General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #2: Olympic AM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple T - Race #2: Olympic AM - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 4s
Overall Rank = 21/350
Age Group = Co-ed Team
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

I like my transition area the way I like my Scotch: neat. There are three essentials. Bike shoes, helmet, and running shoes. Anything else I forget, I’ll survive without. This fact calms me before a race. I can do this. I’m trained for it. I’ve done it before.
Swim
  • 22m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The time trial swim start is a beautiful thing. You get everyone out quickly and don’t have the noise and unnecessary chaos of a mass start. Granted, the field is small, like 350, so they can actually make this work.

3, 2, 1, and we were off. I got into a beatbox rhythm quickly, tucking my chin like Mayweather and pounding away. Being only my 2nd OWS since IMLP (the first was yesterday), my sighting was for shite. But not many people passed me and I cornered the buoys like I was on rails.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

For once the swim didn’t feel like the 7th circle of Dante’s Inferno and after 2 loops I dragged my ass out and did my best drunken sailor waddle over the sliver riddled wooden bridge to transition.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 2s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year the RD had to change the AM bike course because a massive storm -- that we camped through (oy vey!) -- knocked down some trees on the course. But this year the weather was all peaches and cream, so we got to do Thompson Hill, an advertised steepest 18% grade that, like the first time you get dumped, is not soon forgotten. Thompson comes on a hairpin 90+ degree turn, so you better be in the weenie ring or you’re not keeping rubber side down. I passed Alaina up this hill and opted not to say anything lest I suffer the wrath of a wife scorned. Best to leave that for the finish line.

This course is so great that I don’t just love it, I luff it. I lurve it. I make up new words to describe its beauty. The roads are so smooth that my ass wasn’t sure whether to give the tarmac a tip or a reach around. The forest is a deep green so vibrant that Dorothy would’ve ditched the Emerald City and made like a bear out here. The switchbacks, both ascending and descending are like riding the world’s sickest roller coaster without the saccharine cotton candy smell. If Shawnee State Forest were any closer, I’d ride here every weekend.

Temps were only in the mid-70s, but with the humidity and my not-well-ventilated aero helmet, me brainz started feeling like a toaster strudel, all jelly and too crispy, on the back half of the course. Still finished strong, averaging ~200 watts and around 20.5mph. I had the 20th best bike of the day, which shows what a dirty beotch this course truly is. Happy? Party of One.

Considering the hills, I’m good with that effort. The sticks were ready to rock the run course.

I sang this homage to Dre to keep spirits high:

Rollin' down the street, smokin' bike splits
Sippin' on Heed and GUs
LAID BACK
With my mind on my wattage and my wattage on my mind

Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Dang son, that's one of my best T2s.
Run
  • 43m 8s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Following a lubed-up T2, I hit the run course and started picking people off like the sniper in Full Metal Jacket. I ran comfortably on the uphills and pounded the downhills, keeping my center of gravity well over my feet and relying on my knowledge of the trail’s dirty little secrets to take advantage of where I could gain the most speed. Knowing that the entire way out on this out-n-back was uphill, I didn’t panic or get down on myself as I suffered. The way back would be smooth and fast. Had the 20th best run of the day too. How ‘bout that for consistency?

Crossed the finish line and hit the ice creek for instant recovery. HFP feeds its athletes after every single race, no small feat and most appreciated. Awesome organizers. I ate as much as I could knowing that the PM Olympic would feel at least 2x as hard as this one.
Post race
Warm down:

I’ve never run a stand-alone Olympic distance race, so this 2:19:04 is a PR for me, even with the posted long 6.55 mile run. Wahoo! Oh, and I beat Alaina by 7 whole entire minutes on this race. :-D I’m king of the Case house...for this week.

Last updated: 2011-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:02 | 24.8 miles | 20.66 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:08 | 06.55 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Hilly trail run out-n-back on Lamp Black Trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-25 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: American Triple T - Race #2: Olympic AM

2011-05-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3519059

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: American Triple T - Race #2: Olympic AM

Picking off like a sniper??  You're dangerous.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #2: Olympic AM Rss Feed