Tri Fort Triathletes
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 31s
Overall Rank = 31/92
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

I got up around 4:00 and ate. I had set out my equipment the night before.
Event warmup:

I did my hamstring stretches before leaving the house and some light stretching before the race.
Swim
  • 27m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The previous two years the swim was in waves and was a single out and back course. This year was decidedly worse. There was one wave and everyone had to make an immediate right turn. This resulted in confusion and a lot of jostling. The inside portion of the loop along the beach was too shallow and the bottom was churned up pretty good. I was bumping into people most of the way. I had some trouble with navigation and did not enjoy this swim at all. The course length was supposed to be right on distance, but it also included going up a flight of stairs and across a filed to get tot the transition area. I took off my suit on the way up the stairs at a convenient spot where I couls sit down. This was included in my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I was quite a bit slower than last year. I wasn't paying attention to speed.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt OK but my hamstrings were a little sore and my knees bothered me a little. I'm looking forward to my bike fit on Tuesday. It was a pain going out into the wind and i averaged 18.2 mph. It would be nice to have a tri bike. I may have been the leading road bike without aerobars in the race, but I can't be sure as the course was not a strict out and back. It was nice coming back with the wind and the tri bake advantages were negated. I actually passed a bunch of people on the way back. I wanted t average around 19 mph and pretty much hit this goal.

Bike fit I think is was a problem. I've pretty much eliminated seat discomfort, neck issues, and numb hands, but I've lost power and I had hip pain for the first time on a ride. Maybe I'm just getting older. One thing that was a surprise was my [relatively] new Specialized helmet has large vent slots in the top and I actually got a little sunburned right on the top of my head. I need to keep this in mind as I train this summer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Not a bad transition. I could have organized my stuff a bit better, but i did OK.

Better organize my transition area.
Run
  • 55m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had trouble on the run. My hamstrings were tight and I went out a bit too quickly, although I wasn't that fast. This is a very tough run with lots of hills and I don't have ANY hills near where I train. I did pass probably 10-15 people in the run and was only passed by 2, although one of these was in my age group.

Take it easier for the first couple of miles. I thought I was doing this, but I guess not. I was hoping for quite a bit better than this.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do enough here. At the finish I talked to some friends who were spectators and race volunteers when I should have kept moving. When I finally started walking around my left hip had some shooting pains and my legs cramped up pretty good. I did do my hamstring stretches in the evening and on Sunday I wasn't too sore - not nearly s much as last year. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike fit and hamstring discomfort, as well as not having any training on hills. I think the run was the hardest because I could not get into a good rhythm with all the ups and downs.

Event comments:

I say the race was too hard, but I'll do it again next year.

Last updated: 2011-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/12
Overall: 30/92
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Two laps in the lake and you had to get out of the water between laps and go around a cone on the beach before starting the second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:37.1
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:03 | 24.85 miles | 18.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 48/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was pretty much the same as last year. Going out was into a pretty good headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 30/92
Performance: Below average
Course: This is a very challenging run through the Pokagon trails with lots of ups and downs. There was only one area of significant mud this year and my new white racing flats are still pretty white except for one small area on one shoe. They changed the course this year by adding a really steep hill just before the 6 mile mark. I had to walk (and I'm pretty sure lots of othere did the same thing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes