Fins Wheels Feet Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 22s
Overall Rank = 5/225
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/46
Pre-race routine:

Usual breakfast of cereal with coffee. Sipped HEED and ate toast on the way to the race as I always do.
Event warmup:

None. No swim warmup was allowed, unfortunately. Didn't run or bike, either.
Swim
  • 03m 51s
  • 250 meters
  • 01m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I decided to wear my wetsuit despite the fact that the pool temps had warmed up to a respectable 72 degrees in the week before the race. I've never done a pool swim sprint tri with a wetsuit and given that I had just done a HIM the week before with the suit I felt that I could get the suit off quickly enough to not erase whatever gains I got from wearing it in the short pool swim. In the end I'm glad I did because I was very pleased with this time.

I passed probably 6-8 people in the pool and luckily didn't have to wait that much while doing so. My pool seed time was 4 min and I came in just under that, so a lot of people must have come in over their seed times.
What would you do differently?:

nothing - very pleased with this swim
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

I wore my garmin quick release kit wrist strap under the suit and the sleeve got caught pretty badly, which cost me probably 10 seconds. But other than that this transition went very quickly.

find a way to not get my sleeves caught on the quick release wrist strap
Bike
  • 34m 14s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 21.73 mile/hr
Comments:

After just a half-mile my friend Dave pulls up behind me and passes me. And from there on we managed to pass each other probably 6 times each throughout the leg. We were both having a great time - it felt like one of the many long weekend rides we've done in the past.

The residential streets were very wide, but the lanes were more constricted on Pleasant Valley Rd. I was with a group of bikes and we all just couldn't find a way to shake each other. I did try to keep 3 bike lengths behind the bikes in front of me and managed to do so most of the time. But I was worried that I might get a penalty in those situations where I was about to pass someone.

I pushed this as hard as I could and I was pleased with the 21.7 avg mph - my fastest to date in a race. I also like the fact that I seemed to be keeping up with or going faster than several dudes with far-above-my-pay-grade bikes. The engine counts :-)

Nothing - this was a good ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Got a calf cramp while getting my running shoes on. Luckily it stayed in check and didn't bother me later during the run.

Nothing - this went pretty smoothly.
Run
  • 20m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Having rode the course on Friday I figured I would try to stay as close to 7min/mile on the first uphill and then try to bring it down under that for the middle section and hammer it home at 6:30 or so on the downhill finish. I was pretty much able to do this. I was hoping for a 5k PR (20:53) but I just missed that. Still very happy that the cramps stayed away and I was able to execute my plan.

nothing - this went pretty well. Fastest 5k in a tri to date, by over a minute.
Post race
Warm down:

Just got some water and cheered in my friends Dave and Sarah. Hung out with them until the awards ceremony once it was clear that we had all placed. What a great surprise that we all did! The guy who was #1 in the M40-44 AG won the race overall, so I got the first place AG award. Woo-hoo!

I liked that they gave age-group placers travel coffee mugs rather than a useless medal. I actually needed one anyway!

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:51 | 250 meters | 01m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/46
Overall: 7/225
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex 3 fullsuit
Course: Pool snake swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:14 | 12.4 miles | 21.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/46
Overall: 16/225
Wind: None
Course: A couple of uphill segments with some long, slightly downhill segments in between. Fresh pavement - very smooth ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:59 | 03.11 miles | 06m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/46
Overall: 11/225
Course: Residential streets. Slight uphill segment to start with a couple of gentle rollers in the middle. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes