General Discussion Triathlon Talk » retaliation during a swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
retaliation during a swim?
OptionResults
Keep swimming and pretend nothing happened.
Stop and yell at him, creating a big scene.
Give him a nice kick to the head to remind him that you're there.
Swim until you lap him, and then up the ante by punching him in the ass.
Run away into another lane, now that he's gunning for you.
Keep swimming, believing it must have been an accident
Talk civilly to him to resolve the "issue"
Keep swimming, I have no time for arguments...
Wait for them on the beach, and then get yourself a DNF due to A&B.
Guess it's not my day...leave pool and go for a bike ride!
Boot to the head
Let it go while you're in the water and kick their ass on the bike and run!
don't let him rent space in your head!
knee to the groin and elbow to the face
It is a triathlon, not a boxing match! Let it go.

2005-08-25 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: retaliation during a swim?
Have any of you ever physically retaliated against someone during a swim? I've been reading these books on open-water swimming, and for some reason they all include pretty comprehensive sections on "tactics" to deal with swimmers that are hitting or kicking you. The tactics are brutal too, like giving someone the ol' elbow to the chest during the outsweep of your stroke...seems like you could put a lot of force into that. Is deliberate contact common in open-water races?

I was swimming today and I gave this guy a tap on his foot to signal that I was passing him and then went by. I was going quite a bit faster than he, so whatever. After some distance though, the guy suddenly karate chopped me in my hamstring. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, because he was going a lot slower than I was and I don't think it's possible for his stroke to hit that high without first running into the lower part of my leg. I guess he was getting me back for letting his slow ass know I was going around him. I had some choice words for him, but somehow that didn't make me feel better. How would YOU react?

2005-08-25 11:52 PM
in reply to: #234258

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: retaliation during a swim?

Perhaps he did it on purpose.  Perhaps it was an accident.  You won't know unless you talk to him and find out.  We are all human and tend to see things that happen to and around us through our own lense of our experience.  Maybe he's been through something similar where the person passing was rude and obnoxious.

Each pool has it's own rules about lane sharing and passing, etc.  Maybe he's mistaken on the rules governing slower swimmers in the faster lanes.  Or maybe the rules say you're not supposed to pass.  Or maybe it was an honest mistake on his part. 

In my experience in my swim class, where I have to swim with a number of different swimmers of different abilities, it's frustrating to share a lane with someone going significantly faster or slower than I am.  If there's someone fast coming up behind, I always feel like a rabbit that's being chased.  If I'm coming up on someone slower than me (if that is possible) I generally slow down so as not to rush them.  Only once or twice have I been passed, and I have to admit that it did ruffle my feathers -- I mean, I know I'm slow, but there's no need to point it out to me. 

Surprisingly, this semester I seem have been stuck in a lane with people who are just a touch slower than I am, at least on the drills we've been working on so far.  Instead of passing them, though (since there are 5 in a lane, it's impossible to pass even if I wanted to), I'm considering moving into the next lane over.  We've sort of self-sorted into lanes based on speed, and I may have progressed into a slightly faster lane (or the new people in my lane are a bit slower).

How did you get in a lane with someone so much slower than you that you needed to pass him?  It sounds like one of you should be in a different lane.

2005-08-26 1:17 AM
in reply to: #234280

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Well, we have three giant lanes: slow, intermediate, and fast. I am intermediate for most of my stuff, but often people who are too slow end up in that lane, even if the slow one is vacant. It has something to do with human nature I guess.

The thing is, you can't stay behind people if they aren't moving fast enough. It makes it impossible for someone behind you to pass at all, because they have to get around two people in 25 meters, so you just contribute to the problem if you don't go by. Plus, most people pause when they reach the wall, and you'll just end up with a pile-up if you have a train of people behind you.

2005-08-26 4:00 AM

User image

Master
Michigan
By nature I am a pretty layed back and chilled out individual. Non confrontational until I have just had too much. While swimming at the Y a few days ago I was in a lane by myself. Now there was only one lane open at the time. A guy asks to share a lane and no problem. Well one I ask him how the days going and he ignores me. So I say again hi and he snickers, hope your almost done. I said about twenty more laps. And he says well how long is that going to take you? So I said F%$# YOU and swam about 500yds. Then another guy jumps in the lane, not to swim but to walk down the lane. Didn't even ask. So now I have had enough. The first guy who is a good swimmer brushes me knocks my goggles loose. Accident or not he has a suprise coming. So in the way back I head out give him a little shot to the ribs. By the time I get back he's out of the lane. Mission accomplished. Aquatic warfare at it's best. And I got rid of the second guy by doing the remainder of my 1000yds by doing the breast stroke. See I have long arms and can eat up a lane easily. Just to clarify, I am big on ettiquite whether on the bike, in the pool hell even on the golf course and especially in the river fishing. As far as a I am concerned the first guy had it coming. I just did what some people thought about doing but just didn't. Was it right, well NO but I felt better enough was enough. DISCLAIMER: BTW I am really a nice guy.

Edited by smokeater1833 2005-08-26 4:01 AM
2005-08-26 6:24 AM
in reply to: #234313

Extreme Veteran
Kochi, Japan
smokeater1833 - 2005-08-26 4:00 AM

So I said F%$# YOU and swam about 500yds. So now I have had enough. Accident or not he has a suprise coming. So in the way back I head out give him a little shot to the ribs. Aquatic warfare at it's best. As far as a I am concerned the first guy had it coming. DISCLAIMER: BTW I am really a nice guy.

Yeah, you sound like a saint!

Kidding! I come from a water polo background and was always a pretty physical player. Anytime another player wanted to trade shots I was more than happy to one up him the next time down the pool. I think that this helped me alot in my first tri: I had planned on taking it easy and relaxed, but once I took a couple of shots it felt just like polo and I swam over people for the rest of the swim. Even kicked an old lady in the teeth and pulled down a few speedos just for the fun of it!

DISCLAIMER: By the way I am REALLY a nice guy! (was kidding about the old lady- she didn`t have any teeth )
2005-08-26 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
In a race, I would chalk it up to the pandamonium of the moment ... during a work out swim? I would think that there is little to no excuse for someone to somehow "accidently" hit you during a swim - especially since you have the chance (I think obligation) to stop and apologize.

While not prone to confrontation, I would in this instance not let it slide but stand in front of them and let them know what is expected behavior in the pool. Mind you, not in an aggressive in-your-face manner, but calm and even manner (even if I was keyed up inside + wanted to do a "Three-Stooges" snap of his goggles).

Otherwise, this guy is going to think something like this is acceptable practice and keep doing it?

2005-08-26 8:18 AM

User image

Giver

OK...so I've been swimming for a long time. Like 33 years. Age group, HS, college, masters, triathlon, OW. At levels from just learning how to race when I was a pup, to collegiate and US Nationals. I've swum in the relative pandemonium of the La Jolla Rough Water Swim, USAT Naitonals, and 1000-swimmer mass-start tris. I've even spen a fair amount of time at the Y in the lap lanes.

And after all that, I've never had incidences of malicious violence, beyond standard rough housing from too many people in too small a place in a tri or OW swim start. I played a bit of water polo, but that's a totally different animal. Karate chop to the hamstring? Shot to the ribs? I dunno, to me it's almost unimaginable that this would be a common occurence. Maybe the occasional wingnut who's had a bad day, but I've never seen it.

Another poster said something about a conversation. I think that's the way to go. Find the guy or girl stopped on the wall and ask them, in a non-confrontational way, what's up. Most likely an accident. But to retaliate? To me that just seems silly. Maybe it was an accident. Lanes aren't very wide for grown people to share them and not have occasional contact. But to just haul off and sucker punch someone seems extreme.

2005-08-26 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I figure most of it is an accident and not worth bothering getting your dander up about.
2005-08-26 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Some people aren't used to being tapped on the feet, so I don't know, maybe that's part of it?

