Human Race
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 50s
Overall Rank = 190/
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

Hmmm... let's see... we were at a wedding reception the previous night until after midnight drinking and dancing... so the morning of the race we 'tried' to get up early (read: 9am) then tried to get the bikes prepped as we kinda forgot to do it the night before, and before we knew it it was an hour past the time for when we needed to leave to be able to even get to the race on time. My heat started at 2:25. The train pulled into the station at 1:44 and we had a 20-25 minute ride from the train station to the site of the event, so I guess I got to use that as my warm up? We got to the race venue (the site of the rowing events for the 2012 Olympics, so that was kind of cool!), and they had already closed the registration/packet pick-up for my event... NOOOOOOOO! I begged and pleaded with the woman, telling her I was already in my onesie, and could get into my wetsuit in record time, and that I was going to be BOP anyways, so what did it matter if I started back there? Eventually she smiled and handed me all of the numbers I needed and sent me off to go and rack my bike.
Event warmup:

Um... read the above... 25 minute bike ride into 40mph winds to get to the event site and then the fastest change on record for getting into a wetsuit. I think my heartrate was waaaaay above Z4 before I even got into the cold, cold, freezingly cold water. (yup, I'm a wimp)
Swim
  • 25m 44s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was THE worst ever experience I've had swimming. EVER. 40mph winds straight on meant that there were actually swells on the lake. Not only that but the crest of the swells were having the wind hit them which was then spraying the water over everyone. I got kicked in the diaphragm within the first 150m or so and had the wind knocked right out of me, and then it took FOREVER to try and get my breath back. I drank more lake water than I ever have before, and I KNOW I definitely swore more in my head than I ever have before. Everytime you would try and move forward, it seemed like you got pushed 2m back and 1m to the side. That, added to the fact that everytime you would try and do a normal front crawl stroke and breathe, you'd get a mouthful of water because of the waves. Terrible doesn't even begin to describe how bad this was. I was speaking with a guy after I finished my race who said that this swim took him longer than his HIM swim a couple of weeks ago. It took me at least 5-6 minutes more than I wanted or thought it was going to.
What would you do differently?:

Next time the wind is blowing constantly at 40mph... maybe stay home? Naaaahhhh... we all know I'm not about to do that!
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

As I had absolutely NO time to set up my transition before I jumped into the water, my T1 consisted of dumping out my backpack and trying to find my cycling shoes, socks, number to be pinned to the front of my onesie, and those stupid safety pins to somehow get it to stay on and not get blown off... note to self to not forget a race belt next time.

Um... not miss the train to get me to the race on time thereby giving me enough time to actually set up? That would have helped.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 27s
  • 30 kms
  • 26.69 km/hr
Comments:

I have absolutely NO idea how I actually stayed on my bike. The wind actually picked up at this point in the afternoon, which brought it up to stoopid levels. There had been 3 people earlier that had been taken to the hospital because of being blown off of their bikes, but was that enough to cancel the race? Nope... the show must go on!

This was really the only part of the race that felt good for me (and I beat Tony by 2 minutes on the bike!) so I'm going to hold on to that and use it as my confidence booster for the next one. Incredibly strong headwinds for about 3/4 of each loop, and then fun cross-winds for the last 1/4. You just couldn't get away from it! There weren't any hills to speak of, but the wind was more than enough to make you feel like you were riding the Alps or something equally as nasty.

Thank gawd for my Mars bar for lap 3/4... mmmmm chocolately goodness! It also made me feel pretty good to lap a couple of people - feels a lot better to catch people rather than be caught by others who make you feel like you're standing still. Those people aren't nearly as much fun.

Not much, though I NEED to take my bike in for a tune-up... it was skipping gears like mad, and consequently making me swear even more... though not nearly as much as the swearing during the swim.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Again, back to dumping out everything and trying to find shoes, socks, hat, etc.

See the above in terms of trying to be less of an idiot getting to the race site.
Run
  • 46m 32s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 06m 12s  min/km
Comments:

First thing that happens is that I tried to put on my hat to keep my hair out of my eyes, and the wind just takes it right off... second attempt and the same result. Sooooo, yet again, the wind wins this round.

Ugh do I ever dislike running. And running 3.5km into that same evil headwind was enough to make me think that running was indeed invented by the devil.

Let's just say that I need to drastically improve my running and leave it at that.

More running training, even though I hate running cuz running sucks. A lot.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled over the finish line and had one of the ladies say "wow, you don't even look tired!". I kinda wanted to punch her for that, but just took my glass of water instead, said thank you, and again started swearing in my head. Then just more water, stretching some while waiting for Tony to cross the finish line so that we could ride our bikes back to the train station in the wind! Yippeeeee!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Geez, can't you people read? It's all in the above!

Event comments:

I'd definitely do this race again. Overall it was good, but the weather really put a damper on things for me... that and they ran out of t-shirts! After the amount that I went through with this race, I want a t-shirt dang-it!

Last updated: 2011-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:44 | 1000 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full Sleeve Orca
Course: Out to a marker, across to another marker, and then back in to T1
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:27 | 30 kms | 26.69 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 6 loops around the lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:32 | 07.5 kms | 06m 12s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 out and back loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Human Race 3/4 Triathlon

2011-05-23 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3513365

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Human Race 3/4 Triathlon
So, was it windy?
2011-05-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3513365

User image

Master
Wilmington
no pic of the onesey it never happened lol.
2011-05-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3513484

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

mr2tony - 2011-05-23 9:37 AM So, was it windy?

Sticking my tongue out at you. 

2011-05-23 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3513577

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Livestrong191 - 2011-05-23 10:04 AM no pic of the onesey it never happened lol.

But I've got a witness!  Several, actually... but at least one that's got some credibility on this site... or does he? 

Hopefully any pics of me that turn up in the gallery don't have me absolutely gasping for breath, but we'll see. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Human Race 3/4 Triathlon Rss Feed