70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 53s
Overall Rank = 55/228
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

**Racer #146. Results have me listed as Scott Harris**

Woke as normal, downed a coffee, a couple crackers, sipped on a gatorade, and took care of business.

Easy Peasy
Event warmup:

None.

Showed up, stood in line forever getting a timing chip, and then waded into the water. Took a couple strokes to fit goggles and cap, but that was it.
Swim
  • 1h 48m 53s
  • 5650 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started behind a group of Auburn University swimmers. Figured I would attempt to ride their feet as long as possible and see where it gets me. But, I didn't want to go too hard too fast on this race.

When the gun started, either I took of WAY slow, or everyone else was WAY fast. I was getting passed quickly. Started to speed up to stay with everyone, but I didn't. I began backing it down a little, while working to stay with a group of swimmers.

At one point, I started counting strokes per bridge span to make sure my pacing was consistent, which it was. I knew that once I got to the hump, I'd be okay and I could start turning on the gas and making my moves. I reached the hump at 51'; 3mins behind my halfway goal time. At this point, I started making course corrections away from the bridge to setup the final turn into the finish line.

I came up on a group of kayakers and paddle boarders shadowing some swimmers and used them for a visual as I made passes. I fell into a upbeat 3stroke/breath pace and let it go. Passed the swimmers and the paddle boarders and started working to pick off other swimmers.

Here's where I realized that I had been swimming too close to the bridge and had to start making some serious course corrections to avoid having to swim extra around the boat dock. The whole swim I had been sighting left with the occasional right, but here's where I started looking forward to guage a bit more accurate. I spotted the yellow bouy (0.5mi to go) and got on track.

At this point, really started picking it up to pick off the last of the folks I could. I remember making a few passes, especially of a guy doing the backstroke coming in.

I got the course corrected and proceeded in. I noticed it was so shallow that I could've easily stood up and walked it in, but knew that would be much much slower. Plus, I had no need.

I swam until my hands dug sand, then stood to run. Obviously, it's hard to run after swimming that long. Slightly dizzy so did a "drunk run" to the finish.

Felt great.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster, earlier.

I saw 1:21 on the watch, and knew I had a bit to go, so the pipe dream of 1:30 was out. I still thought I could reach the time of 1:38, but saw it leave as I had 0.5mi to go.

Guess I should've gone harder.

Apparently the swim times were slow by 8-10mins from last year, so something affected it, which is the same difference of my estimated time...
Post race
Warm down:

Took in a water and gatorade to get the salt out of my mouth.

Looked for preliminary results and couldn't find any. Left to go to the hotel to shower, change, check out, and then return for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unknown. Not knowing when to start the gas was the biggest issue.

Event comments:

I thought the finish could've been more organized. The volunteers were handing out water at the finish, but had no directions for food or results. For some reason the results were on one end of the hotel while the food and what not, was on the other end.

The race started 22mins late.

The line for the chips turned into a long line of taking forever.

Otherwise, the race was definitely fun and enjoyable.

Last updated: 2011-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:48:53 | 5650 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 12/228
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammes
Course: Point to Point. Pensacola to Gulf Breeze
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 11:23 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: 3 Mile Bridge Swim

2011-05-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3513798

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: 3 Mile Bridge Swim

Outstanding job!  That is one  freaking LONG swim to figure out pacing and sighting on!

Congrats!!

2011-05-24 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3513798

User image

Master
Subject: RE: 3 Mile Bridge Swim
Many swimmers started out way too fast.  I passed a ton of folks at 500-1k or so.  Except for the Auburn chicks.  I think two of those were the two that I never caught.  Gotta love fast women!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Mile Bridge Swim Rss Feed