Start 2 Finish, Inc.
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 53m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/79
Pre-race routine:

had a pretty solid night's sleep, woke up and gathered up my gear laid out from the night before. Gave the kids/wife a kiss and headed out.. Water and Gatorade prior to the event. Got setup in Transition, eyed the clouds..looked at the little platic shopping bag i brought for keeping my shoes dry.. and put it away.. not sure why the $%%$ I did that.. Walked around / hung around with my friend until the families woke up and came down to watch us start. Toyed back and forth with wetsuit/no-wetsuit, ended up not using it, water temp was plenty comfortable.
Event warmup:

walking.. dodging lightning bolts..you know normal pre-race stuff
Swim
  • 37m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

swim started out ok, one of the very last waves to go. had problems sighting (actually just SEEING) the smaller buoys, goggles kept fogging up, kicked in face once but no biggie.. was doing "ok" until my left calf LOCKED on me about 75 yds from the finish.. with the lake being so shallow, hopped to continue forward motion until I could get it to loosen up.. cost me a couple of minutes and it would stay with me through the rest of the race
What would you do differently?:

not get kicked in the face, not cramp.. figure out why my goggles were fogging..
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

didn't start out with shoes clipped in, able to run on the grass without issue and get up to speed pretty quickly..

learn to mount with shoes mounted
Bike
  • 1h 15m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

bike was good, headwinds on the first 10 or so miles made it challenging, had to be mindful of that left calf... kept complaining every time I tried to put some power down, had to continually stand up/stretch, massage until probably 15 miles into it.. able to leverage the crosswind/tailwinds at that point. kept the pace on the up side of 23mph, would've been nice to put more power down earlier. Only complaint were the reflectors staggered accross the roadway by the stopsigns, talk about sketchy the first time through! also, lightning made for a nice show..wondered to myself how good of a conductor CF is..

not cramp on the swim then carry that into the bike.. other than that, drink a little more. good bike overall
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

i think i put my bike into the right slot, but was hard to say.. put front wheel in vs. rear wheel.. don't recall now, but I think i got it right.

re-rack on the same side as my gear. also, not have a quad cramp take place when bending over to put on running shoes.
Run
  • 56m 49s
  • 6.71 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

so if I would've USED the bag I brought with me, life would've been a little better, but didn't have TOO much of an effect. for the first time EVER I had to pee at the start of the run, that took a minute out of my time, but couldn't hold it and couldn't pee and run. flat course, overcast and rain, didn't mind it one bit.. felt pretty good, would've liked to pick the pace up, but legs were running on E towards the end and that @%$^ calf was still b!tching and moaning a little.
no excuses though, decent run.
high school football team was a good group. enjoyed them.

see above about not cramping calf..
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, drink perform..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my swim sucked, calf cramp.. other than that it's just HTFU.

Event comments:

excellent event. love the instant race results and the touch screen offering to get your info. kidz quest was great and will be leveraged next year as my wife will be doing the OLY as well. S2F put on a great race.

Last updated: 2011-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:54 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/79
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: funky shaped rectangle with a dogleg left then a hard right. little long from what everyone said
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:12 | 24.85 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: electrifying! flat and wet with strategically placed reflectors
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:49 | 06.71 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: out and back, flat course.. 1/2 mile too long.. which i felt towards the end when i picked the pace up.. wet/rainy..but overall good.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-26 11:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Memphis in May Triathlon

2011-05-27 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3521184

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Memphis in May Triathlon
Tough break on the calf but you still had a great race. Way to stick it out! Agree with you that the new venue is terrific and I look forward to seeing you out there next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Triathlon Rss Feed