I pass people if I need to (rare) - either bounce off the wall, or just turn around BEFORE the wall and start swimming the other way.  If people need to pass me, I stop at the wall to let them by, then follow them.

I've had contact in my lane with one or more swimmers besides me - IMO, it was always accidental - almost a head on collision once when the other guy was doing backstroke and got a little off course into my side.  Been kicked by someone breaststroking, various connections of arms/hands/feet.  It happens occasionally.  Now, if it keeps happening, I would need to talk to that person and ask them what's up.  I'm talking like maybe some contact once or twice in a hour of swimming here.

IMO - you don't go to the pool and start beating on people.  In a triathlon, well, you still don't go out there to show you're the biggest, baddest swimmer - but you DO protect your space more, higher elbows, etc.  It can be a trip, swimming next to someone with practically locked arms.

If you want to see the difference between triathlete swimming and real swimming, do an OW event that's just for swimmers.  There's hardly any body contact at all, besides a little bit of feet tapping if someone swims up behind you.

2005-08-26 12:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL

Here's my policy if I get roughed up during a race:

First time I let it slide.  May have been an accident, I'll keep on truckin'. 

Second time from the same person is going to result in either an elbow, body bump or a foot to the shoulder/head/whatever. 

Of course, if it's obviously accidental I won't do anything.  Most of the races I've been in haven't had too much rough play in the water. 

2005-08-30 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Gee, do those of you who support retalation use the same strain of etiquette when someone bumps into you on the sidewalk, or God forbid, jostle you in a crowded road race?  Get real, be civil, play nice.

2005-08-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: #237413

Extreme Veteran
IL

99% of the time contact is accidental.  You throw that many bodies into the water at once with limbs flailing and someone is going to get bumped, it's just a fact that comes with the sport.  Most triathletes are courteous and eager to help their fellow athletes.

However, you do get the rare person who is just a jerk and they'll grab your leg and yank you back, try to swim over top of you, elbow you intentionally (and you can definitely tell when it's intentional), etc.  It's undeniable that people like this are out there.  I usually give them the benefit of the doubt the first or second time, but if it's blatant you're going to get some back.

Edited by dibujob 2005-08-30 11:59 AM
2005-08-30 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Well, in cross country running there would always be a lot of contact when trying to get in position, like if you were trying to beat someone to a narrow trail or something. Not really bad things like taking a spike to someone's leg, but people would throw their sharp elbows around and try to move into your space. It seems to me that open-water swimming would be no different.
2005-08-30 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
a kick to the head helps many people these days.
2005-08-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: #237474

User image

Giver

zakk - 2005-08-30 1:03 PM a kick to the head helps many people these days.

Probably, but if you do it it should be on land. That way they won't drown when they're unconscious.

2005-08-30 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Since this incident obviously took place in a pool, what about the lifeguard? I have had issues with people that are slower than me take off from the wall just as I am swimming into it. It pisses me off because I have to wait for them to get far enough away that I won't be swimming on their feet. I have told the lifeguard on more than one occassion that this person is too slow and should not be in the fast lane - that the medium lane swimmers are faster and they always ask the swimmer to move over.

The physical contact on the part of the guy that hit your hamstring is unreasonable. I would have stopped the person at one end of the pool and asked WTF?

No matter what, I let the LG handle the problem because they are the 'lawmaker' on the pool deck, not me. i know what the rules are (I was a lifeguard for many years) and they are there to enforce them and if they don't there is always the aquatics supervisor to complain to... as to a race, elbows flying comes with the territory.

Edited by shrano 2005-08-30 1:35 PM

2005-08-30 1:54 PM

Regular
Maine
Wow, I've never heard of this. I simply can't imagine it happening where I do my swim workouts. I'm kind of new to lap swimming so maybe this is something I will encounter one day. I'm non-confrontational by nature so I'd let it go and assume it was an accident.
2005-08-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: #237413

User image

Master
Michigan
Ken - 2005-08-30 12:47 PM

Gee, do those of you who support retalation use the same strain of etiquette when someone bumps into you on the sidewalk, or God forbid, jostle you in a crowded road race?  Get real, be civil, play nice.

