Overall Rank = 69/94
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

14/29 overall female
15/29 swim
10/29 bike
26/29 run

Packed up Saturday night. B'fast was a PB bagel and coffee on the drive down. Not much else to do.
Event warmup:

None. It was raining when we got there and the mud was terrible. Nasty. Transition was a swamp. I took the bike out for a very short spin to make sure everything was working, but no other warm up. Chatted with Bill and Wendy, Mike, Paige and Aaron, and Josh. Nice to see such a good TriRoch turnout.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 402 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim. They changed the "beach" there and we were able to start on the beach instead of a dock. That made it possible to get in ahead of time to warm up a bit. That was good. My wave was pretty small, so I lined up at the front and had a good swim. Not much traffic. My stupid goggles kept fogging up, but I didn't bother to stop since they were using the huge buoys which are easy to see.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Pretty typical T1. It was hard to tip-toe through the swamp and up the muddy hill on the way out. I didn't know I'd signed up a cyclocross race! Every step I could feel the water seeping up through the drain holes in my shoes. Gross. Luckily I didn't have much trouble getting clipped in.

Maybe chat less with people around me. But hey, this is supposed to be fun!
Bike
  • 1h 09m 35s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. We started out with a tailwind. I knew that I needed to bank speed since the wind really slows me down. Without HR data, I just had speed and time to pace off of. Bill and I had ridden this course the week before, so I didn't have to think much about where I was going. Just had to get the job done. It seemed that I wasn't passing many people, but no one was passing me either. Actually it seemed kind of lonely out there, but I guess that was because it's such a small race. Coming back into the wind was tough, but I guess I'm used to it. Don't like it, but can handle it fine.

Nothing. This was a bike PR for this race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I didn't want to jump off the bike and risk re-injuring my foot, so I had to do the full stop then get of the bike method. So much slower. Then a careful tip-toe down the muddy bank to the bike racks. I didn't want to slip, fall and be covered in muck, so I took my time. I sat down to put on socks and shoes and took the opportunity to fix my bra. Can run unhooked!
Run
  • 46m 32s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah, the running. Since I haven't run much at all since Mankato, I was actually kind of enjoying this run. Just to be able to run again is really nice. I caught up with this guy in a Rabbobank jersey who I had passed on the bike but lost out of T2. I could tell he was struggling, so I tried to get him to run with me. He hung for about a half mile, but had to drop back. Then I found a guy just out for a training run and stayed with him for a while. I also saw a mamma duck with her babies crossing the road. I probably looked like an idiot because I was smiling most of the time, but I'm just so damm happy to be able to run again. I kept my pace slow (even for me) and just enjoyed the trip. Still I was glad to see the finish since I knew this was well past the 3.5 distance I'd trained for.

Not a thing. Happy with this effort for where my training has been.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food, saw Paige and Aaron finish their first tris together. Very cool. Then we saw Bill come in. Josh and Mike were already done (of course). When I was changing clothes, I heard Jerry start awards. I heard him call my name for 3rd in my AG. Very cool! Technically, I was 4th, but the overall female winner was in my AG, so they pulled her from AG awards. After picking up my medal, we went to get some much deserved lunch. In all, a fun day despite the weather.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual.

Event comments:

This must be a good race if we keep coming back. It can't be the weather, that's for sure. I did like the other venue, but the improvements to the swim start were appreciated.

Last updated: 2011-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 402 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 52/94
Performance: Good
I bought a neoprene swim cap (aka Squid Lid) and what a difference! My head was toasty warm.
Suit: Promotion full sleeve
Course: Triangle with 2 buoys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:35 | 20.5 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 55/94
No HR data. Somehow my bra came unhooked in the wetsuit struggle and the strap doesn't fit tight without the bra holding it all together. Really need to think about this bra problem more.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Country roads out in the wind.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:32 | 04.2 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 87/94
Avg HR- 161 Max HR- 172 Nice to have HR data.
Course: Wandering loop by the lake. I assumed (wrongly) that it was the 3.5 that they had advertised instead of the 4.20 that it actually was. Not sure why I assumed this since the venue was back at the old site. Who knows what I was thinking. Not much I could have done except worry, so I'm glad I didn't think about it too much.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-28 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Land Between the Lakes Triathlon

2011-05-28 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3523271

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Land Between the Lakes Triathlon
Congratulations on a great race and a bike PR!
2011-05-28 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3523283

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Land Between the Lakes Triathlon
I wondered how it went.  Glad you enjoyed the run!  Congrats on the medal!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Land Between the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed