General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food Poisoning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-29 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Calgary
Subject: Food Poisoning

Ugh.

Just over 3 weeks to my HIM and I got food poisoning. I've missed two long workouts, dropped 7 pounds (which I don't need to lose),  and generally feel like crap (but much better than two days ago).

How long to wait before resuming training? 

2011-05-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3523588

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Food Poisoning
Not all food poisoning is the same but I was down and out for a week.  I went really light the following week.  I had it really bad though. 
2011-05-29 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland

real no kidding food poisoning will kick your , sounds like what you have. I have it multiple times. It is no fun.

Usually takes about 24hrs from the time symptoms start till the time you begin to feel better again. But those 24hrs are pure hell. You probably havent eaten or drank anything in that time.  Good news is you'll be fine in a few days. Once you can start keeping water down get yourself hydrated again and slowly ease back into training. You'll feel weak for a few days but you should bounce back.

2011-05-29 3:37 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary

Ya, I'd say this is a bad bout of it. It's now 48 hours since the symptoms started. I can keep liquids down and just started on noodles.

I'm wondering about the 7 lbs in weight loss. Can it all be from fluid loss? Granted, there has been a lot of fluid lost directly due to the symptoms, but is some of the weight loss fat or muscle too?

Edited by dmckeen 2011-05-29 3:39 PM
2011-05-29 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3523810

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

There is no reason to believe you have lost 7lb's of muscle mass in 24 hours.  You are dehydrated.  Most of your fuel processing system has been wiped out.  If you  were to attempt an endurance event at the current time you would not have you typical reserves of energy.  Are you still running a fever?  I would recommend no training until your fever subsides.  In the mean while drink lots of your favorite lo-carb electrolyte replacement beverage and you'll minimize the damage (dehydraton) done during your battle with the bug.

I feel you pain.

2011-05-29 11:27 PM

I'm just curious:  How do you know its food poisoning?

2011-05-30 4:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh--sounds like a familiar story. I had a nasty case about six weeks ago and made the mistake of resuming normal training once I felt halfway decent but before I got my appetite back. I don't know about other people but in my case there can be a lag between those of 3-7 days when I feel okay but simply don't feel like eating much.  I would not train at all while you are having any symptoms; ease back into training until you can physically handle, and want to eat, your normal intake of food. I'm still trying to gain back the 4 pounds or so I lost, so it wasn't just water weight. I'm naturally very lean anyway, so there wasn't a lot of  extra to begin with.  Guessing my poor body tried to consume itself when I wasn't fueling it enough. It didn't seem to affect my running or swimming, but did seem to hurt my strength for the bike (such as it is) and ability to recover from hard workouts and races. Taking some time off from hard training after good A race now to recover.
2011-05-30 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I had a nasty case of food poisoning last year. Took about 3 days before I could eat anything solid ir even wanted to think about eating anything solid. I was totally wiped out for about 3 days, and didn't have enough strength to workout out for 5 days. The weight and strength came back to 100% after about 10 days. So it you have 3 weeks till your HIM you should be OK. A couple of missed workouts won't kill you or your perfromance.

Good Luck!
2011-05-30 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

a bunch of us did a metric century and all went out to eat after and got "food poisoning" as a result.

turned out to be viral and not bacterial, specifically Norwalk Virus.  the Dept of Health got involved and that's how we found out it was Norwalk.

Took about 2-3 weeks to get completely over it. Really awful, we tried to get back in the "swing" of training, but it kept us down.

incubation period was really long, so we all blamed it on other sources.

as you probably know lots of different bacteria's and viruses can cause food poisoning, it might be worth trying to figure out what it is/was.  and report it if you suspect it came from a restaurant.

2011-05-30 11:52 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary

Well, it's day three since my symptoms appeared. I can keep food down and the fever is gone.

I mowed the lawn today and *that* was tiring enough. So I'm going to take the week off to allow my body to recover.

@ fit4infinity. You wrote to drink a low carb beverage? I haven't seen that advice for recovering from FP. (The bananas, rice, apples, toast, and crackers I'm eating are all full of carbs)

@ jmot.  I'm 99% certain it was food poisoning based on the symptoms and their timing.

My wife and I think it is from a salad we made. We are diligent about washing our veggies, but are thinking it might have been the canned bamboo shoots or water chestnuts we used. It makes me wonder if I should quit being a vegetarian and go back to eating meat. ;-)

2011-05-31 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3524990

User image

Payson, AZ
dmckeen - 2011-05-30 9:52 PM

Well, it's day three since my symptoms appeared. I can keep food down and the fever is gone.

I mowed the lawn today and *that* was tiring enough. So I'm going to take the week off to allow my body to recover.

@ fit4infinity. You wrote to drink a low carb beverage? I haven't seen that advice for recovering from FP. (The bananas, rice, apples, toast, and crackers I'm eating are all full of carbs)

@ jmot.  I'm 99% certain it was food poisoning based on the symptoms and their timing.

My wife and I think it is from a salad we made. We are diligent about washing our veggies, but are thinking it might have been the canned bamboo shoots or water chestnuts we used. It makes me wonder if I should quit being a vegetarian and go back to eating meat. ;-)

Ironically I was vegetarian as well when I got food poisoning.  I did go back to eating meat.   Not for that reason though.  I'd actually report the food poisoning so that they can track the source.  If there is a product with it it rarely is just the stuff you took home.  Mine was from salad.  Washing helps but it is not foolproof sadly so it might still have been that.  Glad your feeling better.  I always heard of the 1-2 day symptoms and mine went on for a full week.  I eventually had to go to the dr and they were pretty close to sending me to emergancy for rehydration.  Poweraid became my friend, stuff I normally wouldn't touch.

2011-05-31 7:37 AM

Highly doubtful you got food poisoning from canned veggies and lived to talk about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Food Poisoning Rss Feed