http://thebeastoftheeast.net/
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 3s
Overall Rank = 1/32
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 8:00, so I was able to sleep in until 6:00. Woke up, showered, and got dressed. Loaded the car, and we headed over to the start. As I signed in, Scott's daughter said that I was the first familiar face of the morning, so that really made me feel good that she remembered me. Other than that, I set up transition and did my final prep. The swim was wetsuit legal, 71F, but the water felt good. A bit chilly, but comfortable in a wetsuit.

Event warmup:

No warm up. I walked around and chatted with people, and looked at the swim course.
Swim
  • 12m 14s
  • 660 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since this was a TT start, I seeded myself near the very back so I would have a better gauge on placement during the race. I think there were four people behind me, but I could tell from how squeamish they were being that they needed to start in the very back. The race started with 5 seconds between send-offs, and we were off. When it came to my time, I had the 5 second count-down, and then I was unleashed. I took off down the bank into the water. I got about knee deep, and dove in. I actually passed the guy that started in front of me when I ran into the water. I guess the BOP is not used to such aggression. Nonetheless, I shot right between the two round buoys, and headed towards the first buoy. I was swimming straight with great navigation. I was reeling people in, and by the time I got to the first buoy I had caught the main group. I spotted the turn buoy, and swam straight at it. I could see a mass of people on my left, and on my right, with the yellow buoy in the middle. It was like the Red Sea parting, as I hammered straight up the middle between everyone. I could tell that I was having a great swim by the rate I was passing the mass of people. I quickly got to the turn buoy, and hung a right.

It got interesting, since now we were swimming into the raising sun. I went with clear goggles to aid in spotting buoys, but now I could not see crap. I could see a group-set of three plus people on my left, so I semi-followed them until I spotted the next buoy. I nearly ran over someone which seemed to come out of nowhere, and then I thought about drafting. Unfortunately, they were moving too slow, and with each stroke with a solid glide I was over taking them way too fast to draft. Passed them, and made my way to the turn buoy. I rounded the buoy and then after several strokes I got lost. Instead of turning 90 degrees, I did more like 110-120 degrees and started to sight off of the first buoy vs the next one in line. After a spot, stroke, spot, stroke, spot I realized where I was and what had happened. I quickly corrected to head back out the final buoy, and then back through the two round buoys and to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get lost spotting off the wrong buoys.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was integrated into the swim time, no idea why since there was a mat at T1 entrance and exit. I tried a little different placement of my rip-cord, and it worked. I was able to rip off the top half of my wetsuit in a flash, and since I fully lubed my legs I kicked off the wetsuit with little issue. I need to either fix the spot in my wetsuit where I stepped into it at the Sunbelt Triathlon last year, or cut that part off. It now hangs up on my heel every time; however, I knew to expect that so I was ready. Threw my wetsuit on the rack (for spotting the empty spot later), threw on my helmet and glasses and I was out.

Steph said I passed everyone except two people with the speed of this transition.

Nothing, I was moving fast even with the removal of the wetsuit. I would ballpark T1 around 45 seconds.
Bike
  • 43m 2s
  • 16 miles
  • 22.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I quickly mounted, and took off. I strapped one foot down between speed bumps, and then started bunny hopping them. Once I reached the exit I hung the left and started to find my gears and hammer. I was completely alone for a long while until I started reeling in the guy that started first. I caught him when we turned on the main drag, which I was happy that he was right in front of me since all the bike signs said to turn left, but the officer was pointing right (they had changed the course from and out and back to a two lap course). This guy went right, so I followed, hoping that was correct. I quickly passed him, and knew there had to be one more guy (Tim) out front. I was feeling a bit lost until I came upon the next turn and saw a volunteer, which made me feel good that I was on the course. I continued to hammer back around. The main road back to the park was a mental game, since I thought it was flat, and it ended up being a 1.5 mile flat, climb, flat climb, climb until you get back to the park.

Ok, round two and I knew what to expect. Plus, it was at this time that I really started to find my legs. The hammer-fest was on. After a mile or two I spotted the very BOP and I could tell that biking people down really boosted my overall speed. I sling-shot around that guy, and a couple of others, until I saw two people up front. One of them was Tim, the leader, and the other was a BOP rider. I was not making a ton of ground up on Tim on the decent (even though I was closing on the him), but on the flats and climbs I was reeling him in FAST. I reached the turn to the final road heading back to the park, when I sling-shot around the BOP rider that shot me right up on Tim and then sling-shot around him. After the race, he told me that he had looked back over his right shoulder looking for me, did not see me, but when when returned to looking ahead I came flying past on his left. My timing was perfect, so he did not make a run for it. I guess I pulled a sneak-attack. From there I eased up a tad and increased my cadence to loosen the legs for the run. Tim and I came into T2 more-or-less together.

I need to hammer more, and it took me way too long to settle in and find my gears.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Flying dismount and headed straight for my rack (with the aid of my hanging wetsuit ;) ) No bikes waited our arrival, so I knew we were the leaders. In route to the rack I stuck my glasses in my mount, and took off my helmet. Racked the bike, dropped helmet, glasses back on and sock/shoe, sock/shoe, and I was out. While I put in my shoes Tim asked me if I had started in the back. I answered yes, and he responded with "you have already crushed me". I note that because that pumped me up, and I took off like I was on fire.

Super fast transition, guess is 30 seconds or sub 30.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I had the lead exiting T2, but now I wanted the tape. I HAMMERED the out. Making my way to the damn was a bit deceiving, such as it was longer than I remembered. I have run this course several times, so I was very familiar with it, but it seemed several parts just kept going, and going. However, that did not stop my attack. I kicked it out of T2, up and over that hill right there and onto the cart path. From there rollers until I reach the hill to the damn. I powered up and over that hill, and then down the other side. The top of the damn is completely flat, so I found my rhythm and pressed the pace until the turn around.

At that point, I took inventory on position. I had a solid 1:30-2:00 on Tim, and started hammering back. When Tim and I passed we exchanged fives, which I thought was really cool. Soooo, set it down into a hard pass cruise control, and I decided to give high-fives to everyone I passed. I even gave five to someone that was out for a run, and not part of the race. He gave me an odd look. The OA woman winner (Kim) was in third place overall, and motoring. After the last high-five, I kept the hammer down until the finish. Felt great to finally take a 1st OA victory.

Nothing. I could have run the return faster, but I already had the lead & OA win, so I tried enjoying myself, and hoped everyone else enjoyed the high-fives. :)
Post race
Warm down:

No cool down

I finished up, and took some pictures with Max after he woke up. Other than that, I hit up some water and bannana, and a light stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have pushed harder, but once I knew I had the lead without worry of losing it, I set it into cruise control.

Event comments:

I love the small town feel of the races in Hiawassee. They are laid back, and everyone that is there to race are really good people. You do not run into any BS attitudes, and they are just a great time. Plus, racing in the mountains around the lake is wonderful.

After the race I stretched it out a bit, and woke up Max. The little guy had played himself out. Then I chatted with everyone after that finished, and waited for awards. This would be Max's first podium, and I was pumped that I could take him up for my first 1st OA win.

Picture: Max was pleased with his hardware.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:14 | 660 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 1/32
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Zenith
Course: TT start, send offs were every 5 seconds. Over the mat, down a short bank, and out between two round buoys. From there you hung a left and when down the shore line for two buoys, and then hung a right. Out to a far buoy, and hung another right, past one more buoy, and then between the two round buoys, and then exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:02 | 16 miles | 22.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 1/32
Wind: Little
Course: Exit out of the park over 10 speed bumps, and then it was a two lap course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good