Red Lizard Running Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 30s
Overall Rank = 70/98
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 14/20
Pre-race routine:

Picked up a Breakfast Burrito at McDonalds two hours before the race. I had a RS Recovery Drink that I sipped on. I took 1/2 a Vivaron15 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

15 minutes prior to the start I did some light running drills and stretched my calves.to get warmed. In the future I may want to add some hamstring drills also.
Run
  • 43m 30s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was quite surprised to get thru the first mile in early 8’s. Since I felt good I continued on at the same effort level. I ran cleanly thru the trail and worked at a consistent pace to the top of the hill. I was keeping my heart rate at 160 which is about 5 heart beats faster than I thought I could comfortably run. I passed a couple of runners but was passed by about 5. Three of the five runners passed me in the last quarter mile. I walked the steep ravine at mile three. I started falling apart at about mile 4.5.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know what I would do differently. I do know that I need to increase my average run times by 10 to 15 minutes over the next three weeks. That should get me thru 5 miles without dying.
Post race
Warm down:

I did some light stretching and ate some food. I spent about 30 minutes at the finish before heading to the gym. I spent 15 minutes cycling then swam for 30 minutes. My left leg is sore. We will see how it feels tomorrow.

Event comments:

What can I say; I am very happy with this run. I started surprisingly fast and held it for 4.5 miles. I am hoping that my left leg feels OK tomorrow. Mostly I am hoping that I can build off this effort and get even faster.

Last updated: 2011-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:30 | 05 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 20/98
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a five mile almost out and back due to a loop in the middle. The beginning is a downhill from State Street to the park. Paved trail then takes you to Old River Road which takes you south and generally uphill to the Sothern most tip of the run. You circle a Grade School and then head back north. At about the 3 mile mark there is a ravine with a short down then uphill which is a good 8 to 10 degree pitch. Once at the top you tie back into Old River Road and return to the paved trail and the finish. The finish is at the bottom parking lot of John Henry Park. You are spared the short steep climb to the starting area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No