General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-17 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3519372

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread
It will be a cold start tomorrow morning! Good luck everyone.

2011-09-17 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

Indeed it will be a cold start,  Water temps drop about 2 degrees since I checked in on Friday.  It will probably do another 2 by tomorrow at this rate, looking at 63 degrees.  The 65 didn't feel too bad once you got used to it.  Not sure how the bike is going to be when I'm all wet and it's still chili out.  I will be hoping for a bunch of sun for sure.  Good luck everybody!!!

2011-09-20 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
How did everybody do?  I was happy being my 1st HIM and 5th Tri all together.  My main goal was to just get out of the water in good shape since my first 3 Tri's were swimming failures and the 4th was my best swim to date.  So going 1.2 miles would be a great test.  After getting out of the water feeling really good it seemed like I forgot what my game plan was because I was so caught up in the moment.  My bike time was better then I had guessed which means I pushed harder then I was supposed to which showed up on the run when my quads seized up on me to the point I couldn't move.  I stretched the best I could and kept moving forward.  It was a painful 13.1 run but I finished it.  It definitely could have been better but I was only off by about 9 minutes from where I calculated I would finish.  It was a good day all in all.  I know what I have to work on over the winter for Lake Placid. 
2011-09-21 5:25 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
My day was similar to yours. I took 40 min off last year (mostly on bike and transition times), I hit my goal...but felt like crap and am scared to death that I have to do double that at lake placid! I've got a lot of work to do! I need to work on everything...endurance, speed, and nutrition. Oh well its become a way of life so I'll enjoy the ride!

2011-09-21 5:27 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
another thought on syracuse 70.3 - I dont have the official numbers but last year there were somewhere around 1700-1800 people I think. This year I think it was less than 900...I doubt they'll come back for those kinds of numbers...anyone hear anything yet?
2011-09-21 7:36 AM

Regular
One of the volunteers at the end of the race said to me come back again next year, it will be warmer and then threw out a June date.  So maybe they are thinking that September in Syracuse is just too cold and hope to boost numbers by making it in the summer. I just checked and it is listed for June 24th on the Ironman website for next year.

2011-09-21 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3694420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

TheCuse - 2011-09-21 5:27 AM another thought on syracuse 70.3 - I dont have the official numbers but last year there were somewhere around 1700-1800 people I think. This year I think it was less than 900...I doubt they'll come back for those kinds of numbers...anyone hear anything yet?

It looks like there were 1604 finishers last year and only 878 this year.  Add a few more bodies from DNF'ers and you're probably about right.

I wonder why the drop.  The new run course couldn't have scared away that many people (and it shouldn't since I'd rather have a tougher course around J'Ville than that eyesore of a course threw the 'Cuse ghetto).

They're contracted to have the race through 2013 but if numbers don't pick up, I doubt the contract will be renewed.  Why would it?

I don't think the June date will help either.  There are so many races in the northeast in that mid-June to mid-July timeframe.  Rev 3 Quassy, Mooseman, Tupper Lake Half, Musselman, Syracuse 70.3, Mt. Tremblant 70.3 and Rhode Island 70.3.

2011-09-22 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3694532

User image

East Syracuse, New York
GMAN 19030 - 2011-09-21 7:41 AM

TheCuse - 2011-09-21 5:27 AM another thought on syracuse 70.3 - I dont have the official numbers but last year there were somewhere around 1700-1800 people I think. This year I think it was less than 900...I doubt they'll come back for those kinds of numbers...anyone hear anything yet?

It looks like there were 1604 finishers last year and only 878 this year.  Add a few more bodies from DNF'ers and you're probably about right.

I wonder why the drop.  The new run course couldn't have scared away that many people (and it shouldn't since I'd rather have a tougher course around J'Ville than that eyesore of a course threw the 'Cuse ghetto).

They're contracted to have the race through 2013 but if numbers don't pick up, I doubt the contract will be renewed.  Why would it?

I don't think the June date will help either.  There are so many races in the northeast in that mid-June to mid-July timeframe.  Rev 3 Quassy, Mooseman, Tupper Lake Half, Musselman, Syracuse 70.3, Mt. Tremblant 70.3 and Rhode Island 70.3.

I knew 9 people who did it last year and only 3 of us did it again this year. Most of them were runners who had done a couple sprints and wanted to do the inaugural race...but don't really have the time/desire to train that much every year. 5 of them said they would probably do it next year if it comes back, so hopefully thats a common theme and next year gets a better turn out.

I agree 100% on the run being an improvement. It was harder but last years run was about as ugly as it gets.

Yeah the timing could go either way...like sublimekid said, it would be nice to get out of the water in temps above 50...but you're right about the number of people syracuse 70.3 would lose to those other races. Would probably get more local people but maybe not as many they would lose. Doesnt really look promising.

2011-10-02 5:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I'm considering Syracuse next summer.... anyone care to share your impressions of the race?
2011-10-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3707942

User image

East Syracuse, New York

Its the only 1/2 I've ever done...so I dont have anything to compare it to. Jamesville beach is nice little county park 20min south of Syracuse.  The swim is in a small sheltered lake...no wind or waves to speak of. The bike starts with a nice gradual 2 mile down hill into jamesville and then 10-12 miles of long gradual climbing...no real big hills...just non stop. From there on its up and down gentle rolling hills with the exception of one hill that is 1/4 - 1/2 mile long and very steep. The run is nice...couple hills, but some easy down hills to make up for it. I think its a pretty course through rolling hills of farm lands and some woods. The weather has been great last 2 yrs...little too cold in the morning but great on the bike and run. Obviously with the change to June that will change...should be nice, but up here it could be 95 or could get a flurry the 1st week of june. Another secret at Jamesville beach is the public bathrooms are open and nobody seems to know it...no lines. They will also let you bring an rv and camp there but no tents for some reason.

The 1st year there were twice as many participants as this year and traffic getting into Jamesville from Syracuse was horrible the morning of the race...I think they had to delay the start as people were still showing up. I drove around it this year so im not sure if it was better. There were less people and hopefully they had better traffic control via local cops etc. I mention this because I see you are from Philly area...anyone coming from the south there is a best western right off of rt 81 in Tully that is about 10-15 min from Jamesville and you can come in from the back side of the park. I had friends stay there the 1st year and they had no traffic issues at all and I spent 45 mins-1 hr in bumper to bumper coming from the syracuse side. I think its a nice race but I do it because Im local and its convenient...

I also just got an early entry e-mail for $199 so its couple bucks cheaper this year too. Hope that helps, If there was anything specific you were looking for just ask. A bunch of the people here did it Im sure someone can answer. Mike

2011-10-03 4:21 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Thanks for the info - just what I was looking for! Sounds like a nice course - I like a course with some terrain variation! It's sounding pretty tempting... Anyone have any idea why numbers dropped off so much from year 1 to year 2??

2011-10-03 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3708660

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I think a lot of local people did it the 1st year because it was an inaugural "ironman" race. I knew 9  people who did it. It was the 1st triathlon for 2 of them and the 1st half for 4 others. I heard more than 1 of them say training for it took up too much of their summer so they didnt think they would do it every year. Most of them have said they will probably do it again this year. For the out of towners who did it I'll bet the traffic getting there race day was a HUGE turn off...it was really poor planning in my opinion. Also the run course was really bad the 1st year. The race finish was at the "inner harbor" in downtown syracuse. 7-8 miles of the race was down one of the busiest, ugliest parts of town. Traffic was backed up all over. Drivers were ticked off, the cops directing traffic were ticked off...we got to suck in a lot of carbon monoxide and listen to drivers grumble...and although i liked the idea of finishing a the inner harbor, I didnt like having to take a shuttle bus 20-30 min back to jamesville to get my bike and stuff. This year it started and ended at the park and was much nicer. Hopefully someone will comment on the traffic getting there this year. But with half the people it will be hard to tell if it was handled better or if it was better due to less people.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Syracuse : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2