Reston Masters Swim Team
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 44s
Overall Rank = 98/144
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal, big cup of tea and then a warm up by cycling to Lake Audubon.
Event warmup:

Lake Audubon is just 7 miles from where I live so a perfect warm up cycling along the W&OD trail. Lovely morning, lots of deer everywhere, got a bit lost coming off the trail but was there in plenty of time.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 44s
  • 3219 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was only my second open water swim and previous one was 750yds so maybe a bit ambitious taking on a 2miler. Pleased to have got around, although disappointed with the time. I was hoping my Garmin could shed some light on what happened but it seems to have gone haywire and recorded me swimming 5.1 miles. Maybe I just navigated really badly? Felt great on the first lap, felt like I had loads in the tank. Concentrated on gliding on my side and really pulling my arms through at the end of the strokes. Treid doing some drafting but never quite worked, either people ahead were too fast or too slow.

Despite what garmin says, I think my navigation was good, was able to spot buoys well ahead and swam to them in what seemed a straight line.

I got swam over a couple of times, which I think was when being lapped. Not really a problem, but did make me lose my rhythm.

Second lap, I tried pushing it a bit, but think that was at cost of technique and probably ended up going slower overall. Really struggled for last 0.5m which was really new territory for me. Tried to stay strong, but found that my left arm was struggling to come out of the water cleanly and caught a couple of times. Probably looked very messy looking on from the bank! Was glad to finish, and was surprised how slow it was, but can only improve next time.

Post race
Warm down:

Gatoraded up, then 7 mile cycle home for a warm down

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think body positioning is main issue, as for 3/4 of the race felt strong and was probably not transferring it very well to the water.

Event comments:

Nice race to have on the doorstep. Looking forward to a 5km next year. Well organised and wave system worked well without too much thumping and jostling at the start.

Last updated: 2011-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:44 | 3219 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 98/144
Performance:
Suit: yes
Course: 2 laps around Lake Audubon.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average