General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hammonton, New Jersey
United States
Hammonton Recreation Department
Total Time = 1h 11m 23s
Overall Rank = 81/198
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 5:24 with Linda Richey. Passed the other Richeys on I-95. Arrived at the race site at 6:20. Good timing.
Event warmup:

No warm up to speak of. I was pretty relaxed.
Swim
  • 06m 55s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt pretty tired starting the swim. My race plan was to draft off of the two Richey boys--Andrew and Bobby--since they were in my wave. That didn't even last two strokes. They were gone in a flash. There were a few other young boys in front of me at the start and when the gun went off, there was lots of churning and they were gone. I didn't feel good until I was almost finished the swim. I was finally getting into it and it was time to get out.
What would you do differently?:

I feel like I need open water practice. The first tri of the season is always hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Some guy in my row lost his chip because he had it on his running shoe. He must've been in the du and wanted to put biking shoes on. I lost my concentration in an effort to help him look for his chip.

Mind my own business.
Bike
  • 38m 35s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty strong on the bike; strong for me. I was passing a lot of people from the earlier waves. Towards the end of the bike was when Bonnie (the woman in my age group) passed me on her Cervello P2 for the final time. I busied myself with drinking and didn't try to stay with her. I figured I'd catch her on the run.

Don't let people in my age group get by so easily.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Run
  • 22m 34s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good in the beginning of the run. I passed George right away. He had started 6 minutes ahead of me. I was concentrating on passing people and trying to catch Bonnie. I figured I had plenty of time and that I should run my own race. It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't making up that much time on her. About a quarter of a mile from the end, I passed Andrew. He looked over at me with a surprised look and cheerfully said "hi". That was easy, I thought. Then out of nowhere, he took off in a full speed sprint. If only I could've stayed with him. He passed Bonnie!
Post race
Warm down:

Frank came to watch Stacey race today. He ended up misplacing his car key (he thinks he locked it in his truck) and I had to drive them home. It's a good thing I had a van big enough to hold another bike and two more people.

Event comments:

The award ceremony was a little weird. The announcer was in the center of the picnic grove. But the awards were given out under the pavillion so you never actually saw anyone that received an award. Everyone was looking at the guy with the microphone.

Last updated: 2011-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:55 | 402 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 35/198
Performance:
Suit: long sleeve wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:35 | 12 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 111/198
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:34 | 03 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 51/198
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-28 7:11 PM

User image

Subject: Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon

2011-05-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3523250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon

Nice Linda.  Normally I would agree about "running your own race."  BUT, in a sprint scenario with only a 5k left - balls to the wall!!!!!! lol  You'll get that Bonnie next time.

Sticking with the young Richeys on the swim is something I would never try. Of course, though, I suck at swimming.

It was nice of you to help that fellow with his timing chip, but those could have been the seconds you needed ;-)

Good job on the race and the race report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hammonton Recreation Department Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed