General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Altitude Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-23 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
Subject: High Altitude Training

I was hoping to get some input on high altitude training.

This is my first year of triathlons and have now lived at 6300' for the last year. I have done some reading on altitude training and find a very mixed view on its benefits.

My first tri is in Aug. here in Tahoe, but I plan on two more tri's in Sept. & Oct. and they are at or near sea level. I am training at elevations between 6200' - 7000'. I'm hoping to get some input from people on the benefits and/or downside of this kind of training. Is there really that big of a difference?

Thanks.

2011-05-23 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3514784

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Subject: RE: High Altitude Training
You are lucky to live and train at high altitude in such a beautiful area. As far as I know there are no downsides of training at altitude and racing at sea level.There is an upside: You have more red blood cells than somebody with similar abilities who is living at sea level thus allowing you carry more oxygen to your body. However if you will be racing in hot and humid environment beware, it might take a lot out of you.
Good Luck
2011-05-23 7:33 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I recently read an article about a study on this. I think it may have been in Lava, or it could have been The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The short version was that benefits are only realized by athletes living high, and training low. They gave specific elevations to use as minimums and maximums, but I can't remember the numbers. I'll try to see if I still have the magazine. Basically, training low (where more oxygen is available) allows the hard efforts necessary to see bigger gains, and living high causes your body to produce more red blood cells.
2011-05-23 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3514796

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

TriMyBest - 2011-05-23 5:33 PM I recently read an article about a study on this. I think it may have been in Lava, or it could have been The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The short version was that benefits are only realized by athletes living high, and training low. They gave specific elevations to use as minimums and maximums, but I can't remember the numbers. I'll try to see if I still have the magazine. Basically, training low (where more oxygen is available) allows the hard efforts necessary to see bigger gains, and living high causes your body to produce more red blood cells.

I disagree a bit. I live at 4500' and find it beneficial when racing at lower altitudes. For short, hard efforts you'll get more benefit from training at lower altitudes for the reasons mentioned above but for most endurance training the benefits of training higher are great. Increased red blood cells, oxygen carrying capacity, etc. all help with endurance.

2011-05-23 9:48 PM

User image

New user
Breckenridge
I'm hoping it will help, I live and train at 9100feet and will be racing the Escape from Alcatraz next month.
2011-05-23 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3514796

User image

Master
University Park, MD

TriMyBest - 2011-05-23 8:33 PM I recently read an article about a study on this. I think it may have been in Lava, or it could have been The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The short version was that benefits are only realized by athletes living high, and training low. They gave specific elevations to use as minimums and maximums, but I can't remember the numbers. I'll try to see if I still have the magazine. Basically, training low (where more oxygen is available) allows the hard efforts necessary to see bigger gains, and living high causes your body to produce more red blood cells.

If I remember correctly, this depends on what counts as "high". Living and training at 5000' is as beneficial as everybody assumes. It's when you get much higher than that, say, above 10,000' that it might be better to live high and train lower. 

At least, I'm banking on this being true. I'll be spending much of the summer in Boulder, so I'm hoping to knock out some quick times once I come back down to sea level.

2011-05-24 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Agree or disagree, it doesn't change the science.  Even though the benefits of living high and training high (what constitutes "high" is also debatable) is still controversial, living high and training low has demonstrated measurable benefits.  Here are 2 studies about it:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/altitude-training.html

http://journal.shouxi.net/qikan/article.php?id=365925

2011-05-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3515230

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
TriMyBest - 2011-05-24 3:21 AM

Agree or disagree, it doesn't change the science.  Even though the benefits of living high and training high (what constitutes "high" is also debatable) is still controversial, living high and training low has demonstrated measurable benefits.  Here are 2 studies about it:

The science (as stated in the articles) is generally inconclusive. The studies mentioned back up what I said regarding shorter, more intense efforts and also used elite athletes as test subjects - which most of us are not. Increases in VO2 max are great, but most people race at tempo or slightly above paces.

Regardless, I've seen many good athletes suffer at higher altitudes because they weren't acclimated. Living and exercising at higher altitudes hurts top-end (sprint) speed but I've found it helpful when racing at any altitude.

2011-05-24 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3515715

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
MonkeyClaw - 2011-05-24 10:26 AM
TriMyBest - 2011-05-24 3:21 AM

The science (as stated in the articles) is generally inconclusive. The studies mentioned back up what I said regarding shorter, more intense efforts and also used elite athletes as test subjects - which most of us are not. Increases in VO2 max are great, but most people race at tempo or slightly above paces.

Regardless, I've seen many good athletes suffer at higher altitudes because they weren't acclimated. Living and exercising at higher altitudes hurts top-end (sprint) speed but I've found it helpful when racing at any altitude.

I wasn't saying that there are no benefits to live high/train high.  In fact, I said it's still controversial, meaning it's still an open issue as to how beneficial it is, not whether it's beneficial or not.  My point was that there is more evidence that live high/train low is beneficial, so going with that method (if you live in a location that makes it possible), is a better bet.

You do make a good point about studies performed with elite athletes, though.  What works for them doesn't always have the same impact on the average age-grouper, so YMMV.

2011-05-24 11:58 AM

Master
, California

I spotted this awhile back:

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/how-altitude-affects-power-output

Unfortunately he doesn't cite the studies.  But in practice it seems a fair assessment from what I've been able to do in different locations.

But another thing people forget is that altitude also plays into aerodynamics.  Go over to analyticcycling and play around with the numbers for air density.  It's somewhat amusing when you discover that your drop in power at altitude doesn't necessarily reduce your speed (because of lower air density).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High Altitude Training Rss Feed