General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How did you transition from Just Finishing, to Competing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-24 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: How did you transition from Just Finishing, to Competing?

This is a question for anyone who has been seriously overweight and inactive, and is now training for triathlons, actually paying attention to their time.

I'm very heavy. 274 right now. I've never been athletic, or fast. For me, getting through a sprint triathlon was itself, a feat of ENDURANCE. What most people use as a "speedwork" workout, is the extent of how far I can run that day. My now 16minute pace is a huge improvement. I have no idea how many watts I produce on the bike, I'm happy not to have to get off and walk the thing. I rarely train with a HM on, because I know I'm definitely at a high exertion level.

I am seeing rapid growth in fitness, as any first timer will, going from zero to anything. So this is all good, and I am now committed to completing an Olympic in November.

No one can answer the question of what my training will produce for me. Only I can do it.

But I am interested in hearing from others who have started in similar circumstances, and now have moved beyond the simple amazement of "I just dragged this huge mass how far?" It's a neat feeling to start, but I don't want to be the same guy in 3 years.

What did it feel like for you? What did you do differently in training? Were you ever THIS SLOW? (I'm talking 18m pace in a 5k.) Can you describe the change? Did it just come from time, overall conditioning and weight loss?

Right now I am just going out and running/biking/swimming as much as I can in the time I have. I have yet to divide workouts into long runs, speed work, power metering, or any of the tools that appear to be vital to serious training. But I would like my next sprint to be well under the almost 2.5 hours I put into the last one.

2011-05-24 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3516465

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: How did you transition from Just Finishing, to Competing?
Yes, time, overall conditioning and weight loss all played a big role in it.  Also, experience--training appropriately for each distance, and gaining knowledge of what I am capable of by trying new things--biting off just a teeny bit more than I can chew until in hindsight, my fitness level has gotten pretty darn good.  I also have to fight off the low-self-esteem demons on a regular basis that try to tell me that because I am older and bigger, I shouldn't be front of pack!  Each race is a new opportunity to put those demons to rest. 

This is my fifth season doing tris after being sedentary for two decades prior.  I am happy to report that I am generally in the top 10% of women and top 20-25% overall in just about every race/distance/discipline.  Sure, I'd love to move into the top spot someday, although am happy to exceed my own goals and continue setting an example for others who may be wary of starting this awesome sport.  (I did get 3rd overall female in a HIM last summer, though!)....

Just keep up the training and always set a new goal once you have reached one.  It's the little steps that add up!
2011-05-24 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

I started out at around 260lbs when I started training for my first tri last year. I lost about 20lbs in 5 months and did my first sprint in 2hrs (.5 swim, 14.5bike, 3.5run). I was the last person to finish in the clyd division but it didnt matter. As of now, I am down to almost 225 and have already seen vast improvements. My running pace is down from about 12min/mile to 10min/mile, my swim is steady between 8:45-9:45min 400yrds, down from about 12min 400. I would say the weight loss and practice definately contributed to my improvements but I would also say that finding other people to work out with helped. I was going to the gym and training everyday by myself for my first tri and although it was successful, it was hard to stay motivated. I found a local tri club in my area and joined up at the beginning of the year. I must say, being with the club gave me so much more motivation to work out then doing it by myself. Our club has 4 structured workouts every week and touch on everything from s/b/r to transition, nutrition, equipment, etc. There are alot of experienced people that have shown me alot of things that I attribute to my times getting better, plus its more fun to work out with people who are training for the same thing as you.  This is my second season of Tri's and I have my first race (C race for the season) in about 3 weeks. So I will let you know what the feeling will be when I cross the finish line in better health than last year. I would keep up the training and over time it will all come into play. I still have a way to go myself but I love the journey. I would just like to say, I enjoy reading your blog and you motivate me to push myself. Maybe one day I will see you at a Tri. Good luck this season with your training and races.

