Red Licorice Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 06m 15s
Overall Rank = /1200
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 450a, met a buddy, and on the road by 540a. Got to the site around 615a then had some breakfast at a local diner.
Event warmup:

Rode a mile from our car to the start line.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 15s
  • 47.93 miles
  • 15.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Did well on this ride and felt strong. Rode with my buddy at his pace. The route is nice and scenic but very hilly. The roads are also very rough as most of the route was chip seal.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, everything went as planned.
Post race
Warm down:

We parked near the Blanco river and instead of riding to the finish (only 1mi away) we just stopped at our car then went and jumped in a very cool and refreshing river. That was well worth it. I felt refreshed after that. We changed then drove up to the finish line and enjoyed the after party for a few hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rode at my friend's pace, which is slower than I would normally do. We avg'd 15.4 and 2 years ago I did this similar route in just under 17mph.

Event comments:

Good ride. I would recommend it to others for the scenery and hills. Not happy that most of the roads are now chip seal (they weren't 2yrs ago). I heard from some friends after the ride that the 80mi route was a lot smoother and had very little chip seal.

Plenty of aid stations and volunteers. The after party was good and bad at the same time. Great beer (the start/finish is at a brewery that sponsors the race) and party atmosphere. However, it gets hot by that time of day and there was very little shade or places to sit down. Everyone was trying to cram into one covered area. Also the food was very disappointing. This is a pricey ride at $75 and expected a lot more than one little sausage wrap and a bag of chips. 2 years ago they had some great bbq.

Last updated: 2011-03-31 12:00 AM
Biking
03:06:15 | 47.93 miles | 15.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very hill country road course.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right