extremely difficult circumstances.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:44 | 05 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 110/129
Performance: Good
mile1 8:45 mile2 8:30 mile3 8:40
Course: Dirt road, out and back. lots of water, potholes and ruts to consider along the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:29:59 | 1500 meters | 01m / 100meters
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 9/129
Performance: Bad
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Clockwise Diamond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/129
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-22 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: America's Cup Aquathlon

2011-05-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3512172

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: America's Cup Aquathlon
Sounds like it was the wrong weekend for holding this race.  Don't think I would have wanted to be swimming near you and MAtt after those burritos.    Nice job!
2011-05-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3512172

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: America's Cup Aquathlon
Forget about the goggle malfunction and remember that you put together a killer PR for that 5K- nicely done!  I dream of running that fact one day
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » America's Cup Aquathlon Rss Feed