2011-05-24 3:49 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I think you have to define "competative."  There are lots of different definitions.  Competitive can be taking the podium in the Cylde division at your small local race (think big fish, small pond) to KQing or qualifying for Vegas at a WTC event (much, much, much bigger pond). I think doing well at local races can be a huge confidence booster and then you can use that confidence to advance to the next level.

For me, I've gone from being in the mix in the Athena division, to consistently winning the Athena division by large margins to being in the mix and now being able to podium in my AG.  My ultimate goal is to be highly competitive overall at large races. 

In the end none of this really matters, the only thing that matters is that you prepare and perform to the best of your ability on race day. 

2011-05-24 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

I'm proud of you Claaaw,

I'm probably about the same size as you, (Last weigh in was 270 and I'm 5'9"

It started for me when I ran further than I ever have, when I biked further that I ever have, and when I swam further than I ever have.  It helped to have a goal (My first sprint June 25th). 

I wear a heart rate monitor, but I'm a bit of a gadget geek.  Check out my ride from this morning, 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87723830

I actually ran a different route the other morning, and didn't make it to me designated stopping point.  I was bummed because I didn't make my 30 minutes, but guess what?  After I logged the data, I had actually run a further distance than I ever had! (Just over a mile and a half).

These types of things are what keeps me going..  (And this website)..

2011-05-25 8:03 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I never ever thought I would be "competitive" at triathlons.  I started around 250 and I am now hover around 205 depending on the workout week.  I have seen 195, but that was after a 20mile run starting at 2pm in April.  I have been doing this for 3 years.  The first year I raced 2 times.  I was first place in both events as a clyde including a 5:49 in the local HIM.  The next year I raced AG and I was 3rd, 4th and 4th.  The 2 4th place finishes I missed 3rd place by :40seconds, including a 5:05 HIM at the same local HIM.  This is my 3rd year of tris and I am trying my best to get below 200, but I am starting not care about weight.  My olympic race I expected to do ok, but I ended up 3rd place and turned down a roll down to Alcatraz (money is tight).  My second race this year was IMTX.  Now, every race I enter I expect to get my handed to me.  I am only confident in the predictions of what I think I can do, not how I will place.  I finished with a 10:42 in my first IM.  Going in I expected a 1:17/5:45/4:00.  My biggest surprise came on the bike.  During the ride I kept looking at my watch and thinking that I accedently pushed stop.  I kept wanting to slow down, but my HR was high Z1 low Z2.  I rode a 5:12 and not once did I feel I was over riding.  The run I was expecting a 4:00, but I ended up with a 4:05.  I was more mad I missed my marathon goal, then how much I killed my bike.  I think the sun coming out had more of an effect than my bike pace. 

My point of saying all this is go into a race for yourself.  I have read past results and compare what I should do in a race, but I do not ever over extend myself to try and compete.  Compete with yourself during training and enjoy the races.  I enjoy training to the point I know what the purpose of the workout is and I try to kill it every time.  I love to get up a 4am and do intervals on the trainer or running.  I run in the middle of a cold front moving in, because not many people would.  I ask my wife what her schedule is for the week and train around it.  I refuse to miss workouts unless life is in the way.  I stay consistant and stay mentaly prepared each and every day.  Somebody is always lighter, faster, stronger, but do they TRI as hard as you?

2011-05-25 10:26 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Thanks for the replies so far.

As to why I asked the question, first I have to say that I am indeed racing no one but myself. But I definitely have to consider cutoff times as a real issue in this stage one. My 2nd race had cutoff times, and I made it even with a really bad swim start. (Swimming is my "strength" so that was a tough one.)

I'm fantasizing about 4 years from now, when Kona is on my son's birthday. Seems like a reasonable if aggressive goal. 4 years to qualify. From 20minute mile to KQ in 4.5 years. Why not?

I'm still amazing myself with the fact that I can move the distances I move right now, compared to the absolute lack of anything just months ago. As I build endurance, I want to build speed too, especially since we're running the Disneyworld Half Marathon January 2012, and it has a generous, but still a challenge for me, 16min/mile pace requirement. So speed has to come with endurance for me.

