General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boise 70.3 shuttles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-23 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: Boise 70.3 shuttles
First time doing boise.  family is wondering if they should buy the shuttle pass out to lucky peak or just drive their car out there.  advice?

2011-05-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3515127

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: Boise 70.3 shuttles

Haven't used the shuttle personally, but I wouldn't recommend trying to drive up there.

Not sure if you are familiar with Lucky Peak or not, but the resevoir is at the top of the dam. They block the road going to the top of the dam so the best you can do is park at the bottom and hike over a mile up a dirt road to the top. That is if you can find a parking spot at the bottom. I got there decently early and I found the last available spot.

Problem then is, once the swim starts they block the road going to town from Lucky Peak. My wife helped me set up, watched the swim then tried to drive down to see me on the bike. It took her almost as long to get back to town as it took me to complete the bike. She said it was a nightmare trying to get back to where she could watch.

So... I'm not sure how the shuttle works. But I can say that trying to drive yourself can be a big hassle.

2011-05-24 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
The shuttle is easier but at $8 a pop, it's not cheap. The shuttle picks you up at the finish line and drops you off at the finish line. It says on the site it should be back downtown probably before you get done with the bike (assuming you aren't in the first wave and going to be on the run at 2.5 hours into the race).
2011-05-30 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
For the past 2 years I have driven to pond below the dam and parked there without any problem. It's really no big deal to walk up the dirt road, esp if you dropped your bike off the night before. After the swim my wife has never had a problem getting back to Boise.
2011-06-04 8:21 AM

Boulder County, CO

My family used the shuttle last year.  Worked great for them.  The shuttles don't leave until the last swimmer has completed T1 so they may end up standing around for a while after you're out on your bike.  But they made it back downtown easily to see me go through T2 (had a beer while they waited).  Of course, this doesn't allow them to view you anywhere along the bike course.  But I'm an advocate of the shuttle since it allows for fewer cars on the road. 

FYI - there's very little shade at Lucky Peak so if your family does decide to use shuttle, maybe bring an umbrella or hat, water, etc.  It can get hot standing around up there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boise 70.3 shuttles Rss Feed