Guess I have alot to learn about ettiquette. I am talking about blatant idiots which you run rarely. I have never got into a fist fight or anything just some friendly bumps while swimming.
As far as the sidewalk bumping, come on.
2005-08-30 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Mmmm. As an only child I've heard the mantra that I don't play well with others!

That said I've read the book, "Hands are Not For Hitting," as well. Maybe I'll send you a copy smokeeater! Ha.

Seriously though I am the most non-competative person (most times) because I'm always slow but I don't like getting hit or touched when I swim. So when I swim in a race I usually go high and outside and I usually don't bump into anyone. I can also tell if a touch is accidental. If someone touches me on the foot then they get a mouthfull of bubbles as I turn up my speed. But I've never been hit, kicked or punched in the head. Then again I don't swim with guys and most of the women in tris I can pass. My vote is to actually wait and talk to the person that hit me. And I'll ask point blank if they did it on purpose. If they say no then I'll let it go. But if they say yes I proceed to give them the beat down! Well, not really.

2005-08-30 7:05 PM
in reply to: #237533

User image

Master
Michigan
infosteward - 2005-08-30 3:09 PM

Mmmm. As an only child I've heard the mantra that I don't play well with others!

That said I've read the book, "Hands are Not For Hitting," as well. Maybe I'll send you a copy smokeeater! Ha.

Seriously though I am the most non-competative person (most times) because I'm always slow but I don't like getting hit or touched when I swim. So when I swim in a race I usually go high and outside and I usually don't bump into anyone. I can also tell if a touch is accidental. If someone touches me on the foot then they get a mouthfull of bubbles as I turn up my speed. But I've never been hit, kicked or punched in the head. Then again I don't swim with guys and most of the women in tris I can pass. My vote is to actually wait and talk to the person that hit me. And I'll ask point blank if they did it on purpose. If they say no then I'll let it go. But if they say yes I proceed to give them the beat down! Well, not really.

I'll take a copy, but I'll only ask nice twice.
2005-08-30 7:20 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Drown him... I had a chick grab my butt, but I was kinda turned on cuz she was hot.

2005-08-30 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

I think there are two issues here....Etiquette in the pool and etiquette in the OW during a tri. It is hard at times for me to think like a "beginner" or "newbie" in the pool since i have swum since HS.  There are those that "get it", meaning they will adapt to the circumstances, whether change lanes, circle swim, or share a lane as best as possible. There are those that don't get it yet, or know and discussion/explanation you would think would be welcome. Then there are those that just don't care. I have found quite a few of those recently...not to stereotype..but they tend to be older and every time i talk of "sharing a lane"  i have been barked at.  In the pool, i think talking, using a lifeguard if possible (unfortunately they are often 16 yrs old) is the way to go.

In the open water during a tri...well my experience is 1..Sand/running start...didnt know where to place myself...so sort of first 20 of wave of 75.  There was definitly some pushing, elbows, kicking etc...but i just chalked it up to adrenaline, excitement, and about 50 people or so all trying to be in the same place at  the same time. I dont see it as malicious or intentional, and everyone should think of where they should position themselves for the swim start.  If there was a persistent problem with someone in the OW though...no discussion needed. Wouldnt want to waste energy with them...id do whatever it took to seperate myself permanently from them as quickly and easily as possible, whether an elbow, a leg, or just grabbing there suit/wetsuit at the hip and pulling them back while pushing myself forward.

My .02 worth

JT

2005-08-30 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
All this makes me REALLY excited to do my frist OWS in a race . . . errr . . . not.
2005-08-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: #237726

User image

Master
Michigan
ChuckyFinster - 2005-08-30 8:20 PM

Drown him... I had a chick grab my butt, but I was kinda turned on cuz she was hot.

Chucky you lucky dog, unless she had no teeth that is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » retaliation during a swim? Rss Feed