I'm not trying to do it all at once, I just need to know that down the road, the possibility exists to not only go longer, but get faster. Thanks for your stories. Would love to hear more. (And if I was a woman, I would totally have to have that Study jersey Medusa Ann! You look awesome! For now I am committed to a year of finishes in the DOUGHBOY tshirt.)

2011-05-26 12:36 AM

User image

New user

Just outside of Raleigh

Hey Claaaw,

I'll chime in on this as well... first off congrats on getting out there, that truly is the first step.  Like others, last Jan I found myself 39years old @ 5'9 & 250lbs - on a  bet I did my first sprint tri last may.  I have always been a good swimmer, so I only did a few weeks training on my old bike and ran a little.  First swim of the year was at that tri!! Talk about stupid!! Anyways - Finished dead last - but I finished.  The thing that struck me was just the motivation from others on the course (both competing and watching) that they were giving me.  I finished that race and I swear, It was life changing.  

As fate would have it - after the race, I ran into someone from my neighborhood - one of those hey you look familiar meetings, we started talking and turns out she started a tri club and was recruiting people.  Kicker was - It was all women.  I didnt care - I sucked it up and started training w/ them (to this day there are about 15 woman and me - Im known as the training boyfriend!).  I signed up for another race and finished in the bottom 20 - but didn't really care - it wasn't last!  Not only that - in a period of about 4 months I went from 250 down to 220.  I did one more race last year and finished 5th in the MC division and I was hooked.  

Like the poster above me said - you need to define competitive.  I'm now at 200lbs ( swim better, bike faster, but still run slow as !!! ) and will be under that for my first race this season, so Ill be racing in my AG - pretty sure I wont have much of a chance at any hardware, but to me, this year being competitive is to finish in the top 1/2 or better for each race (doing 3 sprints, an olympic and a HIM).  If I can do that - I would be psyched!!

The best advice I can offer is find people to train w/.  Go to meetup.com, check the forums here, go to your local bike shop or gym - whatever, just find people to train with.  Training w/ people can be so motivating, plus, its alot harder to miss a workout knowing there are people waiting for you - kind of makes you accountable.

Good luck.

2011-05-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3519275

User image

Champion
TheClaaaw - 2011-05-25 11:26 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

As to why I asked the question, first I have to say that I am indeed racing no one but myself. But I definitely have to consider cutoff times as a real issue in this stage one. My 2nd race had cutoff times, and I made it even with a really bad swim start. (Swimming is my "strength" so that was a tough one.)

I'm fantasizing about 4 years from now, when Kona is on my son's birthday. Seems like a reasonable if aggressive goal. 4 years to qualify. From 20minute mile to KQ in 4.5 years. Why not?

I'm still amazing myself with the fact that I can move the distances I move right now, compared to the absolute lack of anything just months ago. As I build endurance, I want to build speed too, especially since we're running the Disneyworld Half Marathon January 2012, and it has a generous, but still a challenge for me, 16min/mile pace requirement. So speed has to come with endurance for me.

I'm not trying to do it all at once, I just need to know that down the road, the possibility exists to not only go longer, but get faster. Thanks for your stories. Would love to hear more. (And if I was a woman, I would totally have to have that Study jersey Medusa Ann! You look awesome! For now I am committed to a year of finishes in the DOUGHBOY tshirt.)

I think your focus on the shorter term goals is certainly the right attitude to have.  Focus on the journey from point to point, not just the long-term goal. 

Each of your goals will only be achieved through consistency in training and focusing on a final objective 4 years out is unlikely to provide the motivation to get you out of bed at 4am in the middle of winter for a long swim workout.

With regard to Kona, I'll give you a frame of reference.  TriPatrick said in another thread that he did his first IM after 4 years of training and lit up the course to a very solid time of 10:42, placing him 19th in his age group.  The final Kona qualifier for that race, in his age group, came in 10th at 10:14. 

Texas gives out twice as many Kona spots as other races b/c they are the US Ironman Championships.  So to qualify at a different  IM, you would need to be 5th in your AG, give or take a place.  Bigger guys are better suited to powering a flat course, rather than climbing a hilly course, so your best races would likely be AZ or FL.  Last year, 5th place at those races in my AG (35-39) were 9:21 and 9:01, respectively.

I'm not saying that it can't be done with the right amount of training and nutrition.  I'm just saying that, because it is such a high bar, it is better to focus on enjoying your short-term achievements.

2011-05-26 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Hey Claaw, congratulations on everything you've accomplished so far. I think it's great you're already looking forward to the day when you will be competitive. Personally, I think that drive and desire will make a huge difference in your training. For me, I'm down from 295lbs to 231lbs, and my runs have gone from 11:30min miles to 8:30min miles. As the weight comes off, things really do get easier. As results start to improve, things also get easier. If you stay dedicated to training and diet you will likely see results on the scale, on the clock, and in the mirror. All of these positive results will likely help spur you to keep going and seeing more and more improvements. Stay positive and that should help you progress towards your goals.

As far as being competitive in races, I think that is a really tough one, especially for anyone competing as a clyde. A piece of wisdom I've learned from this site is that you cannot control who else shows up to be your competition on race day. While I'd like to say being able to run a half marathon in under 1:50 off the bike might make me competitive (for clydes) for my next race, I have no control over something like a 202lbs guy showing up who can do it in 90 minutes. All I can do is go out there and do my best and hope the field isn't very strong.

2011-05-26 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Oh please don't worry that I'm some pie-in-the-sky Kona or bust person. It is only very very recently that the thought even entered my head.

5 months ago my goal was to do the swim part of a sprint triathlon by August, just as a relay team. That was honestly, all I thought I would be ready for in 8 months. Now I'm training for an Olympic.

I'm slow now, and I know KQ is a dream beyond reality right now. Speed just doesn't come natrually to me, but at the same time, I am seeing more and more examples in real life that prove it comes naturally to very few, and training can make it happen. Serious, hardcore, consistent training, but it can be done.

so yeah, my goals are all very short term. It's the only way I can keep motivated. When I tacked Body-for-Life ten years ago, I had no short term goals. After an initial success of 50 pounds of weight loss, I was still a big fat guy and lost motivation. I never got huge strength gains, and had no metric of interest to really keep me going.

Now my life is all about living for my kids, so it's no longer about vanity. It simply must be done. Check out the end of this video: I'm the guy in the purple shirt. TriRock Annapolis

I scheduled a ton a various races this year, all with slightly different challenges, so I had new training goals each month. I am starting to think about what goals to set for 2012, and I think Aquaman in Vermont may be it. Here is my crazy 2011 schedule.

So far, just beating the cutoff is all the speed I need. But in addition to short term goals, I like to think of how one step can lead to the next, then the next. I never do anything halfway. 

Right now my biggest short term goal challenge is an Open Water 5k swim at the end of August. This one is keeping me training. then the Olympic in November.

2011-05-26 7:14 PM

User image

Last July I started hitting my stairmaster to help get fit.  The neat thing about it was it allowed me to see how my fitness level improved over time.  At first - I was exercising at level 3... I'd push it to level 4 if I felt kinda crazy.  After a month or two I was doing level 4 - and pushing for level 5.  I thought to myself - - I wonder if I'd ever get to level 9 or... the max level 10.  Well - - almost 11 months later I'm doing level 9 and occasionally doing a level 10.  For me - with this particular type of exercise, loosing weight I think helped, but the improvements I was seeing was largely from my increased level of fitness.  I actually think the extra weight helped - to some strange degree - - - (added built in resistance :)
2011-06-01 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Claaaw,

I see that according to your blog, you are signed up to do the Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon. Just wanted to see what your goals were for that event being that it is late in the season. I wanted to let you know that I will be racing there also and will BOLO (be on look out) for you and your purple shirt! hope we can meet up, would be nice to meet some BTers.

2011-06-01 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3527432

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
dmbfan4life20 - 2011-06-01 11:56 AM

Claaaw,

I see that according to your blog, you are signed up to do the Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon. Just wanted to see what your goals were for that event being that it is late in the season. I wanted to let you know that I will be racing there also and will BOLO (be on look out) for you and your purple shirt! hope we can meet up, would be nice to meet some BTers.

Awesome! We just booked a room at Sea Esta III, which is right along the run route. I hope we get a room facing the road, so my family can record some of the race from the balcony. It's about a mile walk from our motel to the race start, so I hope for the wife and kids to watch the swim, then while the bike is going, walk back to the motel to film the run. We're staying Thursday and Friday. Saturday is my daughter's 8th birthday. I asked her if she'd like to watch Daddy do a race at the beach for her birthday, and she threw her arms around me and jumped up and down like it was the greatest present ever. 

Goals? Yeah, this time I have goals. Finish top half for swim. Do bike at better than 16mph. (that's a true goal for me.) Run in under 40minutes.

Those are objectively modest, but personally ambitious. I have months to get there. In late August I'm doing a 5k swim, so I should be pretty geared up for Dewey.

2011-06-01 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Awesome! We just booked a room at Sea Esta III, which is right along the run route. I hope we get a room facing the road, so my family can record some of the race from the balcony. It's about a mile walk from our motel to the race start, so I hope for the wife and kids to watch the swim, then while the bike is going, walk back to the motel to film the run. We're staying Thursday and Friday. Saturday is my daughter's 8th birthday. I asked her if she'd like to watch Daddy do a race at the beach for her birthday, and she threw her arms around me and jumped up and down like it was the greatest present ever. 

Goals? Yeah, this time I have goals. Finish top half for swim. Do bike at better than 16mph. (that's a true goal for me.) Run in under 40minutes.

Those are objectively modest, but personally ambitious. I have months to get there. In late August I'm doing a 5k swim, so I should be pretty geared up for Dewey.

Good Stuff. I go to Dewey Beach every summer with my girlfriend, we get a house down there with a bunch of her friends from college because everyone went to UD for undergrad. Its a great little town so if you have never been before, I'm sure you will have a blast. I am going down with my girl and her entire Masters swim team so I plan on making this my A race for the season so I dont look like a slob in front of all my friends lol. I heard the water was really choppy last year so I am thinking of getting a wetsuit for this one even though I never have needed one before. I heard the bike leg is short but there is a nasty headwind in one direction. Not sure if they are going to extend the bike leg or not but according to the RD, they are trying to make it a 15mile bike leg by race day so it will be interesting to see if that happens. My goals are pretty similar to yours, I want to be competitive in this one but I have heard its a pretty competitive race so not sure how well I will stack against the competition. 5k swim? wow thats gonna be tough. how long do you have until that race day? I would love to hear about how that goes and how you trained for it. I couldnt imagine swimming a 5k right now.

2011-06-03 2:13 PM

User image

Denver

I guess I am the same but different.  I am starting off competing for a podium for a clyde.  I started at 350 (5'11") and didn't even give triathlon a thought until 255ish - I started to train to complete a sprint, but after the last 10 weeks or so and doing some research on local sprint results I recently changed my goal to podium.

That is quite a jump and probably just sounds stupid to most of you, but right now I am 235 and on track to be under 220 for my goal race and my individual times are getting close to historic course paces. 

Being competitive is sort of my nature and I've been nationally ranked in other sports at different parts of my life so the idea of not being competitive is strange to me. 

On the other hand I think you should always be competitive. Like other have said it can mean a lot of things - compete against the clock, the person ahead of you or behind you, or your own PR. 

Funny thing is the AG times are not too far off the Clyde either ~10-15 minutes total for the sprint distance so that is definitely a goal in for next season. Place in AG as a true Clyde, that would be fun and very challenging. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How did you transition from Just Finishing, to Competing? Rss Feed